Lodging on the Appian Way???

wantocruisemore

In trying to figure out the best way to add a day on the Appian Way to our trip next summer I think I may have hit upon an idea. Stay a few days pre-cruise in the historic section of Rome (we usually rent an apartment), leave for our Sat. to Sat. Western Med cruise, get off the ship Sat. morning and head to a hotel or B&B on the Appian Way for a couple of nights. That way we will have all day Sunday and some of Sat. afternoon to explore it. Head to the airport on Monday morning for the flight home.

Does anyone know or can recommend any places to stay? There will be 4 of us in the family, parents and 2 DD's, ages 22 & 20. We can either do 2 rooms or fine for one.

I did a quick search and found All Ombra della Appia Antica, a B&B that looks to be right on the Appian Way, near the Aquaduct Park. I plan to do more research and check Trip Advisor too.

Anyone have any thoughts? The Appian Way is on our must see list. I know it's easier to see it on a Sunday when part of it is closed to traffic. That's when I started thinking that if the only reason for the post-cruise stay is the Appian Way then why not stay out closer to it. Especially since we would have had a few days in Rome center pre-cruise.

I applaud your idea in theory. I wish someone would open a beautiful B&B or small hotel on the Appia Antica. (Hmmm.....maybe I should do it.) But if my memory is good (from 2006), there really aren't many options for this. Maybe you'll have more luck on Tripadvisor.

It really isn't that difficult to get to the Appian Way from anywhere in central Rome. It is a bit more of a pain to get to the Aqueduct park, but I believe you can get pretty close on the metro. (I have the directions somewhere, from a post on Tripadvisor; I can look them up if you need them.)

This is where I found the information about lodging and that got me thinking about just staying out that way post-cruise a couple of nights. Here's the link: http://goitaly.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=goitaly&cdn=travel&tm=9&gps=61_733_1004_610&f=21&su=p531.54.336.ip_&tt=29&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/default.asp

And here's one of the places we were considering, although there are more: http://www.ombrantica.it/

The responses on Trip Advisor seem to be discouraging staying out that way. We're interested mainly in the Aqueducts, the villas and the mausuleum (names escape me right now but they are the ones always mentioned). The catacombs are only to be included if we can't get the Scavi tour of the Vatican.

If the Aquaducts are so far away from the rest of the sites we might be better off just arranging a private tour through the week where a driver can take us to each of the sites, we can explore, then hop in and head to the next. I'm just trying to get a feel of locations of the sites on the Apian Way and how far they are from one another.

I realize buses are easy options for alot of people but my oldest DD is mentally disabled, similar to autism. If the bus takes too long to get there or we miss it or get lost, she will have a meltdown. Walking that road through the week is not an option with her, neither are bike or horseback riding tours. One of the reasons I try to plan things out so is that she does well if things go smoothly. She loves to travel and see historic things and is very keen on ancient ruins and wants to go back to Rome. She loved the trip this past summer. First time I can remember she had almost a continuous smile on her face.

Post Note: For some reason although I cut and pasted the entire link to the lodging page list from the Go Italy site, only the first page will show up. I got to the lodging section by clicking on the side and then scrolling down again on the side to where it said lodging.

I think you'd love (and your DD would love) the Aqueduct Park. It's a very peaceful and beautiful place.

The problem with the Appian Way is that it's quite a stretch between the sites that are of interest to most people.

Closest to Rome you have the gate, the area where you can walk the walls (although fair warning that the last couple of times I've been to Rome, this option wasn't available) and not too far is the "Domine Quo Vadis" church. There is also a small museum near the gate.

A bit farther along are the catacombs and the Tomb of Cecelia Metella. Having done one of the major catacombs on the Appian Way (there are 3) and also the Scavi tour, I can tell you that there are big differences between them. Still, it's up to you as to whether you want to do both.

Just beyond the tomb of Cecelia Metella is one of the nicest stretches of the road, where you can actually walk on the huge ancient foundation stones of the Via Appia, and there are pleasant ruins of tombs along the sides. This goes on for several miles.

Farther still is the Aqueduct Park, which is not actually "on" the Appian Way but is close to it.

In your situation, you could consider taking a taxi to Cecelia Metella tomb, then walking a while beyond it to get the true experience. Then walk back to CM tomb, where there are usually taxis (because of the nearby catacombs). Get a taxi to take you to Aqueduct Park -- you might have them wait depending on how long you think you'll be -- and then drive you back to the start of the road IF you want to see the museum and/or try to walk the walls.

Or....you could arrange for a private tour.

Actually the taxi idea is good. I had thought about a taxi there but was concerned about getting back.

DH really wants to see the Aquaducts. That B & B I listed seems to imply it is in, or right at, the Aquaduct Park. Maybe we could stay there two nights and do the taxi thing from there to the other sites.

Or it may just be simpler to stay in Rome center longer pre-cruise and spend a day seeing what we want to see on Appian Way/Aquaduct Park.

I am going to also check into the private tour option. With my family's special needs that may be the least stressful and most enjoyable way.

Good luck with your planning. I hope you'll report on what you decide to do. I was planning on doing the Appian Way again on my trip in a few weeks but due to being able to get into some sites that are normally closed (or difficult to access) at the last minute, it looks like I'll have to put this off until next October.

In trying to figure out the best way to add a day on the Appian Way to our trip next summer I think I may have hit upon an idea. Stay a few days pre-cruise in the historic section of Rome (we usually rent an apartment), leave for our Sat. to Sat. Western Med cruise, get off the ship Sat. morning and head to a hotel or B&B on the Appian Way for a couple of nights. That way we will have all day Sunday and some of Sat. afternoon to explore it. Head to the airport on Monday morning for the flight home.

Does anyone know or can recommend any places to stay? There will be 4 of us in the family, parents and 2 DD's, ages 22 & 20. We can either do 2 rooms or fine for one.

I did a quick search and found All Ombra della Appia Antica, a B&B that looks to be right on the Appian Way, near the Aquaduct Park. I plan to do more research and check Trip Advisor too.

Anyone have any thoughts? The Appian Way is on our must see list. I know it's easier to see it on a Sunday when part of it is closed to traffic. That's when I started thinking that if the only reason for the post-cruise stay is the Appian Way then why not stay out closer to it. Especially since we would have had a few days in Rome center pre-cruise.

That hotel is taking slight poetic (commercial, really, but I'm being polite) license. It is a block off the road Via Appia Nuova (New Appia Way). It is a mile or so from the "real" Appian Way. It is short walk to the Aquaduct Park .. 20 minutes maybe.

That hotel is taking slight poetic (commercial, really, but I'm being polite) license. It is a block off the road Via Appia Nuova (New Appia Way). It is a mile or so from the "real" Appian Way. It is short walk to the Aquaduct Park .. 20 minutes maybe.

Thanks. Do you by any chance know of some place to stay out there that may be more appropriate?

Thanks. Do you by any chance know of some place to stay out there that may be more appropriate?

Sorry, but I don't. There are not many choices there (as you have found out). I've always taken the bus from the central city.

Also bear in mind that quad rooms are fairly thin on the ground. If you book through Expedia, Venere, etc., you might also want to contact the hotel directly to double-check if they say you have a room that will sleep four people.

Also bear in mind that quad rooms are fairly thin on the ground. If you book through Expedia, Venere, etc., you might also want to contact the hotel directly to double-check if they say you have a room that will sleep four people.

Thanks, but we don't have to have a quad. 2 rooms will be fine. That's what we're doing on the cruise. For our pre-cruise Rome stay we're going to get an apartment.

I just talked to my sister and BIL last night; they did the Appia Antica a few Sundays ago per Rick Steves. They took the bus out and back and said it was absolutely packed -- no room to move and not enough room to slide a piece of paper between people standing.

They were fine but I think, given your situation, you're wise to forego the bus.

I just talked to my sister and BIL last night; they did the Appia Antica a few Sundays ago per Rick Steves. They took the bus out and back and said it was absolutely packed -- no room to move and not enough room to slide a piece of paper between people standing.

They were fine but I think, given your situation, you're wise to forego the bus.

Yea, I think so too. If it was that packed a few weeks ago, imagine what it would be like in June!

The more I hear about the bus, the more I think either taxi or private tour is the way to go.

I still have not given up on a post cruise stay out there and will keep updating if I find additional info. So far I've found alot of places listed but most seem close to the metro stop that's out that way and I rather stay in Rome central than do that.

Archived