R ships or the newer Marina?Riviera?

Redtravel

I am sure you meant the Regatta ;)

Both the Oceania class ship & the R-class ships have their good & bad features

It is a personal preference as to what one you sail

Yes, and there are more than two ships in the Oceania fleet. :p

I recently have toured the 2 ships of the Oceania fleet

How about Regatta Montreal to NYC early Oct.?

Or come and join us on Nautica - Istanbul to Dubai Nov 15th :)

Good suggestions, Paul. With Mr. Military History still working more than full time and two weddings using some of his 2012 vacation days, the latter, even with the incentive of finally meeting you, is, sadly:(, impossible. How would the waters be for the former trip for a queasy-stomached sailor like me?

How would the waters be for the former trip for a queasy-stomached sailor like me?

We did a Quebec City to NYC and NYC to Montreal from Sept 20 till Oct 12 this year - about the same time you would be cruising.

The weather was great (too good in fact, mostly warmer than usual and thus little Fall colors) and waters were calm.

It may (or may not) be the same next year, but I don't think there should be major weather issues that early in Fall.

However, only G*d knows the answer to that and (s)he is not talking (to me, anyway). :D

We did a Quebec City to NYC and NYC to Montreal from Sept 20 till Oct 12 this year - about the same time you would be cruising.

The weather was great (too good in fact, mostly warmer than usual and thus little Fall colors) and waters were calm.

It may (or may not) be the same next year, but I don't think there should be major weather issues that early in Fall.

However, only G*d knows the answer to that and (s)he is not talking (to me, anyway). :D

You were lucky with the weather

Several years ago a friend was taking his sailboat south for the winter close to the end of Sept ...a hurricane ripped up the eastern seaboard

His sailboat sank in the Hudson river just north of NYC

So you never know about the weather :)

Lyn

Good suggestions, Paul. With Mr. Military History still working more than full time and two weddings using some of his 2012 vacation days, the latter, even with the incentive of finally meeting you, is, sadly:(, impossible. How would the waters be for the former trip for a queasy-stomached sailor like me?

For the first time ever, I went to Azamara's website and looked it over for October cruises, and saw an Azamara Quest itinerary for mid-October that sails from Barcelona to Rome with stops in Palermo, Trapani, Porto Empedocle and Catania (all four in Sicily), Valletta and Salerno (which would be great for Paestum), as well as two days in Sorrento. I only ever have sailed on Oceania. What do you all think?

For the first time ever, I went to Azamara's website and looked it over for October cruises, and saw an Azamara Quest itinerary for mid-October that sails from Barcelona to Rome with stops in Palermo, Trapani, Porto Empedocle and Catania (all four in Sicily), Valletta and Salerno (which would be great for Paestum), as well as two days in Sorrento. I only ever have sailed on Oceania. What do you all think?

I believe that O & A are more alike than different.

Of course, they are not identical and there are differences.

I believe that if you go with an open mind and spend more time enjoying the cruise than comparing the two (and the differences between the two), you will have a great cruise.

I know we enjoyed our only A cruise that we took for the itinerary (and the price, before their increase). I would not hesitate to do it again for the right itinerary and price. In fact, we did book a B2B with several Libya stops, before the civil war - needless to say that we cancelled since.

After much studying, posting and questioning I booked an Azamara cruise with an itinerary I love for August 2013. I think the experience is going to be very much like O -- pluses on one side, minuses on the other --

If you are a slave to one cruise line you will only go where they decide to go -- not where you want to go.

I say "go for it."

Have to wade into this discussion of Marina vs R ships since we just got off Marina. We had sailed on the Nautica a few years ago and really wanted to see what Oceania had done with the "new" ship. Got to say it WOW'ed us!!! The rooms are considerably larger and feel it the minute you walk in. Absolutely fell in love with the bed. Was told that Oceania has put these beds on all their ships so now I don't have to chose which ship! But it was the food that had us loving Marina! Knew it would be great from our 35 days on Nautica but it was even better. Now I'm no gourmand but I don't think I heard a single complaint about the food the whole trip. On every other cruise we have been on (we are over 20 cruises on many of the lines out there) someone has complained about the food. And yes the main dining room and all the alternatives are, I'm sure, wonderful but the Terrace Cafe knocked out socks off with it's huge selection and great service. In 12 days on the Marina we only went to Red Ginger once and the rest of the time ate in the Terrace. For dinner being able to get filet mignon, lobster, tiger prawns, salmon, lamb chops, etc cooked fresh in front of your eyes meant we didn't have to venture anywhere else.

Since it's always that itinerary that drives our booking, I'll be watching to find that perfect itin on any of Oceania's ship but will certainly jump at any chance to go back onboard Marina!!

Have to wade into this discussion of Marina vs R ships since we just got off Marina. We had sailed on the Nautica a few years ago and really wanted to see what Oceania had done with the "new" ship. Got to say it WOW'ed us!!! The rooms are considerably larger and feel it the minute you walk in. Absolutely fell in love with the bed. Was told that Oceania has put these beds on all their ships so now I don't have to chose which ship! But it was the food that had us loving Marina! Knew it would be great from our 35 days on Nautica but it was even better. Now I'm no gourmand but I don't think I heard a single complaint about the food the whole trip. On every other cruise we have been on (we are over 20 cruises on many of the lines out there) someone has complained about the food. And yes the main dining room and all the alternatives are, I'm sure, wonderful but the Terrace Cafe knocked out socks off with it's huge selection and great service. In 12 days on the Marina we only went to Red Ginger once and the rest of the time ate in the Terrace. For dinner being able to get filet mignon, lobster, tiger prawns, salmon, lamb chops, etc cooked fresh in front of your eyes meant we didn't have to venture anywhere else.

Since it's always that itinerary that drives our booking, I'll be watching to find that perfect itin on any of Oceania's ship but will certainly jump at any chance to go back onboard Marina!!

I totally agree with you about the food on Marina - the best at sea.

However, I disagree with this statement:

"The rooms are considerably larger and feel it the minute you walk in."

I believe it is a perception due to the great interior design.

They are beautiful, but not bigger (if so, very, very marginally so). Most of the sq. footage increase is in the bathroom and of that most is in the tub.

I believe we need meow to show us just exactly how much larger these balcony cabins on the Marina are (not counting BR + balcony)

Granted, the cabins and bathrooms are beautiful - dark wood, marble, etc (as they should be on a brand new design and a new ship).

Many here, myself included, have taken exception to the placement of the closet, the ridiculous/useless drawers in the desk and storage space in general. I know for a fact (from many cruises on the R ships and 3 on the Marina) that the "usable" storage space on the Marina balc. cabins is less. I have never before had to place the life jackets into the tub, just to be able to store our "stuff", as we had to on the Marina.

This is my opinion and others are entitled to theirs.

I believe we need meow to show us just exactly how much larger these balcony cabins on the Marina are (not counting BR + balcony)
Thank you kindly for the compliment which we really appreciate. But unfortunately, we don't have the means to do so .. meow!

For comparisons between Azamara and Oceania R ships, you are welcome to read our fairly recent report http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1482473 especially posting #27

Thanks so much for posting this link to your recent Azamara cruise review. I just read through it all, and it is very helpful in distinguishing Azamara from Oceania, the only cruise line on which I so far have cruised.

I believe that O & A are more alike than different.

Of course, they are not identical and there are differences.

I believe that if you go with an open mind and spend more time enjoying the cruise than comparing the two (and the differences between the two), you will have a great cruise.

I know we enjoyed our only A cruise that we took for the itinerary (and the price, before their increase). I would not hesitate to do it again for the right itinerary and price. In fact, we did book a B2B with several Libya stops, before the civil war - needless to say that we cancelled since.

Thanks for the advice, on target as usual, Paul.

After much studying, posting and questioning I booked an Azamara cruise with an itinerary I love for August 2013. I think the experience is going to be very much like O -- pluses on one side, minuses on the other --

If you are a slave to one cruise line you will only go where they decide to go -- not where you want to go.

I say "go for it."

Hi, Laraine, thanks for the perspective. You second paragraph particularly resonates for me; you supply exactly the type of input I am seeking. My husband (very interested in classical history) really would love an itinerary that covers as much Sicily as possible, as well as a return to fascinating Malta, where we only have spent one day so far in Valletta. The October Azamara itinerary looks good to us. He simply is worried about the weather because he hates rainy days and the cruise is not until mid-October. Our one May cruise (in 2010) had some bad weather so he prefers June or September, which in 2012 happen to be the two months our two children are getting married, so if I want to cruise in 2012, October really is the only possibility.

Thanks so much for posting this link to your recent Azamara cruise review. I just read through it all, and it is very helpful in distinguishing Azamara from Oceania, the only cruise line on which I so far have cruised.
You are most welcome!

Having sailed on Marina on a very port intensive itinerary (12 nights, no sea days, different port every day) we didn't really get to explore and experience the ship as much as we would have liked. There just wasn't much time for things like cooking classes, wine tastings (though we did make it to one of these), spa treatments, and other features of the ship.

Also, with Marina being larger than the R class ships, it seemed like we had more tender ports than an R class ship may have on a similar itinerary.

Tendering on the Marina is a pain. Twice as many people to get off the ship as the R class ships. We dealt with it by trying to be laid back and not rushing to get off. For those people who feel they have to be on the first tender in the morning and who do not have an Oceania excursion booked, tendering can be stressful.

So my thinking is that for port intensive itineraries, where you're mostly off the ship during the day, I would prefer the R ships hoping they would be able dock more and dock closer to main areas.

For Transatlantic itineraries or Caribbean itineraries where you'll be spending a lot of time on the ship and where the ship is, in part, the destination, Marina would really shine.

So my thinking is that for port intensive itineraries, where you're mostly off the ship during the day, I would prefer the R ships hoping they would be able dock more and dock closer to main areas.

For Transatlantic itineraries or Caribbean itineraries where you'll be spending a lot of time on the ship and where the ship is, in part, the destination, Marina would really shine.

I agree with your statement.

In addition, on these cruises, the fares are generally lower and thus (for us) the PH is more within reach.The PH makes a huge difference - especially if you have several sea days.

You can also dine in your suite from the specialty restaurants, if you wish or cannot get as many extra reservations as you would like (otherwise I prefer to dine in the restaurant itself).

I agree with your statement.

In addition, on these cruises, the fares are generally lower and thus (for us) the PH is more within reach.The PH makes a huge difference - especially if you have several sea days.

You can also dine in your suite from the specialty restaurants, if you wish or cannot get as many extra reservations as you would like (otherwise I prefer to dine in the restaurant itself).

I so agree, Paul

Which is why we booked a PH on our upcoming TA on the Marina. I consider it a bargain and I so looking forward to it!

When the cruise is port intensive I don't even bother with a balcony! Waste of money IMO.

I so agree, Paul

Which is why we booked a PH on our upcoming TA on the Marina. I consider it a bargain and I so looking forward to it!

When the cruise is port intensive I don't even bother with a balcony! Waste of money IMO.

We did the same thing for the Marina Santiago - Papeete - 10 sea days!

There was a time when I wanted no sea days - give me a port every day. Then I got older.....:)

[quote name=

There was a time when I wanted no sea days - give me a port every day. Then I got older.....:)[/quote]

LOL. I am right there with you. In fact, some of O's itineraries do not appeal to me because of the lack of sea days -- even if I love the ports in the itinerary. We cruised the Baltics this past August on Celebrity rather than O for that reason. Celebrity had 4 sea days. O had none. St. Petersburg was so exhausting (as were a few of the other ports) that I do not know how I could have managed without those restful sea days.

On the other hand, friends I sometimes cruise with are not interested in a cruise that has sea days.

My ideal scenario would be 2 or max 3 port days followed by a sea day. I even like 2 sea days strung together. I am skilled in the art of doing nothing.

We are booked on that Azamara cruise because of the ports of call in Sicily.The cruise was originally going to go to Libya but for obvious reasons had to change ports of calls so I dont think there will be another cruise so port intensive in Sicily.We are very interested in the amazing history of Sicily so this was a must cruise for us. We have sailed Nautica & Azamara Quest there are pros & cons for both and often it comes down to personal taste etc.Nautica is a nicer ship decor wise & has the great advantage of fabulous afternoon teas & no photographers, whilst Quest has a great coffee shop, better night time treats ,fruit in the cabin ,free wine at lunch & dinner & is very good value. I would say book the cruise.

Archived