Lost luggage at end of cruise

It happened to a friend. There was one bag left, and when the cruise line checked, the owner of that bag had my friend's. He took it to Tallahassee with him, and my friend had to pay to have it shipped to him. Worse yet, the guy actually took it knowing it wasn't his, but was frustrated at not finding his quickly, and just took one! The cruise line eventually reimbursed my friend.

Check to see if any bag was left unclaimed, yours may have gone the way my friend's did.

Yes! We had this problem several years ago when we returned to Seattle after an Alaska cruise. Another passenger had taken our bag. They eventually contacted us and we were able to get it back (they finally sent it back to us) about 10 days later, but it was a major inconvenience. At the time I thought these people were very inconsiderate - we were very upset about the missing luggage, but they seemed to take their time trying to contact us. And then they had the nerve to gripe about how much it cost to send it back to us!! My response was that learning to check the tags on the luggage they take would save them money in the future.

Apparently our bag looked like their bag, so they ended up taking it. (They also took their own similar bag and evidently didn't notice they had an extra until after they got home.) I was pretty upset about this, especially since our bag was clearly marked with our name and contact info in THREE places.

Now we are anxiety prone when we go to get our luggage after each cruise, but happily it hasn't happened again. I hope you get your bag back!! Check with RC and report the loss - hopefully they can help you. They did try to help us, but until the other passenger made contact, we were stuck. Good luck!

Judy

We filled out the paperwork at the port and later that day spoke with a Royal Caribbean representative who checked back with personnel at the port, but they came up empty-handed. We are supposed to receive a call this Friday to tell us how to proceed with filing a claim. It's just very discouraging. I hope there aren't a whole lot more people out there like the Tallahassee guy, though. Wow.

I hope so, too! At least your story gives us some hope. I don't understand how anyone can be oblivious to carting around an extra suitcase; we're always taking "inventory" when we're lugging our stuff and would definitely notice an extra.

I absolutely agree!! We are also people who make sure we have the right stuff when we leave the port. (Now we tie a rather obnoxious color piece of ribbon around each bag when we set them in the hallway the last night. Don't know if that's helped, but at least it makes us feel better and it hasn't happened again.)

It's unfortunate that RC can't come up with some kind of system where luggage tags are checked against sea passes when you leave. The post cruise luggage grabbing system they have is just short of mayhem! Please come back and post what happens with your bag - I'm hoping for the best for you.

Judy

Sorry, I'm a "newb" at this. haha. Going on my first cruise Saturday! Was thinking about doing the thing where you walk off with your own luggage? Can't remember what that's called.

But just to clarify, does something like this happen when you follow the usual procedure of setting your luggage outside your cabin on the last night? And then I assume someone comes around to take the luggage and puts it all in a centralized location where you pick it up on your way off the ship?

But this couldn't happen if you choose to take your own luggage off? I assume when you choose that option, you just keep your luggage in your cabin with you until the morning when it's time to... do whatever you're supposed to do to start getting off the ship? haha. Boy I'm bad at this, sorry! I just want it to be quick and easy. I'm only going to have one medium sized roller suitcase, and then a smaller bag that I can easily carry overy my shoulder.

Slightly different. But my case got damaged when they were taking it off the ship. We filled out a form and was told someone from the UK office would contact me in a couple of days. Well three weeks past and nothing so I called them. They were extremely helpful and a said a cheque would be in the post. Well today it arrived as promised with a lovely covering letter saying sorry. So my advice would be is to make contact with Rccl and keep in contact with them. Good luck

Sorry, I'm a "newb" at this. haha. Going on my first cruise Saturday! Was thinking about doing the thing where you walk off with your own luggage? Can't remember what that's called.

But just to clarify, does something like this happen when you follow the usual procedure of setting your luggage outside your cabin on the last night? And then I assume someone comes around to take the luggage and puts it all in a centralized location where you pick it up on your way off the ship?

But this couldn't happen if you choose to take your own luggage off? I assume when you choose that option, you just keep your luggage in your cabin with you until the morning when it's time to... do whatever you're supposed to do to start getting off the ship? haha. Boy I'm bad at this, sorry! I just want it to be quick and easy. I'm only going to have one medium sized roller suitcase, and then a smaller bag that I can easily carry overy my shoulder.

It's called express disembarkation, or something like that, and we are seriously considering doing that next time. Yes, you keep your luggage in your cabin as opposed to placing it in the hallway the night before, and you actually get off the ship earlier than other passengers. Not a bad idea. Our missing suitcase had a bright red handle wrap with our phone number written inside, so it did have some distinguishing characteristic.

Hi Jan - Remember we all took a first cruise once, and lots of us got answers to our questions right here! So my opinion is....the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!:)

You are correct - if you choose to carry your own luggage off the ship, it won't happen. (unless YOU leave one of your bags somewhere :eek:) If you want the porters to pick up your luggage, you set it outside your door on the last night. It is then picked up and taken into the terminal. There's an area where all the bags are lined up. After you exit the ship, you'll go to this area to retrieve your luggage before you go through Customs and exit the terminal.

Judy

Sorry that you lost a piece of luggage. I hope that you get it back. I do not understand why people grab a piece of luggage that looks like theirs but they don't check the name tag. I have pulled a piece off of the conveyer belt @ port or airport, read the tag, and put it back on the belt if it is not mine.

On our last cruise we did the express departure and it was great. Aside from the fact that we had to leave the ship so early we loved the experience -- no need to put our luggage out the night before and we knew that we would have our own luggage. Since that cruise a couple of people told me that you really don't need to get off the ship so early. I don't know if that is true or not. I do know that I will use express on our next cruise even if we do need to depart early as it was a breeze.

Nice. Thanks for your kind replies to my question! Express debarkation it is! :)

Truly hope the OP gets their bag bag soon. I, too, cannot even imagine how/why someone would just grab a bag and how they wouldn't know for certain it's theirs. Maybe a big family and too much to keep track of I guess. But the guy who took it home knowing it wasn't his? That's nuts! LOL

on our Allure cruise in August at debarkation one person had one bag come up missing out of many bags for our group of 18...First for us out of many cruises...

he filled out a claim form before leaving the pier and eventually RCCL contacted him...turned out his identifying tag was lost off the bag so RCCL never set it out in the terminal...not sure when the tag fell off....the bag was ID'd from his Welcome to Emerald Status Letter that he had put inside of his bag...of course RCCL sent his bag to him...why they didn't check the "tag missing" stacs before he left the pier I don't know...

I hope the OP finds the missing bag...I try to carry anythng of importance off the ship myself but I still have plenty in the other bags that I would not want to have to replace...

I hope so, too! At least your story gives us some hope. I don't understand how anyone can be oblivious to carting around an extra suitcase; we're always taking "inventory" when we're lugging our stuff and would definitely notice an extra.

I can totally imagine how it could happen. Then again, I've travelled with a family group of 12 that had 23 pieces of checked luggage, plus my inlaws have one of those matched sets with the little hat boxes and train cases. We didn't take anyone elses bag, but I can see where having a few folks pull bags for the whole group could result in grabbing the wrong one.

Many years ago as a super novice traveler, coming off a cruise, with a main bag, that I thought I was the only one on earth with, NOT, picked up this persons bag, left the terminal, had a hotel stay in Ft laudedale, realized the error, phoned the cruise line, and gave them the info, went home the next day, got a phone call from the other pissed owner, found they lived just north of me, they stopped by the next day on there way home. I bought them dinner for there trouble. Stuff does happen.

Many years ago as a super novice traveler, coming off a cruise, with a main bag, that I thought I was the only one on earth with, NOT, picked up this persons bag, left the terminal, had a hotel stay in Ft laudedale, realized the error, phoned the cruise line, and gave them the info, went home the next day, got a phone call from the other pissed owner, found they lived just north of me, they stopped by the next day on there way home. I bought them dinner for there trouble. Stuff does happen.

You are correct, stuff does happen. And I would hope that these things happen mostly to the novice traveler. Once you have been on a few cruises, or flown a few times, one should understand that someone else just might own the exact same luggage. As I stated earlier, I have removed the wrong piece from a conveyer belt, read the tag and put it back on if it was not mine. I bet the people whose luggage you took felt badly once you took them to dinner. Just goes to show you that mistakes happen and that there a decent people in this world who truly feel badly when they inconvenience someone else. Good for you for showing them you were sorry by taking them to dinner.

I've had luggage straps made with my last name printed on them that I put around all my luggage that I hand in, it comes in very handy at airports and after cruises when finding my luggage. The straps are about 2 inches thick and brightly coloured so there's really little chance of someone taking our case in error as you can't miss it.

I've had luggage straps made with my last name printed on them that I put around all my luggage that I hand in, it comes in very handy at airports and after cruises when finding my luggage. The straps are about 2 inches thick and brightly coloured so there's really little chance of someone taking our case in error as you can't miss it.

Where did you get those, please? Thanks.

We were unable to find our luggage in it's designated place one time. Turns out the tag fell(torn) off & it was put in a special area. Took us about an hour to find out there was such an area. Yep it was there:o

We put bright pink duct tape on our luggage, a strip on each side. Very unique & easy to find. I would think it would discourage honest mistakes & thieves. We may look like hicks but who cares........

Where did you get those, please? Thanks.

I'm in the UK and you dont have your location on your profile so I'm assuming you're not near me, but if you google for personalized luggage straps I'm sure there must be a few suppliers. Mine were ordered online and took about a week to come.

Luggage tags on mine that the bag would almost have to be lost at sea, or in a tornado not to have some Id on it LOL. Having said that, flying through Philadelphia and during immigration, I discovered, on a return trip, all the Id taqs were missing except one. Never can have tooooooo many, even my luggage straps have our Id on them.

Several years ago I was getting off a Princess Cruise in Ft. Lauderdale and couldn't find my American Tourister luggage. I was frantic. A cruise representation help me look and was very nice. I found it. There was one unclaimed bag that looked similar to mind. Anyway, someone accidentally mistook mine for theirs and was in line to check it in with the airline baggage reps. They were very apologetic and we exchanged bags. Just to note - cruise lines will not take responsibility for lost or stolen luggage this is why you must have travel insurance covering lost luggage or coverage under your homeowners policy. Cruise lines are dealing each week with thousands of bags and a certain percentage will get lost, stolen or mistaken. Some are returned and some are not. Never place items (money, jewelry or valuables) you don't want to lose other then some use & dirty clothes in a checked bag.

It happen to me twice.

Several year ago arriving in Barcelona on the Brillance my bag never came off the ship.

After report I went on my city tour. Just before my flight I was called and informed my bag was put on the plane.Lucky me.

Then 2 years ago I flew in to Amsterdam to pick up my sister for a Venice cruise 2 days later and no bag the was left in London.

Again report and the day off our flight to Venice the bag was deliverd at my sisters house.

Now I do only self carry next week when I go on the Brilliance again.

Seen many PAX with the same clothing for several days because there bags got lost and delivered at the next port.

Archived