FBI Investigating Dead Newborn Found on Carnival Cruise Ship

LauraS

Why not? It'd be thoroughly cleaned by the time you got in it. You spend most of your life walking in the footsteps of tragedy and don't even know it.

Good point. And apart from everything else that's been said, I also would feel for the crew member who made the discovery.

Heather

The sad part is the dead baby who may be alive now if this 20 yr old would have gotten help. Sorry to say that I do not belive this "she did not she was pregnant" crap unless she lived in a cave!! I am a mom too and would do anything for my child. Sorry but the truth that someone was really stupid here and does not deserve to be a mother!

The sad part is the dead baby who may be alive now if this 20 yr old would have gotten help. Sorry to say that I do not belive this "she did not she was pregnant" crap unless she lived in a cave!! I am a mom too and would do anything for my child. Sorry but the truth that someone was really stupid here and does not deserve to be a mother!

This and all the other posts here are just conjecture and speculation. We know absolutely nothing more than a new born was found dead on board the ship and once docked in St Maartin, authorities were notified. The news reports have been full of errors, from listing Miami as the port of departure and putting St Maartin in the Virgin Islands. Nothing was mentioned in any report about roomies, state of passenger when she embarked, use of ship med facilities, reasons the FBI were called in, etc..

We need to accept here that this was a tragic incident and there's nothing our speculation can do to rectify it. Let's offer condolences to the family of those involved and go on with our lives.

It will fall under maritime law if a crime was committed and whatever country the ship is registered under (for carnival that's usually Panama or the Bahamas) has jurisdiction.

Unless it involves US Citizens (which it does), at which point the FBI usually gets involved (as it is now). Also, the Panamanian and Bahamian authorities can ask the FBI to get involved.

:eek:That article says the baby was born sometime between Miami .. I think they may mean either Port Canaveral or Nassau .. and St Thomas ...

That is a 4 day window.

Regardless That poor thing was under the bed for quite some time before being found.

That in my opinion is SICK and WRONG!

There is NO EXCUSE for that cruelty.

Ok sure she did not know she was preggers but Hello she could have at least called medical.

Perhaps she was just selfish and did not want her cruise ruined.

SICK SICK SICK

I totally agree!!

She claims she didnt know she was pregnant, and was "surprised" by the birth, but at 20 years old CERTAINLY she knew that throwing a newborn baby under the bed, in the closet wherever she tossed it was WRONG. As someone else stated babies dont always breathe or cry on their own, but that doesnt mean they are stillborn, she may have thought this, but isnt it maternal, or even human instinct to try to save a life, especially your OWN child, call for medical help, call for some sort of help? Ill wait for all the facts of course, but it doesnt look good so far.

I totally agree!!

She claims she didnt know she was pregnant, and was "surprised" by the birth, but at 20 years old CERTAINLY she knew that throwing a newborn baby under the bed, in the closet wherever she tossed it was WRONG. As someone else stated babies dont always breathe or cry on their own, but that doesnt mean they are stillborn, she may have thought this, but isnt it maternal, or even human instinct to try to save a life, especially your OWN child, call for medical help, call for some sort of help? Ill wait for all the facts of course, but it doesnt look good so far.

No, it does not look good so far. As for the "own child" thing, it's possible she went into a dissociative state, or had been in a dissociative state for the past five or so months. It happens. Granted, not to as many as women as who claim it. But it *does* happen.

Why not? It'd be thoroughly cleaned by the time you got in it. You spend most of your life walking in the footsteps of tragedy and don't even know it.

I understand some people would be fine with this. The room would obviously be cleaned, and there wouldn't be any sort of cleanliness issues, but more the psychological aspect. I wouldn't lay over the grave of someone deceased, and while the baby isn't buried under the floor of the cabin, to me the same concept applies.

I understand some people would be fine with this. The room would obviously be cleaned, and there wouldn't be any sort of cleanliness issues, but more the psychological aspect. I wouldn't lay over the grave of someone deceased, and while the baby isn't buried under the floor of the cabin, to me the same concept applies.

You do realize that it's very hard to find any ground in this world that hasn't seen death. Chances are someone has died on your property if not in your home. You probably drive over the death sites of dozens of people a day. You've most likely also stayed in a hotel room where someone died. Or, in my case, you use a public bathroom where some woman has done the same thing.

Sometimes, you're better off just not thinking about it. ;)

You do realize that it's very hard to find any ground in this world that hasn't seen death. Chances are someone has died on your property if not in your home. You probably drive over the death sites of dozens of people a day. You've most likely also stayed in a hotel room where someone died. Or, in my case, you use a public bathroom where some woman has done the same thing.

Sometimes, you're better off just not thinking about it. ;)

but i think the difference here is "knowing" and "not knowing"

you don't normally think about death place if you don't know any happened at that spot/place.

we know this happened at this specific cabin.

It's very morbid of me to say so, I know... but it seems like if you were going to "plan" this sort of thing, going on a cruise might be just the ticket. You could wait til dark, and toss the evidence overboard, and maybe that's what she planned to do, before the room steward found the evidence. Seems to me that if you could get as far as tossing it overboard, you'd be very unlikely to ever get busted.

Since you can't predict when you'll be going into labor, of course, this theory would promote the idea that she waited til the cruise set sail and aborted herself on purpose. (It's so cold-blooded that I really hope it's not the case.)

It's very morbid of me to say so, I know... but it seems like if you were going to "plan" this sort of thing, going on a cruise might be just the ticket. You could wait til dark, and toss the evidence overboard, and maybe that's what she planned to do, before the room steward found the evidence. Seems to me that if you could get as far as tossing it overboard, you'd be very unlikely to ever get busted.

well, apparently, she never watched macmillan and wife.

Really, does anyone know the cabin #?

I know I may have stayed in a place where something bad happened but if I don't know it, it won't bother me. If I know,I will avoid that cabin. I know that is silly and I have been in a couple of rooms when people died but the thought of that baby once being under the bed dead would really bother me. That's just me.

I know I may have stayed in a place where something bad happened but if I don't know it, it won't bother me. If I know,I will avoid that cabin. I know that is silly and I have been in a couple of rooms when people died but the thought of that baby once being under the bed dead would really bother me. That's just me.

But isn't the point the you don't know? Why are you trying so hard to find out? Let it be.

And folks- we don't even know if this was any where near a full term baby. For all that I have seen it could have been a 5th month fetus aborted spontaneously. I am not saying she did the right thing, but many here are acting as if they know that this was a full term child murdered or abandoned and left to die.

But isn't the point the you don't know? Why are you trying so hard to find out? Let it be.

And folks- we don't even know if this was any where near a full term baby. For all that I have seen it could have been a 5th month fetus aborted spontaneously. I am not saying she did the right thing, but many here are acting as if they know that this was a full term child murdered or abandoned and left to die.

There are (or at least were) so many threads going on this sad topic. And several articles. I thought I read in one of the articles the baby was full term.

edited to add: here is a link that refers to full term infant http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myfoxorlando.com%2Fdpp%2Fnews%2Flocal%2F101511_Infant_found_dead_on_cruise_ship&rct=j&q=carnival%20dream%20full%20term%20infant%20or%20fetus&ei=39GcTtaKGK39iQL4-4zlCQ&usg=AFQjCNFDnIpWQD7aKMUZihqWMxE8bsR--Q&cad=rja

There are (or at least were) so many threads going on this sad topic. And several articles. I thought I read in one of the articles the baby was full term.

I just scanned a dozen different sources and they all said nothing- new born child but I saw no indication that they were saying anything about the circumstances. It is possible that it this information has been released, but I certainly didn't find it. In fact there really is very little being said other than 20 year old mother and dead "newborn" (which could mean anything- I think it is being used to mean not a child carried onto the ship) being investigated. Since the mother is not reported as being in custody, I suspect that the story is a lot less "juicy" than what people are speculating about.

5Waldos - I added a link that did mention the term of infant in first sentence.

It's Fox news, so depending on your point of view the information may be suspect right there.

Even Fox seems to have dropped that characterization by today however. All of the reports seem pretty much to be from one source with very limited info.

It's not silly and many-many people, who don't speak up, may also feel somewhat uneasy about sleeping in a cabin where an innocent newborn died and was left on the floor like garbage.

So once again does anyone know the cabin number?

It's not silly and many-many people, who don't speak up, may also feel somewhat uneasy about sleeping in a cabin where an innocent newborn died and was left on the floor like garbage.

So once again does anyone know the cabin number?

That has not been released, and I would suspect that if Carnival has it's way- it never will be.

A little more info tonight...

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/10/carnival-cruise-ship-dead-baby/554474/1

And, my two cents... I don't care WHO you are or WHAT the circumstances.. ...expected or not....dead or alive... a baby does NOT belong stuffed under a bed while you are off the ship enjoying an island. As a former judge I know used to say...something doesn't smell right!

Also...

The Today Show reported that Carnival’s head cruise director wrote a statement saying that the stewardess who discovered the baby should be in our thoughts. “Carnival is providing her with all the care and help she needs,” he wrote. “In my 25 years at sea it is one of the saddest situations I have ever heard.”

Thanks for the link- not much new other than some unknown person is saying that the mother claims she didn't know she was pregnant. Other than that- nothing new.

And I don't think anyone is suggesting that putting the baby under the bed was good.

In my 25 years at sea it is one of the saddest situations I have ever heard.

Bad things happen on cruise ships all the time. People go overboard, people are killed or raped- this is sad, yes. Perhaps worse than sad, depending on what the situation is.

Not to get too off topic~ but to all that are creeped out by that cabin nowit could be worse. My mother had to go to a rehab center after knee replacement and ended up in the same room in the same bed spot as our good family friend had died in. She asked for a new room and they said they were full. She asked for a new bed. It took a few days and my sister and I getting pretty nasty and she finally got that. She wanted to go to this rehab center because she felt like she knew the staff from visiting our friend there so much. She has no plans of going there again and has a new center lined up just in case.

Why not? Would you like to stay in that cabin?

As long as they cleaned the cabin, sure. Why not? I'm reasonably sure that staying in the cabin at a later date will neither result in getting me pregnant (whether I know it or not) nor having a surprise baby.

Archived