Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We used genvisa and requested the new 10 year visa, with our application. It was granted. Envisa told us if you ask for the 10 year visa in writing you will get it. If not, you may get the one tim entry visa.

Now, a question, for the intra china flights are they enforcing the 11 pound carry on limit?

Re tipping, do the land tour guides get paid thru viking so their tip is addled to your bill or just usd ?

We're thinking about which restaurant to go to for Peking Duck. I am very clear about Taste of China, and curious about Da Dong. Are there two Da Dong restaurants? From a Google search, I find one at 22 Dongsi 10th Alley; from TripAdvisor I find Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant WangFuJing. Which is the right one??

Thanks!

Just as another option, Viking put us in the Kerry Hotel in Beijing and since we had reservations at BSK on the evening the rest of the group were due to go for duck we made our own reservations at the hotel's 'Horizon' restaurant. It is part of the hotel complex and is located in the mall attached to the hotel.

No traveling to do and a fantastic duck at a reasonable price.

Now, a question, for the intra china flights are they enforcing the 11 pound carry on limit?

No, our carry-ons were never weighed.

Re tipping, do the land tour guides get paid thru viking so their tip is addled to your bill or just usd

Your main tour guide who travels with you from start to finish is not paid by Viking and you need to give them their tip in cash at the end.

The tips for the ship staff and your optional excursions can all go onto the ship bill and be paid using cash or credit card.

Tips for the various city guides and bus drivers should all be in cash and given at the end of each city segment as you will have the same driver and city guide until you change cities.

Mark_T, we are also at the Kerry. Good and logistically simple sounds like a winner - I'm ready to stop thinking about ducks! Thanks for your suggestion.

Like all the duck restaurants you will need to book your duck in advance as it takes time to prepare, but we had no problems booking around lunch time for the same evening.

We're thinking about which restaurant to go to for Peking Duck. I am very clear about Taste of China, and curious about Da Dong. Are there two Da Dong restaurants? From a Google search, I find one at 22 Dongsi 10th Alley; from TripAdvisor I find Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant WangFuJing. Which is the right one??

Thanks!

We ate at the Da Dong restaurant on WangfuJing. It was absolutely delicious and much better than the one that Uniworld took us on. I would highly recommend it. We also made our reservations that afternoon and had no problem getting in. Enjoy.

To all of you who have been so helpful about some mobility assistance on the land portions, thank you very much. I tried to give Viking a heads up today but as Chloe's Mom suggested in a much more tactful way, I wasted my breath, and will just tell our tour guide.

I will try to notice these issues as we travel and report back.

One of us still needs to have pictures for the visa applications and them we will see how long that takes.

I posted a visa question a month or so ago, so I am here to report back. We used USchinavisa.com, and were very satisfied. The entire process from send out to get back was two weeks, and that included the New Year holiday break. The cost was $370 for the two of us, so a bit less expensive than GenVisa. When I filled out the request for services, we asked for a one-year visa as this will be our second trip, and I doubt we go a third time, but we received what must now be the standard 10-year visa.

I was extremely satisfied with this company's service, and recommend them without hesitation. I know that in the scheme of things $20 is not much, but I can't see paying extra for the same service.

Dh and I are booked for October 14th this year.... (just booked - and apparently got the last cabin on this sailing!!) - so am finding this thread a wealth of information.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to post.

Fran

Edited by franski

Dh and I are booked for October 14th this year.... (just booked - and apparently got the last cabin on this sailing!!) - so am finding this thread a wealth of information.

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to post.

Fran

Hey, Fran. Welcome!

Can't remember if there is a roll call for that date (and not home to check) but if you start one, please post a link here so I can add it to the list. TIA

We had great weather around that time last year, you are going to have a wonderful experience I'm sure.

Hey, Fran. Welcome!

Can't remember if there is a roll call for that date (and not home to check) but if you start one, please post a link here so I can add it to the list. TIA

Hi -

Just started a generic Viking China roll-call for 2015. Perhaps it might be best to wait to see if there is any action before we post a link.

Fran

We had great weather around that time last year, you are going to have a wonderful experience I'm sure.

Good to know!!

The Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors are 2 of my bucket list items. Excited about seeing both.

Fran

Good to know!!

The Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors are 2 of my bucket list items. Excited about seeing both.

Fran

It is a great time of year to visit the wall as you'll get a lot of autumn color in the trees around there and the temperature is more suited to the level of exertion :)

Hi Fran,

Thanks for starting a one-size-fits all! We need ONE thread for Viking China! I'm going with friends 6/14/15 on Imperial Jewels of China. I've read Viking China (Part 2), and the one with an Aug. date...too spread out. All Viking China cruisers, please support this new thread :)

Nancy (Cruzersky2)

Hi Fran,

Thanks for starting a one-size-fits all! We need ONE thread for Viking China! I'm going with friends 6/14/15 on Imperial Jewels of China. I've read Viking China (Part 2), and the one with an Aug. date...too spread out. All Viking China cruisers, please support this new thread :)

Nancy (Cruzersky2)

Hi Nancy - Thanks for the support!!

It is always a bit disheartening to post for a specific date, and never find anyone to "chat" with. I have found generic roll calls a great way to share info.

I started a generic thread for Russia, and joined in a generic thread for the south of France. My generic for the Elbe is pretty quiet - but it is not well travelled.

Quite excited about this trip... as mentioned in a post above - the Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors are on my bucket list.

Fran

Hi -

Just started a generic Viking China roll-call for 2015. Perhaps it might be best to wait to see if there is any action before we post a link.

Fran

Fran, sorry my response is a bit delayed. Been traveling.:D

Don't wait to see if you get any action but rather use this thread to drum up business for the generic thread.

Same goes for anyone starting a date specific roll call. Please post the date here. I've been keeping and posting a list of roll calls and any help in keeping it up to date is appreciated.

My other suggestion is to add a link to the roll call to your signature file so that the information will be seen any time you post. IMHO, we need to help readers find their way to the roll calls and that means not leaving them to try to figure out themselves but rather giving them a link directly to wherever it is we want them to go.

Editting a sig file is not difficult and I'm happy to give step by step instructions to anyone who doesn't feel comfortable trying to do it on their own. Just e-mail me (and put something like "CC Sig Help" in the subject line).

I think you should also be aware that this is early in the season. Most of us who are going this spring have asked our questions and are making preparations to leave. Several of us have said we will try to report back because those who have gone before have been so helpful. In another couple of months things will pick up so don't despair.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Hi all

for those of you who have gone before:

On the 2 intra china flights are you allowed to carry- on

1. a small roll aboard(less than 21 inches/ plus a backpack?

2. can a woman passenger take a travel bag pack plus a roll aboard?

your responses would be appreciated

thanks

Hi all

for those of you who have gone before:

On the 2 intra china flights are you allowed to carry- on

1. a small roll aboard(less than 21 inches/ plus a backpack?

2. can a woman passenger take a travel bag pack plus a roll aboard?

your responses would be appreciated

thanks

First, we had more than just two intra-China flights:

Beijing to Xi'an...Xi'an to Chongquing...Wuhan to Shanghai--that's three for everyone (we also had Shanghai to Guilin and Guilin to Hong Kong since we opted for the extension).

We didn't see much in the way of anyone being stopped for any carry-on sized extras they were carrying...

But, I would caution against carrying on too much stuff...

Your one permitted checked suitcase is transported by Viking...but you will carry all of your extra stuff...And, for example, when you board the ship, you will walk down a large stairway, then across a very shaky and wet sort of makeshift bridge of floating steel pieces--not easy...and even more difficult the more stuff you carry...

Because of all that, we carefully limited our packing--We purchased two 30" "Hybrid" rolling duffels for most of our stuff--very lightweight--about 8 pounds each, but easily carrying another 36 pounds of clothing and other items--so, actually fitting more than our old 28" rolling suitcases-even at 50 pounds...

And, past that, we limited what else we brought to necessary carry-on items--like medications, cameras wallets, passports--which we carried in just a small knapsack or bag each...

Since there are no formal nights and dress, even on the ship, is fairly casual, it was much easier to pack light than on a typical cruise...

IMHO, If you need a 44 pound checked suitcase, a 22" carry-on AND a backpack, you are packing WAY TOO MUCH...

First, we had more than just two intra-China flights:

Beijing to Xi'an...Xi'an to Chongquing...Wuhan to Shanghai--that's three for everyone (we also had Shanghai to Guilin and Guilin to Hong Kong since we opted for the extension).

We didn't see much in the way of anyone being stopped for any carry-on sized extras they were carrying...

[snip]

IMHO, If you need a 44 pound checked suitcase, a 22" carry-on AND a backpack, you are packing WAY TOO MUCH...

Except for China's Cultural Delights, which cruises much further down the river and thus buses between Shanghai and the embarkation point in Nanjing. So, only two flights for Cultural Delights.

Although we carried everything (one roll-on and one personal each) on the plane with us when we left Chicago, once we reached China, we let Viking handle our roll-on bags when moving from point to point. Still, by the time we reached our first intra flight in Chongqing, our 'one personal each' had become two personal each. We bought a heck of a lot more than we had ever planned on. We had to buy an additional suitcase to get home and give up our plan of "carry-on luggage only." Of course, we paid for our folly when we were stuck in Boston/Logan Airport for 45 minutes waiting for our checked luggage to be delivered. We could have been home already by the time our luggage was delivered.

SO, ditto to what Steve just said. Don't over pack. AND, if you are a shopper, under-pack even more.

We bought a heck of a lot more than we had ever planned on. We had to buy an additional suitcase to get home and give up our plan of "carry-on luggage only."

SO, ditto to what Steve just said. Don't over pack. AND, if you are a shopper, under-pack even more.

I am curious... what did you buy? Was saying to my DH that I didn't think we would be buying much, but if this is a naive thought - perhaps I had better rethink my packing space.

Fran

I am curious... what did you buy? Was saying to my DH that I didn't think we would be buying much, but if this is a naive thought - perhaps I had better rethink my packing space.

Fran

We didn't think we'd buy much either...but...

Well....here's what we ended up buying:

A set of terra cotta warrior figurines...

Two bronze figures--a dragon and some other mythical creature...

A set of Wolf hair paintbrushes...

A chopstick set...

A n engraved "seal"...

Two silk kimonos...

A silk scarf...

Two lacquered ducks...

Four small ceramic pieces...

Might have been some other stuff I don't remember...

But, the point is that we probably could have bought more...

Some was for gifts for family...Other stuff was just for souvenirs for us...so cheap we just had to buy it...Bargaining was fun...and it was hard to pass up...

The bronze dragon alone weighed about two pounds.

One good thing is that, though the weight limit on the suitcase for the intra-China flights was 44 pounds, for the flight home it was back to 50--thus allowing us to pack another six pounds each in the suitcase to fly home...

Fran

We/I went crazy. We came home with:

• three silk robes and one silk shirt
  • two works of art --one charcoal sketch and one scroll
  • a dragon
  • a pair of lions
  • porcelain chopsticks
  • a doll for the collection
  • a tea set (remember that Cultural Delights goes to the Porcelain History Center)
  • silk jewelry rolls
  • a book from the dam
  • a silk jacket (not the custom made from the ship)
  • I can't remember if we bought paintbrushes for "my daughter the artist"
  • 5 silk hand bags from a vendor -- now my summer go-to bag
  • and the straw that broke the camel's back -- I insisted on buying two of those red silk globes that we saw everywhere. (They hung at my front door until the realtor insisted that they be taken down.) Loved the color but they were too hard to pack. Wish I had been sensible. :eek:

We did not buy any terracotta warriors; we found them in the National Geographic catalog for $35 plus shipping--which was cheaper than they were charging in the gift shop Xi'an. Bought them before we left but DH wasn't allowed to take them out of the box until we got home. Didn't want to 'tempt fate.'

Finally, it all had to be carried onto the plane with us because after friends had souvenirs stolen from their checked luggage, I will never trust the airlines with anything valuable again. The only thing I'm willing to check is my dirty laundry!!!!