MCO to Port Canaveral toll road?

MSunshine

Hoping someone can help with this. I was looking at the terms and conditions for car rentals and was wondering if it is possible to pay toll fare when we get on the road?

The terms and conditions state "Please note: There are toll roads within this area that have converted or will be converting to all-electronic tolling or cashless tolling. In these areas, there is no option for a rental car to stop and pay the tolls in cash.

If your travels will take you on a toll road in an area where there is no option to stop and pay cash for tolls, Pass24 is the perfect solution. If you choose not to select the Pass24 Pre-paid tolling option and do travel on one of these all-electronic toll roads, and do not have your own tolling device in the vehicle, the applicable toll will be paid for you and an administrative fee of $25.00 will be added to each toll utilized."

I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to pay when on the road and should not pre-pay the higher $6.99 fee charged by the rental company because the toll is only $1.25:confused:

the toll road from MCO to PC, State Road 528, has cash lanes at the one toll plaza you will encounter. The cash lanes will be to the RIGHT.

{note there is a second plaza under construction on 528. As I understand things at this time the total toll will remain the same, but be split into two smaller tolls. This is being done because of increased housing construction along 528 and a need to adjust how the fare is collected. {funny cuz there were three tolls years back, and they consolidated to ONE toll for our benefit and removed the extra plazas!}}

As of last October, there were exact change lanes so if you have your $1.25 in quarters (or nickels and dimes I guess:rolleyes:) you can save a minute or two rather than having to wait in what was a longer line for a person to take your bills and make change.

Easy tolls as long as you look for the cash lanes and have $US money. Did in in August and May, no worries with a rental car.

PS not sure when your cruise is so you should check again just prior to departure. There was a new toll booth under construction so things might change.

Hoping someone can help with this. I was looking at the terms and conditions for car rentals and was wondering if it is possible to pay toll fare when we get on the road?

The terms and conditions state "Please note: There are toll roads within this area that have converted or will be converting to all-electronic tolling or cashless tolling. In these areas, there is no option for a rental car to stop and pay the tolls in cash.

If your travels will take you on a toll road in an area where there is no option to stop and pay cash for tolls, Pass24 is the perfect solution. If you choose not to select the Pass24 Pre-paid tolling option and do travel on one of these all-electronic toll roads, and do not have your own tolling device in the vehicle, the applicable toll will be paid for you and an administrative fee of $25.00 will be added to each toll utilized."

I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to pay when on the road and should not pre-pay the higher $6.99 fee charged by the rental company because the toll is only $1.25:confused:

I think you are confused. If I am not mistaken, it's the Florida Turnpike that you can't pay cash. I read it in my Budget car rental agreement, if you are traveling on it, you need to pre purchase an electronic device to use. you shouldn't have any trouble on the beachline, unless they changed it in the last two weeks when my daughter was there.

Barb

I live on a road just off 528 between MCO and the port.

There's just one toll currently that you have to pay, and one under construction.

Only cash or E-Pass (if you are a FL resident and have sunpass that works too) works, no Credit Cards (as you can use CC's in other countries).

I think you are confused. If I am not mistaken, it's the Florida Turnpike that you can't pay cash. I read it in my Budget car rental agreement, if you are traveling on it, you need to pre purchase an electronic device to use. you shouldn't have any trouble on the beachline, unless they changed it in the last two weeks when my daughter was there.

Barb

NOt the case. There are limited EPass/SunPass only exits, but they go into residential areas. There are no tolls on the Turnpike that REQUIRE you to have the transponder that a typical tourist would use.

The Beachline toll barriers are all manned for those without transponders.

see http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

the place causing the confusion is what's commonly called the 'turnpike extension' which serves as the Miami by-pass, beginning near the Dade-Broward line and running west of Miami to reconnect with US-1 where US leaves the mainland to head down the Keys. This portion of the turnpike system has gone totally cashless and uses either Sun-Pass (E-Pass) or a "toll-by-plate" photo system where you get sent a bill for the toll by the state. What the rental companies are doing is charging a large premium for forwarding a toll-by-plate fee to the renter but at this time, that system is not employed in the Orlando area

Beginning Saturday, Feb. 19, all Turnpike tolls are collected electronically between the U.S. 1 (Exit 1) and County Line Road (Exit 47) interchanges in Miami-Dade County, and cash tolls are not accepted. Motorists will use either SunPass or TOLL‑BY‑PLATE, and everyone will enjoy the benefit of paying their toll without having to stop.

Archived