Need some advice from locals.....

We are coming "Down Under" to sail on Oceania's Regatta March 8 from Auckland to Sydney. The last leg of this cruise comes down the East coast from Cairns, so we have that bit covered pretty well.

Since this may be our only trip to Australia, we are staying a week post cruise. Originally this was to be all in Sydney. Then I went spelunking and read about the Great Ocean Road and the Penguin Parade near Melbourne. I have requested an air deviation to fly home from Melbourne, but no response yet. DH came home last night and has spoken with someone at work who lived in Australia for 6 months while doing a post doc and he suggested we not bother with going to Melbourne, but spend some time on the coast just North of Sydney.

So, my question to you all is this: What do you think we should do? I realize we can never see all of Sydney in a week, but am keen to fit in the best bits, just in case this is our only kick at the can. And that stretch of road sounds mighty enticing.........

Mo

We are coming "Down Under" to sail on Oceania's Regatta March 8 from Auckland to Sydney. The last leg of this cruise comes down the East coast from Cairns, so we have that bit covered pretty well.

Since this may be our only trip to Australia, we are staying a week post cruise. Originally this was to be all in Sydney. Then I went spelunking and read about the Great Ocean Road and the Penguin Parade near Melbourne. I have requested an air deviation to fly home from Melbourne, but no response yet. DH came home last night and has spoken with someone at work who lived in Australia for 6 months while doing a post doc and he suggested we not bother with going to Melbourne, but spend some time on the coast just North of Sydney.

So, my question to you all is this: What do you think we should do? I realize we can never see all of Sydney in a week, but am keen to fit in the best bits, just in case this is our only kick at the can. And that stretch of road sounds mighty enticing.........

Mo

If you get your air deviation to fly home from Melbourne, my suggestion would be to hire a car and drive down the coastal route of New South Wales and Victoria to Melbourne.

You will discover the essence of unspoilt coastal Australia on that scenic route, with many picturesque beaches, beautiful small national parks, kangaroos on the beach/towns, colourful tropical birds and lots of wildlife.

This is the offical NSW Government website. You just click on each region to see its attractions.

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast

Hi,

Another suggestion, although MM Downunders is great too. We live on the Central Coast just north of Sydney, beautiful spot, lovely beaches like Terrigal, etc, but we also enjoy Melbourne.

I guess it really depends on the time of year. Melbourne to us is far better during the summer months. So, if you are coming downunder during this time, my idea would be.....spend two days in Sydney. Come up to the Central Coast, spend two days here, then catch early shuttle bus to airport in Sydney, fly to Melbourne and spend two days there doing the Ocean Rd on day one, Philip Island and city, time permitting, on day two.

The northern coast of NSW is nice too, but this would take up your whole week.

My scenario would be a busy one, but getting to see just that bit more in such a short time.

Jen

As you hae a limited time (don't we all when we travel?) I suggest a day or two in Sydney would let you see the highlights.

If you can change your flights I think the idea of the Great Ocean Road is great - it is beautiful. You can do this in one full day from Melbourne. Melbourne is a lovely city and I suggest you allocate a day to look around. The little penguins are lovely, but of course this varies with the seasons. The time you will be here is not the time with the maximum number of birds coming ashore.

Briefly:

November to January are the best months with the adult birds needing to go to sea every day to get fish to feed their young.

In February the chicks leave and the adult birds start their two-week moult so the number of birds going to sea every day is less.

June & July are the season of nest building with only one-quarter of the number of birds coming ashore every evening that there are at peak season.

What ever you decide you will find yourself wanting more time, but that is a good thing imagine if you found yourself thinking 3 more days .. . .

If you get to Melbourne Great! if you stick around Sydney Great! You really can't lose. I would like to recommend the drive as well but driving the Great Ocean Road would be better if you only have a limited amount of time and the penguins at philip island are fantastic.

Can't get there, Blue Mountains are calling, Hunter Valley for wine, etc

Of course, I think you should come to Brisbane, since that's my hometown. ;) Or fly to North Queensland and see the Great Barrier Reef. But it all depends upon what sort of things you like.

I lived in Sydney for 7 years, and my favourite "Sydney" thing to do was to catch the Manly ferry from Circular Quay, then buy fish and chips at Manly and take it down to eat it on the surfing beach. That's a very Aussie kind of thing to do. (not expensive, either!) It gives you a good perspective on the harbour - much closer to the water than on your ship - and if you go on the outside decks you can watch the seagulls surfing the slipstream and the sailing boats going by. From memory the ferry is an hour each way, but Sydneysiders can correct me. (I don't like the JetCat - you're stuck inside on it)

There are also some lovely bushwalks around the edges of the harbour, if you like that sort of thing.

But I'm sure you'll have a lovely time whatever you do! Welcome to our beautiful country! :)

The Great Ocean Road really is spectacular. However, the suggestion to drive from Syd to Melb is great because you will see LOTS of beautiful coastal areas. I can understand if driving isn't your thing though. To be honest, if I only had a week, I'd probably just stay in Sydney and see the best that Sydney has to offer. Maybe the Blue Mountains, Bondi beach, the city (including Circular Quay, Opera House, Harbour Bridge etc), then maybe a drive south. There are lots of wonderful places to visit either IN Sydney or a short drive (or train trip) out.

Naturally I'm biased but if you want the best shopping, eating and culture then Melbourne can't be beaten. If you want "wow" factor scenary then Sydney wins.

As for the penguins, they are a good 2+ hour drive from Melbourne and to be honest I'm not sure what the fuss is about. They are penguins, not unicorns. I'd rather go and see kangaroos or koalas, especially if time is tight.

I'd also argue against going to Phillip Island for the penguins. You are kept so far away from them that they are difficult to see. We have a family holiday house down there, and in the 4 years we've had it, haven't bothered to go to the penguins, even though we have young kids.

There is a penguin colony in St Kilda, which is one of the beach side suburbs of Melbourne. It would be worth checking that out. We've been there during the day, and there is a boardwalk through the colony. You can see where they nest in the rocks, but I'm not sure how close you can get in the evening when they are coming in. Someone else may know more. St Kilda is on the tram line from the city, and there are lots of restaurants and cafes. You could make a very nice evening of it. Phillip Island is a good 2 hour drive from the city, so you would probably have to stay overnight, or go on one of the overpriced tours! I know which one I'd choose!

Some info I've just found, thanks to Google!

http://www.weekendnotes.com/st-kilda-pier-little-penguin-colony/

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/touchyfeely-fans-threaten-st-kildas-penguin-parade-20110507-1edjp.html

http://stkildapenguins.com.au/

First of all I want to apologize for not posting a response. Whenever I came here, my internet went out!

Thanks for all the great info.

My daughter brought home a new boyfriend for Thanksgiving, and he has swayed our decision. He was born in New Zealand, grew up in Australia and studied in Tasmania. We talked him to death, and have decided to go early and spend 11 days in New Zealand prior and 3 days in Sydney after. This is pending flight info which we should receive today-the flights we could have had home from Melbourne were perfect in every way, so here's hoping for similar flights into Auckland and home from Sydney. Hopefully we will return and do Tasmania, and more of Australia at another time.

So now we have to figure out how to see the highlights of NZ. Not going to be easy. I think we may have to drive one way and fly the other. That makes luggage an issue, as we likely will be more than allowed for a domestic flight given that we need to have clothing for cooler weather to tropical.

So, any suggestions for what to see in NZ?

I think the three days in Sydney will be easy to fill. One day will definitely be a trip to the Blue Mountains. I am a bit of a foodie so there will be lots of eating happening in Sydney! Also want to do the Bridge Climb. There, 3 days are full.

Thanks,

Mo

That's very exciting to hear, Mo! My husband is a kiwi and we live in Sydney but spend a fair bit of time in nz. Do you know whether you'll have time to see both the north and the south island? You did mention Auckland (I assume you're flying into there) but honestly te south island is the more spectacular - I think even most kiwis would agree on this!

Having said that, there's so much to see on both islands and nz is wonderful in that you dont have to drive very far to see some beautiful and dramatic scenery.

The must-sees (in my humble opinion!):

Glaciers (either Fox or Franz Josef)

Sounds (Milford or Doubtful or really any of them)

Whales and dolphins

Dramatic seascapes

Rolling green hills with lots of sheep :)

I think the three days in Sydney will be easy to fill. One day will definitely be a trip to the Blue Mountains. I am a bit of a foodie so there will be lots of eating happening in Sydney! Also want to do the Bridge Climb. There, 3 days are full.

You sound as if you are on the right path. No matter how much time you had, it still wouldn't be enough!! Sydney offers some wonderful food, and the Blue Mountains are beautiful. You will find some lovely cafes offering terrific food and friendly, country hospitality. Enjoy the bridge climb.

You will love New Zealand. It is a beautiful country. There is never enough time. The food and scenery are also spectacular!

Speaking of food, you will be spoilt on Regatta. We love Oceania and especially her food. Both the Italian and Steak/Seafood restaurants are a must to visit. Be prepared to do many miles around the deck to walk off the excellent food!!

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Nicki

Archived