Helicopter Tour from Seward

TracyL

Since my husband will be fishing and I will be taking tours from Seward by myself, I've about decided to do a helicopter tour. However, almost everything I've found has a minimum of two people. Does anyone know of a company that will allow one person to book?

I found one tour that combines a dog sled on a glacier which sounds fun, however, the flight seeing portion is only 15 minutes which seems pretty short to me. That trip is also twice what the going rate is for the other trips.

Since my husband will be fishing and I will be taking tours from Seward by myself, I've about decided to do a helicopter tour. However, almost everything I've found has a minimum of two people. Does anyone know of a company that will allow one person to book?

I found one tour that combines a dog sled on a glacier which sounds fun, however, the flight seeing portion is only 15 minutes which seems pretty short to me. That trip is also twice what the going rate is for the other trips.

From one non fishing wife to another, may I offer these suggestions: 1. Take the Northwestern Fjords boat tour. 2. Do you have a car???? I can suggest a lot of things to do 3. You can take one of the bear viewing tours out of Kenai or Homer.

Why is your husband spending 3 days fishing in Seward??? My DH spends A LOT of time in Alaska fishing (way too much by my calculations and check book). BUT he loves it. He wouldn't fish out of Seward more than one day (he says it is not that good for fishing. You may want to expand your horizons and go to Cooper Landing for a day (lots of places to stay but our favorite is the Heavenly Lodge. NOT cheap but a good experience. http://www.alaskaheavenly.com/ There is also the very good Princess Kenai and sometimes the price is very, very cheap there, particularly during the week when they are not booked heavily with cruise tour people. I wouldn't be there without a car or on a cruise tour but otherwise, a great lodge.

Soldotna offers SUPERIOR fishing for salmon (all depends on when you are going what kind of salmon is in season). DH's favorite guide and my favorite place to stay is Pete's fishing (and I think we have tried about 8 of them). Right on the banks of the Kenai. Great guide (per DH) and I like the cabins. Right on the river and clean and everything provided so you can cook yourself. Lots of decent restaurants, a couple of bars that offer good entertainment and the moose are THICK early mornings and evenings. http://www.petesfishing.com/

AND IMHO the BEST place to go fishing-both salmon and halibut. HOMER, Alaska. Now let me say, I am a little prejudiced because we co-own a condo in Homer and have spent quite a bit of time there in the last 10 years. BUT there is great lodging at reasonable prices, the halibut fishing is GREAT from Katchemak Bay (we fill our freezer with about 200 pounds EVERY year), fishing for salmon in the Homer Spit is FREE (fishing license required), there is bank fishing at numerous places right out side of Homer and there is a great bank fishing guide who has reasonable prices that DH uses at least one day every year to "get the lay of the land". And there is so much for you to do if you don't fish. You could fill days with all the things to do in Homer.

There is an overnight fishing trip that we go on every year to fill our freezer. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm I HATE to fish. But I sure like this trip. Grab a couple of halibut right after the boat is anchored (I am not picky unless they are REALLY little-under 20 pounds). Then grab my book, curl up in the bunk or the galley. Get a little sleep. Then early in the morning, grab another couple of halibut. DH can stay up all night with everyone else swapping fish stories and seeing who can catch the biggest fish. I am snug, warm and have contributed to the family food budget.

There are some simply great bear viewing trips out of Homer. I highly recommend Hallo Bay's day trips. That is what I do when DH is fishing and I don't have to work (which is why I spend quite a bit of time in Alaska). http://www.hallobay.com/

You may want to encourage your DH to fish elsewhere.

From one non fishing wife to another, may I offer these suggestions: 1. Take the Northwestern Fjords boat tour. 2. Do you have a car???? I can suggest a lot of things to do 3. You can take one of the bear viewing tours out of Kenai or Homer.

Why is your husband spending 3 days fishing in Seward??? My DH spends A LOT of time in Alaska fishing (way too much by my calculations and check book). BUT he loves it. He wouldn't fish out of Seward more than one day (he says it is not that good for fishing. You may want to expand your horizons and go to Cooper Landing for a day (lots of places to stay but our favorite is the Heavenly Lodge. NOT cheap but a good experience. http://www.alaskaheavenly.com/ There is also the very good Princess Kenai and sometimes the price is very, very cheap there, particularly during the week when they are not booked heavily with cruise tour people. I wouldn't be there without a car or on a cruise tour but otherwise, a great lodge.

Soldotna offers SUPERIOR fishing for salmon (all depends on when you are going what kind of salmon is in season). DH's favorite guide and my favorite place to stay is Pete's fishing (and I think we have tried about 8 of them). Right on the banks of the Kenai. Great guide (per DH) and I like the cabins. Right on the river and clean and everything provided so you can cook yourself. Lots of decent restaurants, a couple of bars that offer good entertainment and the moose are THICK early mornings and evenings. http://www.petesfishing.com/

AND IMHO the BEST place to go fishing-both salmon and halibut. HOMER, Alaska. Now let me say, I am a little prejudiced because we co-own a condo in Homer and have spent quite a bit of time there in the last 10 years. BUT there is great lodging at reasonable prices, the halibut fishing is GREAT from Katchemak Bay (we fill our freezer with about 200 pounds EVERY year), fishing for salmon in the Homer Spit is FREE (fishing license required), there is bank fishing at numerous places right out side of Homer and there is a great bank fishing guide who has reasonable prices that DH uses at least one day every year to "get the lay of the land". And there is so much for you to do if you don't fish. You could fill days with all the things to do in Homer.

There is an overnight fishing trip that we go on every year to fill our freezer. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm I HATE to fish. But I sure like this trip. Grab a couple of halibut right after the boat is anchored (I am not picky unless they are REALLY little-under 20 pounds). Then grab my book, curl up in the bunk or the galley. Get a little sleep. Then early in the morning, grab another couple of halibut. DH can stay up all night with everyone else swapping fish stories and seeing who can catch the biggest fish. I am snug, warm and have contributed to the family food budget.

There are some simply great bear viewing trips out of Homer. I highly recommend Hallo Bay's day trips. That is what I do when DH is fishing and I don't have to work (which is why I spend quite a bit of time in Alaska). http://www.hallobay.com/

You may want to encourage your DH to fish elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, however, we are taking a cruise out of Seward. We will fly to Anchorage, take the train to Denali and then a motor coach to Talkeetna and then Anchorage. We then plan to take the train down to Seward. I had previously looked at Homer, however, it just adds way too much driving time to our trip, between the plains, trains and motor coaches we've got more than enough traveling to do. My husband will be happy as long as he can be out on a boat with a fishing pole. Seward also seems to have enough for me to do for three days by myself.

For your original question, look at a helicopter trip, your embarkment day, there is very likely to be others interested in flying to fill the helicopter.

As for the tour, are your interested in dog sledding??? That is what that tour is about, not flightseeing. IF you want flightseeing, then you need a different tour.

For your original question, look at a helicopter trip, your embarkment day, there is very likely to be others interested in flying to fill the helicopter.

As for the tour, are your interested in dog sledding??? That is what that tour is about, not flightseeing. IF you want flightseeing, then you need a different tour.

Thanks, I am interested in dog sledding, however, not at the expense of missing out on extra flight seeing. If I can work it out to do the 45 minute helicopter trip that includes 30 minutes of flightseeing, I'll schedule the dog sledding on a different day.

Archived