Switching rooms once you are boarded...

Putter

If you can't move beforehand you should approach guest relations once on board.

We once had an ocean view cabin on a lower level and were contacted on day 2, by phone, from guest relations asking if we would help accomodate a family (who wanted to be across from each other) and move to an ocean view cabin with a larger window on an upper level. We were happy to make the move and accomodate the family.

Had it been to a balcony, we would have been packed in an instant!

At any rate, I think it was more appropriate coming from a cruise representative than a knock on the door from a passenger.

The children are in the room with grandma. It would just be easier if our room was next to them. I guess it does seem to be tacky, I was just thinking on a personal level. If someone asked us to switch from an oceanview to a mid-level balcony, I'd be all over it. It's the upgrade that we all would like prior to the cruise from an NCL rep, but I guess it does seem 'weird' from a stanger at the beginning of cruise.

I like the idea of maybe getting a hold that rooms TA. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The person in the room you want to switch to probably put some thought into choosing their cabin. Maybe they need to be at a lower level because of seasickness etc. Needs to be taken care of now and not when you get to the ship. Why didn't you book an oceanview in the first place and not a balcony?

I appreciate all the input from everybody. It seems to be 50/50 on the persons feelings/reaction about being approached about the switch. I guess it really depends on who you ask, when you ask, how you ask and who is with you when you ask.

We are travelling on the Jewel out out of New Yotk on November 12th. I like the idea of having my wife and kids with us if we have to ask. This could help eliminate any type of suspicion. My ultimate goal is to try to get this taken care prior to the cruise.

However, if not, I like the idea of first talking to the person who checks us in. Maybe, offering somebody with an upgrade as they check in would not only be a pleasant surprise, but could also eliminate any interaction.

If that gets us no where, the idea of a written note on their door prevents any 'on the spot' type of decision. I like that idea, too.

Lastly, having a rep next to you (even a steward), could also eliminate any suspicion.

I will also try the roll call, too.

I understand the reluctance of making the switch. The inconvienance of the luggage transfer, switching out the room card, credit card and OBC issues/transfers and so forth. But I feel the hour or so of taking care of all of this for a chance to stay in a balcony room for a week is worth it. That's just me. Plus, for those with fear of 'being scammed' issues (me included), it isnt like its a street hussle where you may never see us again. You know where were at and it is on a ship with really no where to hide. I guess we'll find out and see. I hope one of these ideas works. We are even willing to switch to an inside room. Prefer an oceanside, but would take an inside room. I would hope someone either next or across from where our chiildren will be staying will say yes. Looking at the deck plans, there are 5 choices that would work for us.

Once again, thank you all the suggestion and idea's. I'll keep reading the suggestions and keep you all updated...

You can't do this at check in...you have to go to Guest Relations once you board the ship to request a cabin change.

Frankly, if someone I didn't know were to knock on my door and ask me if I'd like to switch cabins, my first thought would be that something is seriously wrong here, and I might even report it to security. Knocking on someone's door is a really bad idea...don't even think of doing it...let Guest Relations try to relocate you.

Edited by njhorseman

Here's an idea... Forget the kids and grandma!!! Enjoy your vacation! Your on the same boat, a little distance isn't going to kill you. At least you brought your kids and mom with you and didn't leave them at home with grandma. Enjoy your romantic balcony and put up the do not disturb sign!

You can't do this at check in...you have to go to Guest Relations once you board the ship to request a cabin change.

Frankly, if someone I didn't know were to knock on my door and ask me if I'd like to switch cabins, my first thought would be that something is seriously wrong here, and I might even report it to security. Knocking on someone's door is a really bad idea...don't even think of doing it...let Guest Relations try to relocate you.

Or it could be some dope like me who transposed the cabin numbers of a relative and knocked on the wrong door:D

Very embarrassing indeed:o

Or it could be some dope like me who transposed the cabin numbers of a relative and knocked on the wrong door:D

Very embarrassing indeed:o

LOL... my mother was in a cabin 3 doors down from us on the Pearl last January... I knocked on the wrong door about 3 times (separate occasions) before the nice man inside started to open the door to tell me my mom was next door! :o:o

Ask your TA if you can switch the inside cabin, one on a higher deck would only cost about $20 more. I looked at your sailing and it seems as if there are several insides on every deck that has balconies. Even if you could not be right across from each other, at least you would be on the same deck a short distance from each other. You could not pay me enough to give up a cabin with balcony, we enjoy our balcony so much we probably would not cruise if we did not have a balcony.

Why not try to switch to an already empty cabin now before the cruise?

Surely whomever you booked your cruise with should be able toj do that.

Here's an idea... Forget the kids and grandma!!! Enjoy your vacation! Your on the same boat, a little distance isn't going to kill you. At least you brought your kids and mom with you and didn't leave them at home with grandma. Enjoy your romantic balcony and put up the do not disturb sign!

agree! keep the balcony, and since your room is the nicer one everyone can come over to yours for breakfast on the balcony and drinks after dinner, dont give it up. You can use the phone to call each others cabins and tell them to come over, or you can put up the do not disturb sign when it suits you. if I was traveling with family and was offered an upgrade on the other side of the ship a different deck to them, or given the option to stay next door to them in an inside, id say goodbye to my kids and run to the balcony lol Enjoy the time with your wife and dont worry about ther kids

With all the help, we decided to go to guest relations once we arrive and ask for a switch. Guest relations can call the room and ask for the switch. If the first room declines, they can then ask the next room. There are 5 rooms that would work for us. 3 oceanviews across from where the kids are staying and the 2 inside room on each side. I'm am hoping one of the 5 would say yes.

Even if the room is unpacked, I'm sure a call from the front desk about moving to a balcony can make them re-pack, especially if they are staying in an inside room.

I think most people agreed that a call from an NCL rep is the proper way to go versus just knocking on the door.

Thank you for all the advice!

Okay, here is what I would do. Two options.

1 - go to the ROLL CALL and see if you can find somebody.

2 - IMMEDIATELY upon boarding, go to each of the cabins you are interested in. Tape a note on the door - an envelope would be best - with your request. Give them your cell number to call and agree to meet at the front desk to do the swap out. Cell phone calls while still in port are free.

p.s. - though going to guest relations is a great idea, I have little faith they would help you out.

Edited by garycarla

I took a quick look at the availability on your cruise, there's a lot, including oceanviews on deck 4. It's your TA job to be your advocate and they need to call NCL explain the situation and see what can be done for minimal $$. If your TA won't then ask them to call NCL and give their permission for you to work directly with NCL. If they refuse, call NCL and talk to a supervisor, explain that your TA will not work for you and ask what can be done. This may sound complicated but it shouldn't that hard to resolve, good luck, we're all rooting for you.

• 3 years later...
In short, we have a mid-ship balcony on the 10th floor. We were booked as a group reservation. We would like to move to the 5th floor for an oceanview room (a downgrade), so we can be across from where our children are staying (separate reservation). Much easier for naps and bedtime. There are 3 specific rooms that we would like to get, but all are booked already. Since we were part of a group reservation, and any of the 3 rooms would like are booked, they said it could not be done.

The question I have is once we are boarded, could we knock on that door and ask for a switch. My wife thinks it is tacky and inappropriate. Most important question, if this agreed upon could the switch be done by going to the front desk and switching out the keys. Next, is this tacky and looks suspicious? If someone approached you with this request would you do it? Or is this just a waste of time. Any input would be appreciated...

hey if you asked me to switch my ov to your balcony heck yes so go ahead and try it couldn't hurt to try! but better to make it official at the resv. desk so no mix-up with accounts....

[quote name='nikimouse'][B]If you're on my cruise ill swap!!![/B] :D you could ask the staff at check in to contact said room number to ask if they would like to upgrade to a balcony - no brainer im certain they will say yes! just get it done befor people have unpacked and i dont think it will be a problem. even if you knocked on the door yourself and explained that your children are in the room next door and you would really like to be in the room next to them, and offered the swap im sure they would understand and wouldnt feel that it was odd, might think you are a lil crazy to be giving up a balcony , but im sure theyd be pleased that you approached them , I wouldnt feel creeped out by this at all , Id even buy you a few drinks to say thanks!!! maybe its best that the staff approach them instead of you, just so that they dont feel like they are being tricked. good luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise[/QUOTE]

Great idea have the staff ask.

[quote name='Putter']The children are in the room with grandma. It would just be easier if our room was next to them. I guess it does seem to be tacky, I was just thinking on a personal level. If someone asked us to switch from an oceanview to a mid-level balcony, I'd be all over it. It's the upgrade that we all would like prior to the cruise from an NCL rep, but I guess it does seem 'weird' from a stanger at the beginning of cruise.

I like the idea of maybe getting a hold that rooms TA. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Never mind. This cruise is long over. 2011!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums Edited by luvtheships