Mediterranean Wardrobe in November?

Carolfay

I'll be cruising (Windstar) between Barcelona and Lisbon between November 5 and 12. Suggestions as to climate-appropriate clothes will be welcome. I assume that rain is a very real possibility at this time of year. Apparently, bitterly cold weather isn't likely, so I'm guessing I won't need heavy jackets or coats. Any comments?

I'm embarking on my third Mediterranean cruise that starts in late October or early November in a couple of weeks.

Mine have tended to be either in the Eastern or Southern Med, so rain has thankfully been almost nonexistent. But it can happen and is more likely in the Northern and Western Med.

I'll be taking a lightweight fleece jacket and a rain jacket with a hood that I can layer over it if needed. You might consider something similar but with a slightly heavier fleece jacket.

My cruise is longer than yours (16 days plus 4 days in Rome) but I generally pack pretty light. I try to stick with two basic colors black and taupe. I'll be taking 2 pairs of very lightweight long capris (one each in black and a gray/taupe). They wash and dry overnight and can be rolled up into shorts if needed:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing___Women___Pants___ShortsWP027

(I'm mainly bringing them for two days in Tunisia where it may be hot.)

I'm also bringing two pairs of fairly lightweight, Tencel cuffed 'ankle pants' that are a bit dressier looking; again in black and taupe. (Note I take a pair of silk underwear that I can wear underneath if weather is chilly):

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=49&pageId=2&viewAll=&productId=570016622&prd=Tencel+Twill+Cuffed+Ankle+Pant&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=10&catId=cat4809275&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=4&size=

Finally, I'm bringing one pair each of slightly heavier pants in black and brown and one pair of dark, dressy jeans.

For tops, 3 short-sleeved and 5 long- or 3/4-sleeved t-shirts, with one black casual cardigan and one mix and match twill casual jacket.

I'm bringing 2 pairs of walking shoes, one black and one pewter. I think it's important to have at least two pairs. One may get drenched, get damaged, or just rub your foot in a bad place so that you don't want to wear them every day.

If I were doing a more northern itinerary, I might also consider tossing in a pullover sweater, a fleece vest, or something else to layer. And I'd probably bring only 1 pair of capris (just in case) and substitute a heavier pair of pants. Also, bringing a scarf or two and a pair of gloves can really help keep you warm.

Beware of pickpockets -- if you take a purse or bag ashore, one that you can wear cross-body and that zips closed is good, but it is still recommended that any valuables you have with you (e.g., significant amount of money, credit card, passport) be carried under your clothes in a money belt or pouch.

I'm not sure if Windstar has dressy evenings so I won't go into that. Hopefully this helps.

We cruised Barcelona - Cannes + 4 Italian ports same week in 09. Cannes & Italian cities & Pompeii were hot when sightseeing so I'd suggest lightweight when going ashore. We did have some rain in Rome & I found a lightweight folding umbrella useful. Black & taupe are excellent suggestions as the locals in Italy are dressed for winter. Everyone seemed to be wearing a dark coat so my red cardigan did not blend in!

I have been to the Med at least a half dozen times in late October and early November, all land trips, and most of them in Italy, from the north to the south.

We had experienced everything from warm and sunny to cold and wet - cold as in the 40s in the evenings in Tuscany just three years ago. I have a Mycra Pak short, belted trench that I love for that time at it looks great and folds up in a little pack so very small and easy to pack. I would also include a pashmina for cool evenings. I like cardigans for day that I can layer over a tee and tie around my waist when I am not wearing it and am also a fan of twinsets that do double duty.

We have learned to pack clothes that can be layered and always to be prepared for rain. I layer camisoles for extra warmth and like silk ribbed turtlenecks and black pants for evenings in the cities, dressed up with belts and scarves.

The Italians do indeed dress for the season so while I would pack some lighter weight outfits for day, I would leave any summery styles and fabrics at home and always include a pair of lighter leather gloves and a scarf, just in case.

We pack lightly when we go to Europe as we move around on trains so I pay a lot of attention to a color palette as well as to fabric that travels well. Microfiber items always work for me.

Windstar (we are on a Windstar cruise next year to Italy and Croatia and can't wait) has a more country club casual onboard style so need to pack for a typical cruise. I would bring a nice long sleeve jersey wrap dress or two and nice slacks for evenings aboard.

I agree with two pair of walking shoes as I also like to switch off. It makes for happier feet. In the evening, I opt for a black leather bootie with a medium heel for that time of year. With neat hose, they work well with a dress as well as slacks.

I have been to the Med at least a half dozen times in late October and early November, all land trips, and most of them in Italy, from the north to the south.

We had experienced everything from warm and sunny to cold and wet - cold as in the 40s in the evenings in Tuscany just three years ago. I have a Mycra Pak short, belted trench that I love for that time at it looks great and folds up in a little pack so very small and easy to pack. I would also include a pashmina for cool evenings. I like cardigans for day that I can layer over a tee and tie around my waist when I am not wearing it and am also a fan of twinsets that do double duty.

We have learned to pack clothes that can be layered and always to be prepared for rain. I layer camisoles for extra warmth and like silk ribbed turtlenecks and black pants for evenings in the cities, dressed up with belts and scarves.

The Italians do indeed dress for the season so while I would pack some lighter weight outfits for day, I would leave any summery styles and fabrics at home and always include a pair of lighter leather gloves and a scarf, just in case.

We pack lightly when we go to Europe as we move around on trains so I pay a lot of attention to a color palette as well as to fabric that travels well. Microfiber items always work for me.

Windstar (we are on a Windstar cruise next year to Italy and Croatia and can't wait) has a more country club casual onboard style so need to pack for a typical cruise. I would bring a nice long sleeve jersey wrap dress or two and nice slacks for evenings aboard.

I agree with two pair of walking shoes as I also like to switch off. It makes for happier feet. In the evening, I opt for a black leather bootie with a medium heel for that time of year. With neat hose, they work well with a dress as well as slacks.

Caviargal-what about Venice in mid to late November? Also, would taking a train from Rome to Venice and Florence be fairly easy? I understand Venice is 3 and half hours by a fast train and Florence is between and closer to Rome.

Caviargal-what about Venice in mid to late November? Also, would taking a train from Rome to Venice and Florence be fairly easy? I understand Venice is 3 and half hours by a fast train and Florence is between and closer to Rome.

Venice in mid to late November can be pretty chilly and rainy. It's the season there where you are likely to have "acqua alta" or high water -- which means that some of the lower lying areas like the Piazza San Marco may flood. If you Google Acqua Alta Venice (or look on YouTube) you can see what I'm talking about.

Taking a train from Rome to either Florence or Venice is easy. The fast trains (Eurostar or ES) are the best bet if you have limited time. Termini station in Rome is very large (think Grand Central Station -- but not as nice), so give yourself plenty of time to locate your platform and train.

Are you departing your cruise from Rome or Venice?

Venice in mid to late November can be pretty chilly and rainy. It's the season there where you are likely to have "acqua alta" or high water -- which means that some of the lower lying areas like the Piazza San Marco may flood. If you Google Acqua Alta Venice (or look on YouTube) you can see what I'm talking about.

Taking a train from Rome to either Florence or Venice is easy. The fast trains (Eurostar or ES) are the best bet if you have limited time. Termini station in Rome is very large (think Grand Central Station -- but not as nice), so give yourself plenty of time to locate your platform and train.

Are you departing your cruise from Rome or Venice?

so, not much different than earlier in Nov.-sounds like not much different form here in the ATL area.

Caviargal is Italian American-still has family in Italy and visits there often. If I remember correctly, she told us, she even lived there for a few years. She used to post on the FB all the time years ago. That is why I thought she would know.

so, not much different than earlier in Nov.-sounds like not much different form here in the ATL area.

Caviargal is Italian American-still has family in Italy and visits there often. If I remember correctly, she told us, she even lived there for a few years. She used to post on the FB all the time years ago. That is why I thought she would know.

We are booked on a transatlantic from Rome next year. However, we are considering flying into Venice and then taking the train back to Rome, with also spending time in Florence in between Venice and Rome.

We may switch to a repositioning cruse RCI Splendour of the Seas that leaves from Venice and ends in Barcelona-that hits all the ports we want to see. I really prefer the transatlantic as there is only one long--------ggg flight. However, this will take almost all of my husband's vacation time-so no vacation for him until Nov next year. So we may switch to the other cruise-then we would reverse it-fly to Rome, spend time there and Florence and Venice before boarding ship.

Yes, I would say it is very similar to Atlanta at that time of year -- can be chilly and rainy or can be very nice. Hopefully you'll get the better weather!

It's tough deciding between cruises. The repositioning cruises often are a good value. I agree about the long flights, but you do tend to be able to see more places in the same amount of time, which is a plus for me.

Venice will very likely be damp and chilly but with the benefit of far fewer tourists and lower hotel prices. Let me know if you need recommendations on hotels in Florence, Venice and Rome as I have been to all of them a number of times.

The fast trains are about 3.5 hours from Rome and I advise booking tickets online to save money. You will need to do this on the Italian national railway site (not RailEurope.com) which finally accepts US credit cards: http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html. In the past you could not save money by buying in advance but that has changed and the savings can be substantial using their "Mini" fares. Seat reservations are mandatory on the fast trains.

While taking the trains is easy, you will have to carry your own luggage everywhere so pack light. You also need to validate your tickets before boarding. I suggest you go to http://www.slowtrav.com and read their primer on Italian rail travel as it is very helpful for first timers.

Transatlantics are a great bargain but I personally would go nuts on a ship for so many days and would much rather spend my time in Europe than on the water. I love visiting Europe independently rather than by cruise ship as the highlights for me are the cuisine, wine and street life and you miss a lot of this when visiting by cruise ship. It would be great if you could extend and stay in Italy and get a real taste of the country.

Venice will very likely be damp and chilly but with the benefit of far fewer tourists and lower hotel prices. Let me know if you need recommendations on hotels in Florence, Venice and Rome as I have been to all of them a number of times.

The fast trains are about 3.5 hours from Rome and I advise booking tickets online to save money. You will need to do this on the Italian national railway site (not RailEurope.com) which finally accepts US credit cards: http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html. In the past you could not save money by buying in advance but that has changed and the savings can be substantial using their "Mini" fares. Seat reservations are mandatory on the fast trains.

While taking the trains is easy, you will have to carry your own luggage everywhere so pack light. You also need to validate your tickets before boarding. I suggest you go to http://www.slowtrav.com and read their primer on Italian rail travel as it is very helpful for first timers.

Transatlantics are a great bargain but I personally would go nuts on a ship for so many days and would much rather spend my time in Europe than on the water. I love visiting Europe independently rather than by cruise ship as the highlights for me are the cuisine, wine and street life and you miss a lot of this when visiting by cruise ship. It would be great if you could extend and stay in Italy and get a real taste of the country.

Caviargal, thanks-yes-that is the problem-it takes 7 days (a week) to cross. I have trouble with long flights whch is why we are considering it. However, if we do the 7 day cruise and spend another 7 days in Europe, my husband still has a week of vacation-which we could spend somewhere beside the middle of the ocean.

As far as TAs being bargains-anything you save on cruise fare you pay that and more on flights. So,not really a bargain.

I enjoyed the seas days on our Constellation TA, but I am afraid I will not feel that way about the Equinox.

• 4 months later...

I'm also bringing two pairs of fairly lightweight, Tencel cuffed 'ankle pants' that are a bit dressier looking; again in black and taupe. (Note I take a pair of silk underwear that I can wear underneath if weather is chilly):

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=49&pageId=2&viewAll=&productId=570016622&prd=Tencel+Twill+Cuffed+Ankle+Pant&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=10&catId=cat4809275&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=4&size=

If anyone is a size 0-8, these pants are currently on sale at Chico's - regular $79, now $14.98. That's a great deal! Too bad I'm not that small!! ;)

check out the blog, "the Vivienne Files" for great ideas on packing. She just recently did one for April in the spring.

I've been to Venice twice in Nov/Dec. One year was the coldest I've ever been (1st week Dec) and the other time it was crisp (light sweater under a light jacket) and sunny (3rd week of Nov).

either way you'll be in Italy!

Archived