Turnaround time

Lulley766

If anyone has gotten off the Solstice in Ft. Lauderdale recently, can you tell me how fast you were able to disembark? We are looking at an 11 AM flight. We are Select members and not sure if we would get priority disembarkation. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

The Solstice is in Europe for the season and doesn't return to Florida for almost 2 months so no one has gotten off recently in FLL.

11 AM is at least a half hour before the cruise line's recommended time for flights out of FLL. Personally, I stick with the cruise line's recommended times which allow for a certain amount of delay.

Still, 11AM is relatively safe bet for FLL as the airport is only 10 minutes away by cab. If you request an early disembarkation time you should be OK. Generally speaking disembarkation in FLL begins not much after 7AM for those that self-disembark (carry their own luggage off) and by 8AM for those claiming their luggage in the terminal. Generally the last passengers off are leaving around 9:30. But this schedule presumes no delays or disembarkation issues and it is not uncommon to have some minor issues and occasional major issues.

Personally, I'd consider the 11AM but would prefer something a little later. The only times I'd never consider an 11AM at FLL would be a holiday cruise, when the port is usually busier than usual and there might be fewer cabs than normal, and at the end of a repositioning cruise where the ship might have extra inspections or customs procedures to go through.

11:00 AM should be okay for Ft. Lauderdale. However, be aware that thare can be problems. Once had a two hour delay due to Immigration. They said that the equiptment wasn't working and that we couldn't leave the ship until it was fixed. Fortunately, delays have been rare. I would suggest that if possible you use self disembarkation. This is where you walk off carrying you own luggage. There is no help available if you do it, but if you can handle it you'll have more than enough time to spare.

Part of the reason the 11am flight is cheaper than the later ones is because many or most cruisers would find the 11am flight undesirable for the reasons Larry mentioned. Basically, it's a gamble. You're risking whatever it would cost you in terms of both time and money if you were not able to make your early flight versus the couple of hundred you'd save. Do you have deep enough pockets to handle the potential cost of rebooking and possibly staying an extra day? Would getting back a day late cause any problems? Would the stress of worrying if you'll miss your flight undo all the wonderful effects of the cruise? My personal rule of thumb is no flights before noon. But my gut feeling is that, in the long run, the strategy of the cheaper, earlier flight would pay off. Just be prepared for that occasional missed flight.

It depends on where you are coming from. On a TA things can get really messed up with immigration. We ended up with a horrible disembarkation and even those with noon flights would have missed them. It's the luck of the draw. We prefer to book later and be relaxed.

Archived