Tortola Charters haven't responded - Other options for Jost?

tbmrt

Grr I just wrote a review and it disappeared :(

We went to Tortola today - went to JVD via BVI360. We originally booked through Tortola Charters but switched when TC stopped responding. Cost was $60pp (4 or under is free) and included bus ride to marina, 15 min boat ride to a swim stop, and JVD. Time for the swimming stop can be negotiated - we only stayed an hour.

BVI360 has a dingy so you don't have to swim ashore but the swim isn't bad. Stuff will get wet even in the dingy so plan appropriately.

Oh and apparently BVI360 bought Tortola Charters...so TC is officially dead.

We just went to JVD with BVI360 on Thursday and it was a great trip! We were quoted $60 for a minimum of 5 people, but when I told Julio I got 10 (the max), he lowered the price to $50pp. They allowed us to customize our stop (we were only there from 7-3). They picked us up at the pier at 7:30 our time (8:30 local time) and had us back to the port at 1:45 our time.

Our backpacks weathered the dinghy ok...didn't get wet. I chose to swim ashore...figured it was easier to jump off the boat than climb in the dinghy...however, we later found out that the way to get back ON the boat was from the dinghy (no ladder):eek: I was stressed about this, as I am large and not very coordinated:o However, it worked out perfectly the way they have you do it...no problem!

And no, they didn't buy Tortola Charters. Julio said he thinks the owner moved back to the states and they basically are out of business. He said, though, that one of the guys who worked for TC (and was very good) may be trying to buy the business, so they may come back to life.

bowbiter: Thanks for the info on TC. How long did you actually stay on JVD?

I'd also like to know this.

Tx

Barbara

They told us they were taking us to a snorkel stop first, but none of us wanted to snorkel (the water was pretty rough that day), so they just brought us to White Bay. I think we were at JVD for a little over 3 hours. A number of boats pulled in during the morning, but it never got crowded. It was the perfect place, in my opinion! Our new favorite, in fact. Just a great little laid back, peaceful beach and bar with a gorgeous view. I didn't care for the Painkillers, but you have many drinks to choose from. We didn't eat but the food looked good.

The important thing to remember about the time is that they don't turn their clocks back in the fall like we do. So for the late fall, winter and early summer, they are one hour later than we are on the East Coast. In the summer, they are at the same time as Eastern.

I highly recommend BVI360....they did a great job and we had an awesome trip. Very professional and serious about getting you back to the ship in plenty of time. Julio was excellent, as was our skipper:)

We had a GREAT time with you guys! When the people on the NCL DAWN compared what we got booking with you guys vs. what they got with the ships' excursion, they were sick! We definitely will go with you guys again when in Tortola!

We had 10 people but were unable to negotiate down to $50. Oh well. Our group had a wonderful time!

We had a GREAT time with you guys! When the people on the NCL DAWN compared what we got booking with you guys vs. what they got with the ships' excursion, they were sick! We definitely will go with you guys again when in Tortola!

We had 10 people but were unable to negotiate down to $50. Oh well. Our group had a wonderful time!

We on the Carnival Freedom had a great day with BVI360 and Sam Henry. Glad I didn't wait for Tortola Charters.

Jan

I went to the site and didn't see a place to book. Did you have to prepay somehow? Also, I see a $70 cost (perhaps they just raised it)

I'm just a bit concerned because of the possibility of this company not having a Plan B in case their boat breaks down and we need to get back to the cruise ship. Did they happen to mention anything about this to you?

Thanks

Barbara & Tom

we just got off the dawn and went thru ncl to jvd. it was $89/pp but well worth the money. they are using a new charter company. the boat is a beautifal air conditined new speed boat. got us right to jvd in 20-25 minutes. it left right from the pier and we got tons of time to spend in the water with our painkillers. i would use them for great service, great boat and gaurentee you will get back to ship on time. you also got all the rum punch you could drink free on the trip back. they also stopped so we could see dolphins. we were on the beach almost 4 hours.

we just got off the dawn and went thru ncl to jvd. it was $89/pp but well worth the money. they are using a new charter company. the boat is a beautifal air conditined new speed boat. got us right to jvd in 20-25 minutes. it left right from the pier and we got tons of time to spend in the water with our painkillers. i would use them for great service, great boat and gaurentee you will get back to ship on time. you also got all the rum punch you could drink free on the trip back. they also stopped so we could see dolphins. we were on the beach almost 4 hours.

Do you remember the name of the charter company?

How far was the swim from boat to shore? How difficult to get on & off the boat from the water?

Thanks.

we just got off the dawn and went thru ncl to jvd. it was $89/pp but well worth the money. ...we were on the beach almost 4 hours.

Great news...thanks for this update.

We also booked the ship's excursion off the Gem in Feb...price was not an issue, our main concern was getting there and back in time.

The 10-day Gem itinerary only stays in Tortola from 7am - 1pm...so it;s really tight...no way we could do it on our own

thanks again

Do you remember the name of the charter company?

How far was the swim from boat to shore? How difficult to get on & off the boat from the water?

Thanks.

the rep who met us at the pier was from island tours but the boat had another company written on it but i don't remember. this trip was a huge step up from our trip last year with ncl when they used tortola charters. when we jumped in the water we didn't need to swim. we could wade in.

• 2 weeks later...
When were you there?

Thanks,

Kel

From looking at his previous posts, it looks like he is on Caribbean Princess and was probably in Tortola today. What a shame he didn't see all the posts about Tortola Charters before:( I'm glad we chose BVI360 and didn't take the chance that they were going to show...

One thing we haven't mentioned is that smaller operations are not staffed sufficiently to respond immediately. However no reply to multiple e-mails over a period of a month is not good and it's time to look elsewhere I'm afraid. Very frustrating, I'm sure.

Tortola is a very beautiful island and you may want to look at going to Long Bay (use a day pass) or better yet Smuggler's Cove for the day. Smuggler's is a much more beautiful beach than White Bay on Jost, White Bay is more of a beach bar destination while SMuggler's is all about the beach and snorkeling.

This link provides some brief comparisons between them -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524407

Archived