Is Ocho Rios That Bad???

lukeduke07

Ive heard many people comment about the pushy vendors but is Ocho Rios that bad of a place? does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the most out if it?

Book a tour to Dunn's River Falls.. ignore all the vendors and go have fun;)

Vendors are rathy pushy in selling you illegal things.

Best thing to do is mind your own business say no thank you and do not make eye contact.

Last few times we walked (about 1/2 mile) to Margaritaville and spend a few hours there.

Or take a tour to Dunns River Falls if you are in reasonably good shape.

We did Dunns River Falls and loved it. Our excursion was twofold; the second part included a beach party. Vendors were run off by locals. (I am assuming the locals doing the shooing were some type of security.) Book through a reputable service, and you should be fine.

We were just there less than 2 weeks ago and it's true that the vendors are very pushy. All we did was say "no thank you" and keep walking - we had no issues with anyone not respecting our answer. We have been there 3-4 other times and not once on any of those occasions have we been offered anything illegal.

Go and have fun -

Yes, the vendors are pushy in Ocho Rios. When DH and I were walking back to the ship, we popped into an open air bar for a drink; it was right on the water and very close to the ship. We had no sooner taken a sip of our drinks when :eek: we heard someone talking to us. From the water below. Turns out it was a vendor who had swam out to us with his little box of necklaces to peddle. This reataurant/bar had signage all over the place warning vendors to stay away, but this guy got an "A" for effort, lol.

And yes, there were people who looked like walking pharmacies trying to sell you drugs, very close to the ship. We just ignored them or said "No, thank you" and continued on our way. It's too bad Ocho Rios' port area is like that.....but it is what it is.

Ocho Rios is one of our favorite places due to the people there. If you treat them like bums in a third world nation, they'll act like it. If you treat them as equals and show them respect (real big there), they'll respect you and treat you as an equal.

Be a traveler, not a toursit , and it's a great place.

Ocho Rios is one of our favorite places due to the people there. If you treat them like bums in a third world nation, they'll act like it. If you treat them as equals and show them respect (real big there), they'll respect you and treat you as an equal.

Be a traveler, not a toursit , and it's a great place.

I so agree. Jamaica is one of our favorite places. We first went there 20 years ago and the vendors were agressive even then. But they are also the friendliest people. Last time we went to MoBay, the 5 in our group took a cab to a craft market. We were the only ones there. The mercahnts were agressive in the first store or two trying to get us to go down to there store. When we told them, and they realized, we were in fact looking at everyones stuff and spreading the money between several crafters, they were all so much fun! One young man became our cockatail waiter running to get us Red Stripes. We tippes him and he was thrilled. The older men played their musical instruments with our daughter. We chatted with the ladies. One of our best memories

Dunns is an amazing experience and the Martha Brea was also non vendor.

Please don't be afraid of this amazing place. The cruise chips would not be going there if it is really that bad

I love Ochos Rios. We were there a couple of months ago and yes the vendors are pushy. But we said "no thank you" and kept walking and they got the message. I did not feel unsafe at all. We even walked downtown to the outdoor flea market. It was quite interesting. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Book a tour to Dunn's River Falls.. ignore all the vendors and go have fun;)

Diddo! We did a sail and falls trip, had an awesome time. Didn't have any problem with the vendors, even in the market outside. It's not bad at all IMO, but opinions vary widely on this subject.

No it is not really that bad, although it makes some people very uncomfortable and others have had bad experiences that has turned them off.

I agree with the "be a traveler, not a tourist" attitude, but if you are a little unsure, the way to get the most out of it is to hire a private tour guide for the day. Go over to the ports of call board and ask for recommendations. Due to board rules, no one can give you names of guides with good reputations unless you ask for the input.

The carnival excursions are generic and people have fun, but if you want to experience something more "real" about Jamaica and feel totally safe, take a private guide. After the first time, you may feel comfortable going it on on your own.

Maybe even buy something if you want some souveniers! We always shop for a magnet for our fridge from every port we're in. Must have one! And maybe a trinket or two. DH loves stuff like banana ketchup and hot sauce.

Bring small bills, and pay in cash.

Enjoy the market atmosphere, just say "no thank you" to over zealous vendors.

Have a great big smile, a friendly attitude, and have a blast.

We're middle aged husband and wife travellers, and we've never had a bad experience.

Ive heard many people comment about the pushy vendors but is Ocho Rios that bad of a place? does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the most out if it?

Yes it is that bad...

To make the most of it, take a ships tour and don't wander on your own, like we stupidly tried to do, like we have at every port we have been to.

I'm 6 foot 1 big guy and after the taxi drivers outside did not like our polite, but firm, "No we are not interested in a private tour" repeatedly.

The two drivers tried to physically separate DW and I .

I have been all over the world on land and cruise vacations and I am very conscious of my surroundings, no matter what city, US or foreign that I am in.

Have never felt more unsafe than I did at that moment.

We always have read people lodge the same "pushy vendors" complaint about Nassau and DW and I foolishly assumed it was the same over reaction, as we have never had any problems in Nassau.

Boy were we wrong.

Bill

I love Ocho Rios. It is my favorite port. The vendors are a bit pushy but usually a simple no thanks is all that is needed. The falls are beautiful place. So lush and green and a reall thrill to climb. The food (jerk, meat patties, rum, Red Stripe beer) is so good there. The music is amazing. The mountains are beautiful also. The people are very friendly and warm. Jamaica has a rich history and culture.

As for being offered illegal stuff, I have been offered it in NYC, LA, Mexico, Hawaii and lots of other places. To quote Nancy Regan, "Just say No." It works every time. No one is gonna hold you down and make you smoke it.

It truly is one of the worse ports for pushy vendors/taxi drivers. We had a great time with the vendors inside the secure zone at the port but once throught the gates it was a whole other world. We won't go back. Much nicer on the ship.

This port is bad for pushy people but if you take a tour the guide will take care of the BS pushy people. I can recommend Peat Taylor. We did the Dunns River Falls and a horse ride into the water. We rode through a Jamaican Ghetto and were never bothered except a few of the people asked our Son (18) if he wanted to buy Pot. We just ignored them and no problems at all.

For me yes it's that bad. I don't like people wanting to sell me drugs, pushy vendors (loud and obnoxious), and being followed around (gangs of guys and one will want me to pay them protection money to protect me from their friends). I've also been asked if I'll exchange US dollars for Jamacian dollars at what seems like a incredible exchange rate, makes me leary and I don't do it -- but at least at one time I know people were limited in US dollars they could get. I wouldn't ever venture off of the ship my myself, even in popular areas in broad daylight given past negative experiences. I'd want to at least have DH or someone with me / a big tour group would be even better. There are many people who don't have any problem with any of this and think all this is fun and that the people are charming and delightful, but I don't enjoy it at all.

Now my mom loves Jamacia. On week long stays she comes with a suit case full of inexpensive tennis shoes, kleenex, shampoos, etc. and trades these for wood carvings, straw hats, straw bags, etc. Never uses any cash / has a bast doing this.

I would recommend booking a tour with the ship. Dunn River Falls is a great choice. Very unique to be able to climb up a waterfall. From there you can see what you think of the place and decide whether to hang on the ship or explore in Ocho Rios. My pick after an organized tour is the ship.

Archived