can we walk to the sheraton??

zzczopfamily

You can catch Jitney #10 by the straw market; it costs around $2.00 bucks per person.

I think they had to relocate the straw market after Irene.

We were 1 of the first 3 ships into Nassau after Irene and the straw market was destroyed.

It would be best to ask about jitney #10 at the port.

No, you will need to take the public bus or cab. The Hilton or Junkanoo beach is in walking distance.:)

OP - I too would recommend the Hilton. We went there on our last stop in Nassua on the Dream. It's an easy - close - walk from the dock and you get the day pass for $50.00 - but then you get coupons for $30.00 in food and drink.

The beach is clean, quiet and well maintained. They provide chairs, umbrellas, towels and nice restroom facilities. They also have some "water toys" - tubes, kayaks, snorkle masks and fins, etc - which are also included.

We would do it again - no question!

We just came back from our first trip to Nassau. We had planned to go to the Sheraton but after about 15 minutes off the boat, decided not to spend a lot of time in port, so we opted to walk through the Straw Market and then went to Junkanoo Beach. If I had that day to do over again, I would have skipped the Straw Market and walked right down to the Hilton. Junkanoo Beach was not very clean and lots of glass in the sand. We were told they had an area to shower off before coming back to the ship. As we approached the bathroom/showers, we were told by the locals hanging out there that the showers did not work but offered to let us clean up with their bucket of water. Needless to say, we put clothes on over our wet bathing suits and walked back to the ship. About every 15 minutes, we had someone coming by to offer to braid our girls hair or sell us some trinkets. Pay the money and head to one of the hotels for a day pass. I know some people like Nassau, but that was my least favorite port....bar none!

We just came back from our first trip to Nassau. We had planned to go to the Sheraton but after about 15 minutes off the boat' date=' decided not to spend a lot of time in port, so we opted to walk through the Straw Market and then went to Junkanoo Beach. If I had that day to do over again, I would have skipped the Straw Market and walked right down to the Hilton. Junkanoo Beach was not very clean and lots of glass in the sand. We were told they had an area to shower off before coming back to the ship. As we approached the bathroom/showers, we were told by the locals hanging out there that the showers did not work but offered to let us clean up with their bucket of water. Needless to say, we put clothes on over our wet bathing suits and walked back to the ship. About every 15 minutes, we had someone coming by to offer to braid our girls hair or sell us some trinkets. Pay the money and head to one of the hotels for a day pass. I know some people like Nassau, but that was my least favorite port....bar none![/quote']

teddy'sgirl, give Nassau another chance. I think that you would feel differently about it if you would have gone to the Hilton (I did this in June and am going there again in 3 weeks), or if you would have gone to the Sheraton. The Cable Beach area is beautiful and I've also done it a few times, as well as Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island. I now opt for the Hilton, as it's less hassle and I love the hotel. The $55 price ( I don't like to buy ahead in case of bad weather ) is not bad at all, considering you get $30 in credit for food/bar. The servings are huge and the drinks are delicious, the bartenders were fun. Area is clean. And, on the way back to the ship, you can stop along all the stores and shop. Also, across the street from the Hilton is a little place with free wifi. Give Nassau a second chance--don't stay on the ship in that port.

teddy'sgirl, give Nassau another chance. I think that you would feel differently about it if you would have gone to the Hilton (I did this in June and am going there again in 3 weeks), or if you would have gone to the Sheraton. The Cable Beach area is beautiful and I've also done it a few times, as well as Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island. I now opt for the Hilton, as it's less hassle and I love the hotel. The $55 price ( I don't like to buy ahead in case of bad weather ) is not bad at all, considering you get $30 in credit for food/bar. The servings are huge and the drinks are delicious, the bartenders were fun. Area is clean. And, on the way back to the ship, you can stop along all the stores and shop. Also, across the street from the Hilton is a little place with free wifi. Give Nassau a second chance--don't stay on the ship in that port.

I'll second getting away from the immediate port area! I don't judge Miami by the homeless across the streets from the Heats' Arena, and I don't judge NY by 12th Avenue. Cable Beach is beautiful, I've spent several weeks of land vacations there. Paradise Beach is another great stretch of sand, and it extends beyond Atlantis. There are plenty of tiny isles and cays, great for sunning, swimming, snorkeling and fishing within a short boat, cab or bus ride away. Have a grouper burger with pigeon peas and a conch salad. Enjoy!

I think the thing that bothered me the most was watching a security guard in the immediate port area. We were walking behind 2 very "well developed" young women. They were approached by every tour operator and taxi driver they walked past. Each making it very obvious they were looking them over! Then the security guard was walking toward them and he too, gave them both a very long look over. He even turned his head around and continued watching them, to the point he almost ran over us! :eek: It just made me feel uncomfortable to think this security guard was supposed to be protecting visitors! The Straw Market vendors were pushy but took a "no thank you" very well and left us alone after that. We did have one incident of a young child in the Straw Market trying to put jewlery on us as we said "no thank you" but a second firm "no thank you" stopped that. The security guard incident and the Straw Market just make us feel uncomfortable. I think Junkanoo Beach was a bad decision and I did not feel comfortable there as well. We did go in and inquire about the day pass at the Hilton but after what we encountered at the port and our port times (12n to 10P), we decided not to spend a lot of money on a beach day as we planned on being back on ship before dark and most beaches close between 5 and 6pm. I guess it helps to mention here that we were with our 3 children so the Hilton would have cost us almost $200. This was at 2pm, so we decided it was not worth it for 3 hours. Knowing all of this now, we would have come off the boat and gone straight to the Hilton and stayed until 5pm. We had a really hard time finding the stop for the jitney and asked about cab fares as well. These seemed to vary from cab driver to cab driver. With that said, I alloted only so much money for our stop in Nassau. With the variance in cab fares, I just wasn't comfortable cutting my funds that close. It was just a rocky first experience for us and things did not work out like we had planned.

Well, teddy'sgirl, next trip to Nassau you will be better prepared. I've not been to Junkanoo Beach, but from what you're saying, doesn't sound like the best option. I've not taken the jitney to Cable Beach, only taxis. Just go onto the Bahamas board on cc before your next cruise and you can get all the info you need to plan for that port stop. I agree 2:00 pm would be way too late to enjoy the Hilton. Next time, go before lunch and enjoy the day--when you are at the Hilton, they do have some beach toys and rafts, etc. for the kids to play with and a swimming pool with loungers right near the covered bar area. That's where they take your food/drink order (or they'll come to the beach area to wait on you). When you are at the Hilton, it's so private and clean and quiet. Nassau is a beautiful island with gorgeous ocean. I actually think Cable Beach is my favorite area of Nassau, but we have been traveling lately with our 2 college aged kids and their 2 friends. It's easier to do the Hilton and I know how much my bill will be. We actually never have spent the entire $30/person, as the food portions are big. We enjoy our drinks, too, but still have credit left, so we use that up by getting the liter sized waters to take back onboard with us.

Well, teddy'sgirl, next trip to Nassau you will be better prepared. I've not been to Junkanoo Beach, but from what you're saying, doesn't sound like the best option. I've not taken the jitney to Cable Beach, only taxis. Just go onto the Bahamas board on cc before your next cruise and you can get all the info you need to plan for that port stop. I agree 2:00 pm would be way too late to enjoy the Hilton. Next time, go before lunch and enjoy the day--when you are at the Hilton, they do have some beach toys and rafts, etc. for the kids to play with and a swimming pool with loungers right near the covered bar area. That's where they take your food/drink order (or they'll come to the beach area to wait on you). When you are at the Hilton, it's so private and clean and quiet. Nassau is a beautiful island with gorgeous ocean. I actually think Cable Beach is my favorite area of Nassau, but we have been traveling lately with our 2 college aged kids and their 2 friends. It's easier to do the Hilton and I know how much my bill will be. We actually never have spent the entire $30/person, as the food portions are big. We enjoy our drinks, too, but still have credit left, so we use that up by getting the liter sized waters to take back onboard with us.

Archived