Dear Carnival Beards

stargate fan

Dear Carnival Beards,

Thank you for listening to Cruise Critic members' suggestions to enhance our Carnival cruising experiences. I would like to ask for one more improvement: please hire personnel whose sole job is to patrol the pool decks. The "chair hogging" has become unbearable. By having employees who do not have to commit to responsibilities other than to patrol the decks, situations amongst cruisers can be avoided and all passengers who wish can enjoy some time by the pools. On our last cruise on Carnival Splendor back in April, a group "hogged" over 30 deck chairs with a single shoe, a towel, a magazine, or sunscreen. These patrons did not use their saved chairs for over three hours. Imagine the number of guests who would have loved to sit in those unoccupied seats, my husband and me included.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Stargate Fan

Dear Carnival Beards,

Thank you for listening to Cruise Critic members' suggestions to enhance our Carnival cruising experiences. I would like to ask for one more improvement: please hire personnel whose sole job is to patrol the pool decks. The "chair hogging" has become unbearable. By having employees who do not have to commit to responsibilities other than to patrol the decks, situations amongst cruisers can be avoided and all passengers who wish can enjoy some time by the pools. On our last cruise on Carnival Splendor back in April, a group "hogged" over 30 deck chairs with a single shoe, a towel, a magazine, or sunscreen. These patrons did not use their saved chairs for over three hours. Imagine the number of guests who would have loved to sit in those unoccupied seats, my husband and me included.

Thank you for considering my request.

Sincerely,

Stargate Fan

P.S. And while they are patrolling, maybe they could redirect the kids away from the ADULTS ONLY Serenity Deck.

I would rather not have them increase costs by hiring people who would do nothing but patrol the pool deck. I would vote no thanks.

I think it would great if everyone just chilled, followed the rules, and didn't get bent if someone else didn't. :p

On our last cruise on Carnival Splendor back in April, a group "hogged" over 30 deck chairs with a single shoe, a towel, a magazine, or sunscreen. These patrons did not use their saved chairs for over three hours.

I don't want to seem crass, but how the heck does a shoe, a towel, a magazine or sunscreen hold a chair for 3 hours? If I wanted to sit by the pool and it had been 30 minutes or more, the stuff would be moved to a different chair and my booty would be in the chair it was occupying. No need to have someone patrolling, just move it.

I would point out this is not specifically a Carnival problem. On RCI's Mariner this summer

the adult pool constantly had kids in it and chair hogs were out in force. It was bad!

This is an issue larger then Carnival.

BTW ,would these pool cops moonlight as MDR guards preventing entry to anyone more then 10 minutes late?

They could also work as bacon police.:D

I don't want to seem crass, but how the heck does a shoe, a towel, a magazine or sunscreen hold a chair for 3 hours? If I wanted to sit by the pool and it had been 30 minutes or more, the stuff would be moved to a different chair and my booty would be in the chair it was occupying. No need to have someone patrolling, just move it.

Exactly. It's not a middle school cafeteria. Move your meat (or never place your meat) and lose your seat.

I understand you might not want to pay someone just to pick up towels, but sometimes there are people working at the towel stations in the Serenity area and they could help out. On one cruise last year my sister and I were sitting taking turns sitting on a chair (the only unsaved place to sit). We noticed two lounges that had been empty the whole time. After one hour I asked the towel station employee to please remove the towels, according to Carnival's policy. He refused, saying he wasn't supposed to do that. I waited 15 more minutes then I folded the towels put them in an area near the door, and took the lounge chairs. We were there for over an hour when a man came up to us and demanded we get and up and get off his towels. I explained that these were our towels. He started yelling about his having to pay for towels we were stealing, then he claimed he had just ran back to the room for a minutes and we had taken his chairs. Luckily someone sitting next to me said he saw me put our own towels down over an hour ago. I even showed him a drink receipt with the time. Then I looked over to where I had put his towels and pointed them out to him. He said he still wanted his lounges back. I just started reading my book. He finally left, but I ran into him a few times on the cruise and he glared at me.

I understand you might not want to pay someone just to pick up towels, but sometimes there are people working at the towel stations in the Serenity area and they could help out. On one cruise last year my sister and I were sitting taking turns sitting on a chair (the only unsaved place to sit). We noticed two lounges that had been empty the whole time. After one hour I asked the towel station employee to please remove the towels, according to Carnival's policy. He refused, saying he wasn't supposed to do that. I waited 15 more minutes then I folded the towels put them in an area near the door, and took the lounge chairs. We were there for over an hour when a man came up to us and demanded we get and up and get off his towels. I explained that these were our towels. He started yelling about his having to pay for towels we were stealing, then he claimed he had just ran back to the room for a minutes and we had taken his chairs. Luckily someone sitting next to me said he saw me put our own towels down over an hour ago. I even showed him a drink receipt with the time. Then I looked over to where I had put his towels and pointed them out to him. He said he still wanted his lounges back. I just started reading my book. He finally left, but I ran into him a few times on the cruise and he glared at me.

I love it!! We have a saying in our house... He will get happy in those pants he is PO'd in! And if he doesn't guess what, you will likely never see him again!

Dear Carnival Beards,

...On our last cruise on Carnival Splendor back in April, a group "hogged" over 30 deck chairs with a single shoe, a towel, a magazine, or sunscreen.

:D

There needs to be a better smiley for that stmt. One that really rolls on the floor laughing.

Why wouldn't you move someone's shoe?

And to that person who said, just chill.. I'm with Stargate.. they should not be allowed to hog chairs.

I had a 1st time cruiser on the Elation accuse me of taking his towel. There was nothing on the chair when I sat down and I was sitting on the towel I put down. Just to save myself from getting into a fist fight with this inconsiderate person who yanked the towel from me I said you want it so bad you got it.

He said I am not getting charged for a towel, it was a sea day not like he left it on a excurssion.

I just walked over to the towel station told them what happened, they had to observed the person make a fool of himself they just handed me another towel and I walked back and sat down.

Just glad he decided to pick on me instead of my developmental disabled sister who was sitting in chair next to me.

I would point out this is not specifically a Carnival problem. On RCI's Mariner this summer

the adult pool constantly had kids in it and chair hogs were out in force. It was bad!

This is an issue larger then Carnival.

BTW ,would these pool cops moonlight as MDR guards preventing entry to anyone more then 10 minutes late?

They could also work as bacon police.:D

We were laughing about stacks and stacks of chairs the Mariner had. I never seen so many lounge chairs on any other cruise ship we have been on........

If someone needs that particular chair... just get up early.

I think it would great if everyone just chilled, followed the rules, and didn't get bent if someone else didn't. :p

Right, until someone infringes on what you would consider important to you....then it would be different, right? In a perfect world we would all follow the rules, that is the most "perfect" scenario. That would indeed be great.

Chair Hogs.....if you leave an item on a chair, and you are not there, and I need or want your chair, and an hour goes by, I will take your chair. You were obviously having so much fun:rolleyes: doing something else that you forgot you had a chair, :oyou didn't need it, so I enjoyed it for you because what you were doing was so much more fun:D than sitting.;);)

Right, until someone infringes on what you would consider important to you....then it would be different, right? In a perfect world we would all follow the rules, that is the most "perfect" scenario. That would indeed be great.

Agreed. Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself against the bullies. I always get up early to see the sunrise and walk the deck so maybe I will do everyone a favor and take all the towels, oranges, etc. off all the saved chairs.

Maybe what we need here are chair timers, of the type some restaurants use for their express lunch specials, you know the in less than 15 minutes or its free type. A person can get up to go get a drink or go to the bathroom, and if they are not back by the time the timer goes off the chair is fair game. I can't imaging such timers could cost more than a dollar each in quantity, simply lanyard one to each deck chair, and when you want to step away for a couple minutes click the start button, if your back by the end of the countdown push the button again to stop.

Maybe what we need here are chair timers, of the type some restaurants use for their express lunch specials, you know the in less than 15 minutes or its free type. A person can get up to go get a drink or go to the bathroom, and if they are not back by the time the timer goes off the chair is fair game. I can't imaging such timers could cost more than a dollar each in quantity, simply lanyard one to each deck chair, and when you want to step away for a couple minutes click the start button, if your back by the end of the countdown push the button again to stop.

Or how about a parking meter when you leave the chair you feed the meter and once expired fair game to be taken over, hey extra revenue for Carnival :rolleyes:

Archived