Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

irocks. Thank you so much for your updates on your trip. We leave on October 12th, spending a few days in Beijing before our tour on the 17th. We are going Uniworld but I imagine they are all pretty much the same. I do have a question for you. We are also going to Tibet and I am a little concerned about the altitude did you take the diamox (spelling) and how did you feel? I am debating on getting it or not. Some say lots of water and ibuprofen and a coke works as well. Also what was the average age of your tour and was there anything that some guest were not able to do because of their ability to get around? One last question what was the weather like.

Thank you again for your comments just reading about your adventure has started to make it real for me.

My wife and I just returned from Viking's Roof of the World tour. Two people in our group of 30 (my wife included) got altitude sickness and had to be treated by the hotel doctor. He came to our room. After a $260.00 credit card run (he came with his own credit card reader), IV Glucose drip with two medications plus Oxygen. My wife took the alternate med. to diamox, which clearly didn't work. After 4 hours of O2 and the meds. she was up and around. Extra water, fluids, etc. upon arrival did not prevent her altitude sickness. A diamox side effect experienced by a number of us took the form of internal tremors. I thought the buildings, sidewalks etc. were shaking and it was me. Not a problem, just weird. Despite the above, we would not have missed Tibet.

Day 14, 10/5/2014, Sunday. Today we departed from the ship at 9 AM and visited Wuhans Hubei Provincial Museum. The line to get in was very long but being with Viking we walked right in. The only area of the museum we visited was the Marquis Yi of Zeng section. The museum looks huge. We went to the 20 minute bell performance which was lovely. Viking had the whole theater reserved for just Viking passengers. I did not realize that National holiday is celebrated from Oct 1-7, I thought it would be celebrated from a Saturday to Saturday but it is by dates no matter which days of the week they fall on. We left the museum to head to the airport for our 1:45 flight to Shanghai on China Eastern. The flight had about a 30 minutes delay. We went right from Shanghai airport to Fairmont Peace Hotel, arriving to hotel at 6PM. The hotel is lovely, I feel like I am in The Great Gatsby movie. We had a delicious supper at the hotel then our guide took us on a walk to The Bund. At the hotel there is an outside observation area on floor 11 above the restaurant. This is a great area to view over the Bund.

Day 15, 10/6/2014, Monday. We got up early and went for a walk on The Bund again. Many people outside doing various forms of exercise. We met our group in the lobby at 8AM to go to Yu Garden where we spent about 1 hour. We got out of there before it got crowded. Next was 45 minutes to shop at market by Yu Gardens. Those interested could go to a silk shop that Viking felt was good quality and good price. Then on to a silk carpet store for a demonstration. All the prices at the market and the silk carpet store seemed very high to me. I have purchased silk carpets at other places for much cheaper price. Here we also had lunch at the Mangolian BBQ. Off to the Shanghai Museum, by this time I am museumed out. However, I did find some nice childrens books in their store. Back to hotel by 3. We will leave at 5:30 for supper then go directly to the Shanghai acrobat show held at Ritz Carlton Hotel from 7:30-9PM. Tomorrow half of our group will fly home and the rest of us will leave hotel for airport at 8AM for our 10:55AM flight to Guilin for the Guilin Hong Kong extension.

irocks,

Like everyone else I have hung on every word of your very thorough reports. We are looking forward to your extension reviews especially, as we are doing that in March and have not seen as many writings regarding those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oct. 7, 2014, Tuesday. Today is considered Day 16 for Roof of the World Trip and Day 1 on the Hong Kong Guilin Extension. Of our original group of 28, 16 are taking this extension. We have been joined with other Viking groups so we now have 2 groups of about 40 each. Both groups have their own guide. Today we had to say goodbye to Richard who was a fantastic guide and joined our new guide Arnold. Arnold will have big shoes to fill. This morning our checked bag had to be out at 6:30 and we met at 8Am to go to airport for our 10:55AM flight to Guilin. Flight was on China Eastern. We arriving in Guilin at 1:20 and were to our hotel by 3PM. We are at the Shangri-La, another excellent hotel. Those who wanted to get a foot message met in the lobby at 3:45 to take bus into town for their message. Those who went enjoyed their experience. Three of us decided to go to the Reed Flute Cave instead. The concierge at the hotel helped us with tickets and told the taxi driver where to take us. The cave was huge and full of stalagmites lite with various colored lights. It was ok but since I have seen similar caves in US I now wish I would have gone to Elephant Trunk Hill instead. We were back to hotel by 6PM and had dinner in the hotel. Food was good with lots of choices. There is only 1 US style outlet in our hotel room and several Australia type outlets.

irocks,

So glad you are enjoying your trip and sharing with us. We were going to do the extension as well but in the end we decided to go to Hong Kong on our own so we could spend a little more time there. We want to get to Hong Kong Disney and also see Macau. Sunflower Lee set us up with a tour guide in Hong Kong. I was sorry to miss Guilin. So how is the weather? Are you in pants and short sleeves or do you need more? Can't wait to hear about your time in Hong Kong. Safe travels.

Pat

Bags outside our door by 7AM and left hotel at 8:30AM for Li River Cruise. This was a wonderful cruise. Landscape much different from Yangtze River. The cruise was from 9:30-1:30 but the length of time can vary depending on depth of water, which determines how fast the boat can go. We were told that the food on the boat was lousy so be packed some baggies with our left over breakfast food and were glad we did. At the end of our boat ride there was 1 hour to shop at the market. All the tourist markets in China seem to sell the same thing. We had a 2 hour bus ride back to Guilin Airport. Our Hong Kong Airlines flight left at 6:30PM and we were to the Kowloon Shangri-La by 9:30PM. Yesterdays newspaper said there is a dengue fever epidemic in the Guangdong Province. They were warning us at the Guilin Hotel about the mosquitos. We lathered up with bug repellent for the Li River Cruise but saw no mosquitos.

Magnum Travel: The weather has been very comfortable. We have had 1 day of rain on this whole trip. I have been wearing long pants, long and short sleeved shirts. Some have been wearing shorts. Weather wise I think October is a great time to do this tour. However, it is best to be on the Yangtze portion of the trip during National Week. I would not want to be in Beijing that week.

Another question for you. Someone told be that you have to have TSA approved locks on your luggage for internal flights in China or they may charge you extra. Did you have this problem? Have fun in Hong Kong.

My understanding of Chinese regulations is that the bags you check-in must be locked as a precaution against theft, failure to lock a bag can theoretically result in them fitting a lock and charging you for the service.

The type of lock is not specified and TSA approved locks have no special use outside the USA.

Personally I use TSA locks everywhere I travel as that frequently includes the USA and it saves using different locks.

Today we left the hotel at 9 AM for a 1/2 day Viking tour of Hong Kong. Our first stop was at Victoria Peak which overlooks Hong Kongs skyline. There is a bit of a haze over the city but it is still a good view. Second stop was to Aberdeen where we boarded Sanpans for a boat ride around the harbor. Then on to Aberdeen Jewelry Store and then to Stanley Market for a 1 hour stop. I would have rather skipped the Jewelry Store and spent more at Stanley Market. We were back to the hotel by 3:15PM. Hong Kong has been having protests for the last couple of weeks which has caused problems with traffic. But this did not seem to slow our tour down. Prior to leaving home I had purchased tkts to The House of Dancing Water Show in Macau and I also purchased the ferry tkts to get us to Macau. Not knowing for sure how long our 1/2 day tour would last, I purchased tkts to Macau for 5PM and return tkts for 11:30PM. We left the hotel at 3:45 and took a taxi to the China Ferry Terminal Kowloon. We were able to go on the 4:30 PM ferry by getting in the standby line. Following the signs got us thru the terminal pretty easily. Boat ride was a bit rocky and lasted about 60 minutes. Once thru passport check in Macau we got on the City Of Dreams free shuttle bus and were there by 6:15. We had a supper at Hard Rock Cafe then went to the 8PM Dancing Water Show which was fabulous. The last ferry back to Kowloon leaves Macau at 10:30 so I had booked our tkts back to Hong Kongs main ferry terminal. Hong Kongs main ferry terminal has more frequent ferries and I think they run 24 hours a day from here. Again we got in the standby line and ended up on the 10:15 ferry back to Hong Kong. There is no extra charge to go on standby. Taxi from H.K. ferry terminal to Shangri-La Kowloon and we were back in our room by midnight.

I have used a non TSA lock on my luggage on our internal China Flights without any problems. Hong Kong is easy to get around on your own. Our Viking representative is available if we have any questions about sight seeing but otherwise we are on our own for the remainder of our trip.

This is my final report on our time with Viking in China. Thank you for all of your kind remarks. I received so much information from this forum that I felt I needed to pay back. Today was our final full day. Tomorrow we leave the hotel at 5:30 AM for the airport to come back home. It has been a great trip. Today was a free day and we choose to take the subway to Disneyland Hong Kong. It was easy to find our way there. We spent about 7 hours riding rides and going to the shows. We were going to stay for the 7:30 Disney Paint the Night Parade but we figured most of the people would be trying to leave the park after the parade and we did not want to fight the crowd. Now we are trying to figure out how to get all the souvenirs in our luggage. Viking was great, hotels were wonderful, breakfast at the hotels were good but lunch and supper were just OK. Some things I would recommend: 1) If you decide to arrive a few days early to Beijing spend extra time seeing The Summer Palace, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven. Lama Temple was OK but you will see lots of Buddas on your tours with Viking. Also, eat at Black Sesame Kitchen and Made in China.2) If you want something of silk made to fit you do it on the ship. You are not any where else long enough to have this done. 3) Weather wise this was a great time to come to China but don,t be in any of the big cities Oct. 1-7 for their National Week. 4) Bring an extra camera battery, hat and sunglasses. I had also brought many $1.00 bills but did not use them. I tipped in local money.

This is my final report on our time with Viking in China. Thank you for all of your kind remarks. I received so much information from this forum that I felt I needed to pay back. Today was our final full day. Tomorrow we leave the hotel at 5:30 AM for the airport to come back home. It has been a great trip. Today was a free day and we choose to take the subway to Disneyland Hong Kong. It was easy to find our way there. We spent about 7 hours riding rides and going to the shows. We were going to stay for the 7:30 Disney Paint the Night Parade but we figured most of the people would be trying to leave the park after the parade and we did not want to fight the crowd. Now we are trying to figure out how to get all the souvenirs in our luggage. Viking was great, hotels were wonderful, breakfast at the hotels were good but lunch and supper were just OK. Some things I would recommend: 1) If you decide to arrive a few days early to Beijing spend extra time seeing The Summer Palace, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven. Lama Temple was OK but you will see lots of Buddas on your tours with Viking. Also, eat at Black Sesame Kitchen and Made in China.2) If you want something of silk made to fit you do it on the ship. You are not any where else long enough to have this done. 3) Weather wise this was a great time to come to China but don,t be in any of the big cities Oct. 1-7 for their National Week. 4) Bring an extra camera battery, hat and sunglasses. I had also brought many $1.00 bills but did not use them. I tipped in local money.

Thanks so much for your insights. We leave early November and are better prepared with your info.

We fly out to begin our trip on Tuesday, I'm not going to try and match the word count while we are there, but I'll see if I can add a photo or two here and there along the way.

Internet willing of course :)

Wishing you a Bon Voyage and looking forward to your running commentary.

Now that I am home, I checked for milage credit on Delta for the flights I took on China Eastern. For the 2 flights where I was able to find a service center once thru security, the miles had been credited to my account. These were for flights leaving from Beijing and Shanghai. For flights leaving Xian and Wuhan I tried to put in my 13 digit etkt number into Delta's Request Milage webpage but it would not accept the numbers. I called Delta and was told I would need to send them copies of both the boarding passes and the ticket receipts. Since we do not have ticket receipts I guess I am out of luck. If you want milage for these flights I would suggest going to the ticket counter prior to going thru security.

I will try to get pictures of the electric outlets posted in the next couple of days.

Happy Travels!

Wishing you a Bon Voyage and looking forward to your running commentary.

Not sure about 'running' but I'll see if we can manage a fast walk :)

Bags are all packed now. Just finishing off a few bits of work then off to bed.

Heading for LHR around lunch time tomorrow, allowing plenty of time to enjoy the Concorde Room lounge before our flight (using miles for holiday flights does have its advantages:) ).

Any advice on whether to buy the drink package on the ship?

Description:

Your meals are always accompanied by hot tea, ìced tea or coffee, house wines, beers and soft drinks. We also proudly offer a Silver Spirits beverage package, which covers unlimited premium wines, beers, espresso drinks, juices and mineral water for the entire duration of your cruise, plus cocktails and a bottle of sparkling wine. Start your day with a fragrant cappuccino, savor a fine regional wine with dinner, or celebrate with sparkling wine all for one package price. Ask about Silver Spirits when making your reservation, see the Program Director during your journey, or print the order form, complete and fax or mail.

Offhand, I think most people will not be consuming enough alcoholic beverages to make it worthwhile, especially since all people in the stateroom must purchase the package.

Is it even offered on the China cruises?

The drinks package is offered on the China cruise and you can even sign up for it thru your waiter at the first meal. The couple seated next to us at the meal managed to sign up only one of them, claiming the wife didn't drink. But once the husband saw that the rest of us were getting unlimited beer and wine refills, he told the waiter that he changed his mind about getting the package. We met several people who did get the package and, frankly, they were the people who spent A LOT of time at the bar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The drinks package is offered on the China cruise and you can even sign up for it thru your waiter at the first meal. We met several people who did get the package and, frankly, they were the people who spent A LOT of time at the bar.

Do you know what the cost was?