Hesitating to make reservations?

NoahtheRed

Good morning Cruisers,

My wife-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon for the end of March and are looking to book on the Epic. We've both been on one cruise before (N. Sun last April in the Western Caribbean) and loved it so much that doing it again was an easy choice. Last time however, we went with another couple and they handled the cruise related stuff (We handled flights/hotels/excursions) so I'm sort of doing this for the first time. That said, my question really comes down to this. We're roughly 6 months away from the cruise date and would like to book it sooner rather than later obviously, but we also are the types who will kick ourselves in the pants if we find a better deal later, ya know? So is it wiser to book now, or book closer to the cruise date? We ARE going to be on that boat on March 31st, it's just a matter of whether we press the Go button now....or wait a few weeks/months to try and save some money. Opinions? Experiences? Thoughts?

*Edit*

Snap, didn't even realize this was my first post

Do not wait! It is important that you are on that ship since it will be your honeymoon and you need to sail that week. March and April is a very popular time to cruise due to spring breaks and such. That being said, the ships get booked quickly. My advice would be put the deposit on your cabin now and watch the NCL website for promos and offers. You can switch your reservations up until final payment so you really have nothing to lose. Best Wishes!

Good morning Cruisers,

My wife-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon for the end of March and are looking to book on the Epic. We've both been on one cruise before (N. Sun last April in the Western Caribbean) and loved it so much that doing it again was an easy choice. Last time however, we went with another couple and they handled the cruise related stuff (We handled flights/hotels/excursions) so I'm sort of doing this for the first time. That said, my question really comes down to this. We're roughly 6 months away from the cruise date and would like to book it sooner rather than later obviously, but we also are the types who will kick ourselves in the pants if we find a better deal later, ya know? So is it wiser to book now, or book closer to the cruise date? We ARE going to be on that boat on March 31st, it's just a matter of whether we press the Go button now....or wait a few weeks/months to try and save some money. Opinions? Experiences? Thoughts?

*Edit*

Snap, didn't even realize this was my first post

When booking our upcoming cruise on the Star I have found that prices have risen steadily since we booked it last Jan. We originally started out with a balcony mid-ship for $579pp and these are up over $800pp now. Switched to an aft balcony for around $800pp and there are none of these left now. Switched again to an Aft PH and have been waiting for those to come down in price but as of right now they are the same. I would book now if I were you.

I guess a follow-up question.

We're on the fence between balcony and inside. I happen to like the balcony, but she's indifferent. For this cruise, it's nearly an $800 difference. If we book today with an inside, and decide sometime between now and January whatever that we want to upgrade....how hard is that?

We're on the fence between balcony and inside. I happen to like the balcony, but she's indifferent. For this cruise, it's nearly an $800 difference. If we book today with an inside, and decide sometime between now and January whatever that we want to upgrade....how hard is that?

Upgrades are never a problem, however, the availability issue can be.

You could book your inside then keep watching the prices on the balconies. It was only the aft balconies that went quickly on our upcoming cruise and there are still lots of balconies left (of course we aren't going on the EPIC). I have never cruised in an inside cabin and would probably pay the extra for the balcony.

You could book your inside then keep watching the prices on the balconies. It was only the aft balconies that went quickly on our upcoming cruise and there are still lots of balconies left (of course we aren't going on the EPIC). I have never cruised in an inside cabin and would probably pay the extra for the balcony.

Yeah, this was what I was thinking. We have a mini-suite with a balcony on the Sun and I'd say of the time I spent in the cabin that wasn't spent sleeping, 80% of it was on the balcony. If we took an inside room, I'd probably spend really just sleeping hours in the room and the rest of the time out....which apparently is pretty easy on the Epic.

If you want a balcony, I would book as soon as you can...the Epic has different balcony situations....most are covered and have a clear view.

However, some are not covered and some have life boats sticking out just below them. If you wait, the less-desirable ones may be all that is left.

I have another vaguely related question that I just thought of. We will be getting married the weekend before we leave (March 24th). Right now, obviously all of her paperwork (passport, etc) are in her current last name. Will there be issues since her last name will technically have changed the week before?

Book her for whatever name will still be on her passport/DL...so it will more than likely still be her maiden name. I did this after our wedding for our HM and as long as the reservations and the passport names match you're fine.

Also, the Epic is a great ship we just got back last month from it and we loved every minute of it, have fun!

Book stern balcony stateroom 10318 now while it is available :)

This is stern stateroom next to the "secret stairs". Bed is by the balcony which in my opinion makes the stateroom seem bigger.

The balcony is wider than normal. At our request stateroom attendant brought us a lounger to go with the two chairs and tiny table already on the balcony. We helped him carry it through stateroom (hardest part lol) and tipped him $20. There was still room to walk around on the balcony.

I love the aft view and loved this stateroom. The cutouts in the "secret stairs" landing for a port side view was a bonus.

Well, we're booked!

We're in 11021 for March 31st to the Eastern Caribbean. The email this morning for the halved deposit and $50 credit for balconies was plenty reason. We researched the room and it looks like we made a good choice.

Now comes the brutal 6 month wait. (We both decided we're more excited about the Cruise than the wedding :P)

Well, we're booked!

We're in 11021 for March 31st to the Eastern Caribbean. The email this morning for the halved deposit and $50 credit for balconies was plenty reason. We researched the room and it looks like we made a good choice.

Now comes the brutal 6 month wait. (We both decided we're more excited about the Cruise than the wedding :P)

We had that cabin last February and loved it so much that we have booked it again for this February. Hoping you will love it too; the Epic is an awesome ship, lots to do ...or not :)

We had that cabin last February and loved it so much that we have booked it again for this February. Hoping you will love it too; the Epic is an awesome ship, lots to do ...or not :)

Yeah, we spent this morning trying to figure out what room we wanted. On the Sun, it was really easy because other than a few random situations, most of the rooms are the same just because the ship is largely the same from Bow to stern. The Epic naturally presented a somewhat complicated choice because different decks had different views and such. I ended up using some of the pictures on the one big room thread to figure out where various spots were and finally saw your post in it about 11021, so we jumped on it.

*edit*

We also just realized we are going from one of the smallest ships in the fleet to the biggest. We are really excited about the 2 days at sea on the Epic.

Yes, book now.

Yes, book and do everything with her CURRENT name. Do not change anything until you get back. And, you may be technically married, but the name change is not automatic. After all, some do not change it.

I have always booked with NCL directly, using one of their PCAs ("Personal Cruise Consultant"). When prices dropped, I was able to upgrade, move the cabin, etc. I don't know if its as easy if you book through an independent travel agent. On our Euro cruise, for our 35th anniversary, we booked a balcony cabin. The "upgrade fairy" called and I got a two bedroom suite for a total of $500 extra. It was a very nice thing to have happen; but that happened only because the ship wasn't full, and the cabin I was in was going for less than I bought it for.

Rates tend to rise as you get closer to the sailing date, then spare rooms are sold off cheaply within a week or two of the date. At least that's been my observation. You could risk losing your non-refundable airline fare if you want to wait that long to save a bit on your cruise . . .

But the cabins offered cheaply are often the least desirable ones ... those under a dining room, or nightclub, etc. Prepare to pay what you are willing to pay, and then if rates drop drastically don't despair: it means the ship will be less crowded!

One more tip: we're at an age where we buy trip insurance that includes coverage for medical conditions (your company health plan MAY cover you while on foreign soil, but probably does not if you get sick "on the high seas"). The chances of you and your bride getting sick are probably very small, but if you decide to buy trip insurance, there's one company I use that is recommended by folks like Clark Howard (an online company that I think would be against the CC rules to post). If you buy the insurance within a day or so of booking the cruise, the medical will cover all pre-existing conditions as well as new things that come up.

We discussed it the other night and basically decided that while it may be more expensive, we really only get one real honeymoon....so we're going to enjoy it. I think I had nearly as much fun sitting on the balcony as I did on the excursions or elsewhere on the boat last time.

That said, I'm just happy to have this all taken care of now :)

Archived