Thoughts on Fun Ships 2.0 announced today

NAUdebo

Exciting changes. All would really appeal to me! Thanks for taking the time to summarize. I have been away from the boards all day so it was great to see all the changes at once.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm glad this helped clear things up and put it all in one place.

I think all of these additions sound great, but nothing says "wow" to me or is anything that you can't find on another line. I like Carnival -- we've done four with them and are doing a fifth in December -- but we've also cruised on Celebrity, HAL and NCL. I was ready for us to check out the Breeze next year, 'til I realized that, although I'm sure the ship will be beautiful, it'll still be too "been there, done that" for me. We're checking out the Allure of the Seas instead. Yes, we're paying almost double what we would for a similar sailing on Carnival, but I'm willing to do that for something totally new/different.

Jenbo, your comment here is really on the mark. There's nothing in these updates that will be seen as revolutionary and groundbreaking. I can understand your choice to try Allure instead of the Breeze, and if money was no object, I'd enjoy trying Oasis or Allure. A lot of people, especially families, aren't in a position to pay almost twice as much for a different mainstream cruise line. What these new amenities really accomplish is to help Carnival cruisers feel like they're not missing out on all the innovations in the cruise industry over the last 10 years. It helps bring Carnival closer to parity with Royal on the amount of onboard activities and dining, at a much better price point.

I love 99 percent of the changes. Ok, I love all the changes but I have a personal rub with the Alchemy lounge. I am not fond of the concept of alcohol being used as a 'prescription' and clean sterile pharmacy vibe that is communicated through the area. Pharmaceuticals have surpassed alcohol as the number one killer in the US, alcohol follows. Alcohol along with prescription drugs are extremely destructive to our health. I think that the Alchemy lounge where you get a prescription for your ailment takes the health warnings of prescription drugs and alcohol just a little too lightly. It would be the first thing that came to my mind when I would try to participate in there. The design of Alchemy stands on it's own.. it's gorgeous.

I think that the RCL and NCL cruise changes were a game changer for Carnival. What I like is that they really didnt jump into anything too quickly. They did their research, planned, designed and then rolled it out for the public to see. I think this is good stuff from Carnival and some of this stuff will be wildly popular.

I know I will be booking another Liberty (great ship) cruise soon. Kudos to Carnival for trying to improve the vacation experience and knowing their demographic.

No your not being a jerk. I appreciate the information, and agree completely. Firefly just likes royal better. Seen her on many threads there. just saying. lol

Sorry Firefly, I really hate seeing these posts turn into personal attacks. IMHO the worst thing about CC, otherwise I LOVE it.

I like Carnival very much but I also like to try other lines just to compare. I've been on all the CC lines except for Cunard and Seaborne. This comming november RCCL has the best special that I've ever seen. It's on the Navigator of the seas on Nov 6th from Rome to FLL for 2 weeks. We're paying $800 a person inside cabin and also including tax, and tips and also 1 specialty dinner. I haven't been on RCCL before but will try it now in Nov. Have a great day everyone.

I like Carnival very much but I also like to try other lines just to compare. I've been on all the CC lines except for Cunard and Seaborne. This comming november RCCL has the best special that I've ever seen. It's on the Navigator of the seas on Nov 6th from Rome to FLL for 2 weeks. We're paying $800 a person inside cabin and also including tax, and tips and also 1 specialty dinner. I haven't been on RCCL before but will try it now in Nov. Have a great day everyone.

RCI and NCL sometimes even goes as low as 500 for the TAs. Have for years.

Back to the changes, I was wondering about the Red Frog. Last time I looked they charged for their food which surprised me since it seemed to be a menu like the Fish and Chips which as no charge. Will Fish and Chips stay on the ships that have it?? I'm thinking that area may be were some of the improvements will go.

Am I the only one excited about Cherry on Top going fleet wide? I'm just a kid at heart and on my last cruise, I even mentioned to DH how cool a candy store would be. Of course, I am not having to cruise with my kids, now that they are grown!

Jenbo, your comment here is really on the mark. There's nothing in these updates that will be seen as revolutionary and groundbreaking. I can understand your choice to try Allure instead of the Breeze, and if money was no object, I'd enjoy trying Oasis or Allure. A lot of people, especially families, aren't in a position to pay almost twice as much for a different mainstream cruise line. What these new amenities really accomplish is to help Carnival cruisers feel like they're not missing out on all the innovations in the cruise industry over the last 10 years. It helps bring Carnival closer to parity with Royal on the amount of onboard activities and dining, at a much better price point.

You are correct. Carnival is trying to narrow the gap.

I think that the RCL and NCL cruise changes were a game changer for Carnival. What I like is that they really didnt jump into anything too quickly. They did their research, planned, designed and then rolled it out for the public to see. I think this is good stuff from Carnival and some of this stuff will be wildly popular.

I know I will be booking another Liberty (great ship) cruise soon. Kudos to Carnival for trying to improve the vacation experience and knowing their demographic.

I agree with you, Plus there are carnival high ups that do read cruise critic and talk to normal people....with that being said, They Listened and see what people want and its a great start in the right direction :)

Where is the list of ships that are getting a Waterpark?

I saw it late last night and now I cant find it...I saw it after I watched the New Carnival Video..I will keep looking for it...lol If anyone else can find it or has info regarding whether or not they will be changing the water slides or slide on the Liberty please post :)

Sounds like a Carnival employee had some spare time on their hands.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

Agree. Carnival is playing catch up and they still are not there. No way did they kick anyone in the teeth.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

I pretty agree with everything you wrote. I see this entire initiative as Carnival playing "catch up" with the rest of the industry. Having well-known branded business partners is the flavor of the month so to speak, and most of the other mass-markets lines already have well established "brands" on their ships. Of course Disney Cruise Line doesn't need these partnerships since they are already so well recognized.

I do miss the days when Carnival thought outside the box, and the entire industry just waited to see what they would do next. Those days are over and today Carnival is pretty much a follower (in pretty much everything but revenue).

I would also like to see new ship designs from Carnival. The 1996 Destiny Design that has been tweaked and tweaked more times than I can recall is certainly outdated. You can only stuff so many cabins and features onto a limited hull design. It's time for something new, and I think these new initiatives plus the updated decor of CARNIVAL BREEZE is providing a peak into what will come next. I have read from reliable sources that CARNIVAL BREEZE will be the LAST of the Destiny Class derivatives (that god for that!).

I don't personally think we will ever see anything from Carnival like OASIS or ALLURE. Not really sure it matters to the masses that are attracted to Carnival. Carnival is price driven and those most attracted to Carnival look at price as the driving factor in the decision making process. So long as Carnival keeps the prices low, and still offers perceived value they will continue to do well especially in this economy.

The same can be said for companies like McDonalds and WalMart. Both are the most successful in their industry, and both appeal to the masses mainly on price. Neither is particularly innovative or offers the best quality or customer experience ... but both are immensely popular with the masses because they are cheap and offer perceived value. Carnival basically has the same business model today.

At least Carnival realizes they can't completely rely on price alone, and are taking action to have recognizable brands as business partners. Of course this is something realized long ago by Carnival's competitors. Recognizable brands are another thing the masses seem to gravitate to, so it's fitting they have found their way onto mass-market cruise ships.

Ernie

I pretty agree with everything you wrote. I see this entire initiative as Carnival playing "catch up" with the rest of the industry. Having well-known branded business partners is the flavor of the month so to speak, and most of the other mass-markets lines already have well established "brands" on their ships. Of course Disney Cruise Line doesn't need these partnerships since they are already so well recognized.

I do miss the days when Carnival thought outside the box, and the entire industry just waited to see what they would do next. Those days are over and today Carnival is pretty much a follower (in pretty much everything but revenue).

I would also like to see new ship designs from Carnival. The 1996 Destiny Design that has been tweaked and tweaked more times than I can recall is certainly outdated. You can only stuff so many cabins and features onto a limited hull design. It's time for something new, and I think these new initiatives plus the updated decor of CARNIVAL BREEZE is providing a peak into what will come next. I have read from reliable sources that CARNIVAL BREEZE will be the LAST of the Destiny Class derivatives (that god for that!).

I don't personally think we will ever see anything from Carnival like OASIS or ALLURE. Not really sure it matters to the masses that are attracted to Carnival. Carnival is price driven and those most attracted to Carnival look at price as the driving factor in the decision making process. So long as Carnival keeps the prices low, and still offers perceived value they will continue to do well especially in this economy.

The same can be said for companies like McDonalds and WalMart. Both are the most successful in their industry, and both appeal to the masses mainly on price. Neither is particularly innovative or offers the best quality or customer experience ... but both are immensely popular with the masses because they are cheap and offer perceived value. Carnival basically has the same business model today.

At least Carnival realizes they can't completely rely on price alone, and are taking action to have recognizable brands as business partners. Of course this is something realized long ago by Carnival's competitors. Recognizable brands are another thing the masses seem to gravitate to, so it's fitting they have found their way onto mass-market cruise ships.

Ernie

Very well said and very true.

That's pretty funny... sometimes I wish I could be a cruise line employee instead of my real job now! Trust me, I'm not a Carnival employee

It's nice that RCCL offers all of these things and more, but it's given at a significantly higher base fare and constant nickel and diming.

Its comments like these that make people think you are a Carnival employee. RCL does no more nickel and diming than Carnival. You can spend as little or as much as you want. I just got off Oasis and the new FREE venues to eat were great. Loved Johnny Rockets for breakfast FREE, and Park Cafe and the solarium were a toss up which I liked better for lunch. Face painting was Free, andthen onto the Promenade Cafe for cookies and on and on. You can easily not spend a dime onboard except for tips, your choice. Same as Carnival. Both have great free choices. I wish Carnival would add the flavored water actually, free on RCL.

lets not go into Carnival cheerleader mode. I dont like Carnival bashing on RCL from folks who dont know better, nor RCL bashing over here. The lines are more alike than not. Lets not get into petty chest beating, .. my cruiseline is better than yours.

Im still hoping I like the changes .. but less excited than some here, just not into DJ type of music, but some of the other stuff sounds good.

I actually liked all of the editions of Funship 2.0. But bottom line is I still cruise a particular line based on the itinerary it sails and what I want to see. So in that regard I will happen to take whatever line of the "economic 4" (NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Princess) that happens to have the best itinerary for me at the cheapest price.

The difference for me though is if Carnival and another line have the same itinerary for close to the same price...That EA Sports bar and the Red Frog Rum Bar would probably make enough of a difference to me to choose Carnival over the other line. Gives me many more choices for what to do on sea days :)

That EA Sports bar :)

Is it going to have EA games?? If so, Im thinking they would not be free. I heard something about 16 split screens .. so is that it, or are they adding gaming video machines?? I havent read enough about this I know what to expect.

Archived