Transfers To and From Pier by RCCL

Does anyone have any experience with the transfers you can purchase through Royal Caribbean to get you from airport to pier? We purchased these transfers for our upcoming Jewel cruise out of Boston, and we're just wondering how it's going to work. Our flight is scheduled to land in Boston at 11:48 AM.

I do see here in our cruise docs that a cruise line rep will meet our flight inside the baggage claim area. It then gives a number to call if we are unable to locate said rep. It then goes on to say transfer from Boston airport to pier are every 30-40 minutes from 11 AM - 2 PM.

So that's plenty of info for us to get it figured out, I'm sure. But I'm just curious as to how smoothly it actually operates?

Iv done them twice back to the airport from the ship.

I just missed the first bus and the 2nd bus I was on waited a full hour, 60 minutes, to see if it would fill up. When it never filled up, the bus driver said ok the hour is up we can leave now.

It was a savings for me, since it was just me is why I have done it in the past. 2nd time.

Luckily I was not in a hurry. I was surprised you said it would be leaving for the airport every 30 or 40 minutes.

It runs smoothly, and I would recommend it, especially since it sounds like you are cutting it pretty close with the 11:48 arrival time. Definitely print out whatever confirmation you got for the purchase of the transfers - once or twice we have discovered that our name was not on "the list", but since we could show our confirmation we were able to use the service.

We used the transfers several times. In the US for departure you get your luggage, and look for somebody with RCCL sign. You will give them your suitcases, and get them back in your cabin. You will travel comfortably in a Greyhound-size soft-seat bus.

Going home, you will go through customs if needed, walk out and will be directed to your bus. It will make several stops at the airport for everybody's airline.

If in another country, it waries. In Europe, everything is very organized. In Caribbean, may be less organized, like you travel in a van, and your luggage is in another car, but very safe.

I find cruise ship transfers convenient, not to worry if your reserved shuttle will show up.

Does anyone have any experience with the transfers you can purchase through Royal Caribbean to get you from airport to pier?

So that's plenty of info for us to get it figured out, I'm sure. But I'm just curious as to how smoothly it actually operates?

We used the RCL transfers a couple times when we first started cruising and then figured out that just getting a taxi and being able to control your own timing is much easier and hassle free. The cruise lines use the bus trip from the airport to the ship as a way to control crowds at the dock so the driver might be told to circle or slow down if they don't want too many more bus loads arriving at that time. Then leaving the ship for the airport just as others have said it can be very tense when they are trying to fill a bus making you wait to leave and you have a plane to catch. If you are simply grabbing a cab you can disembark early by taking off your own luggage and you are through customs and on your way.

I have never used the RCCL transfer buses but everytime I fly into the

Fort Lauderdale airport around 11-12noon I always see them. You cannot

miss them as they have big signs. All the cruise lines I see, Carnival,

Princess and RCCL. The other poster made a good point. Find out how

much the cab costs from the airport to the pier. If its the same or

maybe a bit more I would go for the cab. Privacy, waiting time etc.

The idea of having to wait an hour for the bus to fill up would annoy me.

for that reason alone I would check out the cab fare.

The last time I used RCCL transfers I had a terrible experience and will never use them again. This was in Miami in 2003, so things may have changed, but from the previous posters, it doesn't sound like it has. Because of having to wait for a bus to fill up, it took longer to get from the airport and on to the ship than it took to get from NYC to Miami. We had to wait about an hour at the airport after we got our luggage until they took us to the bus. Once we got to the port, it was so late, that the lines to check in were extremely long. We didn't board the ship until 3:30. This was after leaving NYC on a 7:30 am flight. If we had just taken a taxi we probably would have been on the ship shortly after they started the boarding process. I will never use RCCL transfers again.

Good info, folks! Thanks to all for chiming in. Sounds like it could go one way or the other. We'll just try to be patient, and just be happy to make it on the ship before it sails off! haha.

As this is our very first cruise, and we don't travel much, our TA suggested the transfers through Royal Caribbean. He did call a couple of local cab companies in Boston first, and decided the transfers weren't that much more expensive. I believe we paid $52 per person, and that is for both ways. So $26 per person, per trip.

He did say that he, being a very experienced traveler, would personally opt for "fending for himself" with finding a cab or some other transportation to the pier. But again, since this is our first time cruising and first time in Boston, this is what we opted for.

Funny, I was picturing a person standing there holding a big Royal Caribbean sign, but figured surely that's just for in movies. haha. Good to know! We'll just keep our fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly, and again--so long as we're on that ship by the big deadline, I'll be happy.

Same comment as most folks above, early cruising years would use the transfers, but after constant nudging from my TA use taxi going and coming. Don't like having to stand around and wait for the bus to fill up, make sure luggage is loaded, etc. Flying into Orlando and sailing from Port Canaveral I will say I have still use RCLs bus transfers.

Dave

The last time I used RC transfers we arrived at the airport at 11am and sat on the bus til 2pm when it finally left for the ship. I hope you have a better experience. Never again for me; grabbing a taxi is so much easier.

Oh, wow, now I'm really sorry I booked the RCCL transfers from MCO > Port Canaveral. If I get stuck sitting on a bus from 11 till 2 I'm going to be livid.

They did tell me that I couldn't get the bus any later than 12:30 PM, so I'm hoping that that means they'll leave by 12:30 at the very latest. I'd really wanted to get to the port before that.

Bummer. Now I don't know what to do.

Good info, folks! Thanks to all for chiming in. Sounds like it could go one way or the other. We'll just try to be patient, and just be happy to make it on the ship before it sails off! haha.

As this is our very first cruise, and we don't travel much, our TA suggested the transfers through Royal Caribbean. He did call a couple of local cab companies in Boston first, and decided the transfers weren't that much more expensive. I believe we paid $52 per person, and that is for both ways. So $26 per person, per trip.

He did say that he, being a very experienced traveler, would personally opt for "fending for himself" with finding a cab or some other transportation to the pier. But again, since this is our first time cruising and first time in Boston, this is what we opted for.

Funny, I was picturing a person standing there holding a big Royal Caribbean sign, but figured surely that's just for in movies. haha. Good to know! We'll just keep our fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly, and again--so long as we're on that ship by the big deadline, I'll be happy.

What airport are you flying from? I know your location says central PA, just wondering if you found a direct flight on a "big" plane from somewhere in central PA or are you on a commuter plane? My son goes to school in central PA and is graduating next year. We have no problems driving the 6 hours from just outside of Boston as we do it for all his rugby games anyways but I have to get my Mom down there too for the graduation. Not sure either of us would survive her in a car for 6 hours:eek:;):p

Oh, wow, now I'm really sorry I booked the RCCL transfers from MCO > Port Canaveral. If I get stuck sitting on a bus from 11 till 2 I'm going to be livid.

They did tell me that I couldn't get the bus any later than 12:30 PM, so I'm hoping that that means they'll leave by 12:30 at the very latest. I'd really wanted to get to the port before that.

Bummer. Now I don't know what to do.

Well, I'm not saying that long wait happens to everybody, but it happened to me.

Have you looked into a shuttle service instead of the ship transfer?

Does anyone have any experience with the transfers you can purchase through Royal Caribbean to get you from airport to pier? We purchased these transfers for our upcoming Jewel cruise out of Boston, and we're just wondering how it's going to work. Our flight is scheduled to land in Boston at 11:48 AM.

I do see here in our cruise docs that a cruise line rep will meet our flight inside the baggage claim area. It then gives a number to call if we are unable to locate said rep. It then goes on to say transfer from Boston airport to pier are every 30-40 minutes from 11 AM - 2 PM.

For us it has always worked great. Some times it takes a while for the rep. to get there, but they always get you where you should be efficiently and easily. Its well worth it. Enjoy your cruise.

Jan

Well, I'm not saying that long wait happens to everybody, but it happened to me.

I've had similiar experiences myself unfortunately. The worst was LAX where we landed and waited 30-45 minutes for the rep to show up, who then made us walk (with us dragging our luggage) to another terminal where we then got to sit for 2 hours waiting for the bus. There are a few ports where I might opt for cruiseline transfers, but they are the exceptions (and all of them are outside the US).

Our experience flying into Puerto Rico..we hailed a cab, and watched the transfer folks boarding the bus..dont know how far behind us they were, but it was quick and easy to catch a cab and start our vacation!!!;)

however, we usually book a shore excursion with airport drop off at the end of our cruise...

thats just what has worked for us.

Im still debating on what to do. Do those buses you mentioned have a bathroom? Does anyone know how long a ride it is from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral? :rolleyes:

about 45 minutes but may take longer on a bus, maybe an hour.

What airport are you flying from? I know your location says central PA, just wondering if you found a direct flight on a "big" plane from somewhere in central PA or are you on a commuter plane? My son goes to school in central PA and is graduating next year. We have no problems driving the 6 hours from just outside of Boston as we do it for all his rugby games anyways but I have to get my Mom down there too for the graduation. Not sure either of us would survive her in a car for 6 hours:eek:;):p

We'll be driving from Lock Haven to Philly (about 3 hours), then flying from Philly to Boston. 3 hours is about as far as either of us are willing to drive. haha. It was about 3x as expensive to fly out of State College or we totally would have done that. I'm tired of driving, I think it's stressful! haha. I'm definitely splurging for the flights out of State College next time! :D

We normally avoid the ship's transfers as well. But we fly out of Miami after a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale on our next cruise so we're going to try it. It's $60 vs $80 or so for a cab. If it is awful we won't be doing it again. :)

Of course you can rent a car and drive yourself for less than that.

The car rental places at both FLL & MIA have complementary shuttles to the pier.

Have you looked into a shuttle service instead of the ship transfer?

There are several great shuttle services that run between MCO and Port Canaveral with vans pulling trailers for the luggage. The advantage here is not waiting the a whole bus to fill up and upon arrival you are not part of a slow moving herd.

We'll be driving from Lock Haven to Philly (about 3 hours), then flying from Philly to Boston. 3 hours is about as far as either of us are willing to drive. haha. It was about 3x as expensive to fly out of State College or we totally would have done that. I'm tired of driving, I think it's stressful! haha. I'm definitely splurging for the flights out of State College next time! :D

I thought that was where you were from, I remember your Little League world series posts. Last time I was in Lock Haven, we were standing in a monsoon watching a rugby game.:eek::p

I did look at State College, Harrisburg and Williamsport and can't get her a direct flight on a "big" plane so she is either going to have to drive with us or get on a commuter plane. I am going to look into Scranton again too since we drive by that, Philly would be a few hours out of the way. I just didn't know if I had missed an airport to check out. Most of the guys he knows that fly in, come into Harrisburg since that is only an hour up rte 15 to get to the university.

Sorry to highjack your thread. Hopefully, you get the same gorgeous weather we are supposed to have this weekend for your cruise. Supposed to be 80 by the weekend though it was in the 40's this am. Leaves are just starting around here but the news say they are near peak in Maine and NH.

Archived