Luggage Tage Bar Codes

geocruiser

It helps track where your luggage is. The tag itself has a code that tells the handlers which service elevator to use to deliver the bag. "A" is for aft, "F" is for forward. The process has been greatly streamlined. Last January, I arrived at the pier at 12:20, was in my cabin by 12:45, and my luggage was delivered 10 minutes later. That's probably close to a record. :)

It helps track where your luggage is. The tag itself has a code that tells the handlers which service elevator to use to deliver the bag. "A" is for aft, "F" is for forward. The process has been greatly streamlined. Last January, I arrived at the pier at 12:20, was in my cabin by 12:45, and my luggage was delivered 10 minutes later. That's probably close to a record. :)

Last cruise arrived at 12 , on the ship 12:20 got our bags 4:40. You never know...

Hi,

I printed out my luggage tags a week or two ago. I would like to know about the bar code on the tags What info ( if any) can be gotten from the bar code?

Probably where to locate your bag if it gets lost. Like the airlines, who use bar codes and found my bag in Paris, when I arrived into Copenhagen.

I just didn't know what extra info could be found using the bar code. The tage all ready has that I am a platinum member, my last name, sailing date and home port, cabin number and ship, cruise line and AP

That's probably what the bar code has as well - that way a machine can read it and speed things along.

The bar code on the luggage tag simply encodes your booking number/reference.

I wondered this myself last week and found out by using a bar code scanner app that perhaps all smartphones have these days.

Ahhh... I never thought to use my iPhone app to read the bar code. Good idea. :)

I just didn't know what extra info could be found using the bar code. The tage all ready has that I am a platinum member, my last name, sailing date and home port, cabin number and ship, cruise line and AP

Does not need to have additional info.

If they are actually scanned when brought onto the ship, the information can be used if you do not get the bag and they need to track if it did come on board.

In February of this year on the Ruby we had an issue with one piece of our checked luggage that had been delayed. When I questioned personnel at the Purser's Desk about tracking it via the bar code on the luggage tag, I was told they were not yet scanning luggage tags and did not know when they would.

BTW, I couldn't believe how many people had embarkation day luggage issues. There were a lot of passengers at the Purser's Desk with damaged or lost luggage issues.

Lew

We use the cruise luggage tag holders from Favors By Serendipity. Never have a problem or worry the tags will rip off now and they are reusable.

Agree. We've been using them for more than a year. I use two on each suitcase; top and side.

Archived