New Latitudes Program to Launch

avalanche2

Personally, I would like to see a program structured like Celebrity's Captains Club. You get one point for any cruise, an additional point if your cruise 12 days or longer, and an additional point if you book their higher end cabins...Concierge Class, Aqua Class or suites.

It is pretty easy to make Elite in Celebriy's program, maybe too easy. Concierge class is not generally much more money or much more space than a regular balcony, but it earns an extra point, so points can add up quickly. Ask me how I know....

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, and Royal changed in Jan 2011 from points (similar to X) to cruise days with double days for suites. I wll not be surprised if Celebrity instates changes similar to Royals. OTOH, I will be surprised if, upon watching the competitors, NCL changes Latitudes to mirror X's captains club.

I hope they offer extra points for suites, and I hope they add some type of bonus for longer cruises. Sometimes 1-2 night cruises to nowhere are expensive, but they must not be huge money makers after all costs are subtracted. If they were, we would see tons of 1-2 night CTN offered, instead of the rare one here and there to fill out a schedule.

Sorry, but it isn't my definition of loyalty...it is NCL's definition. It isn't my opinion; it is their fact.

The Latitudes program is completely fair, because it rewards a person for each time they choose to be a customer....not for what they do once they become a customer.

Spending brings its own reward. Latitudes is a loyalty program, not a spending program. The two concepts have no direct correlation.

Yes, well if it's NCL's definition of loyalty, then NCL is entitled to change it, just as other cruise lines have changed theirs in recent years. NCL's current definition of loyalty is in the Stone Age relative to the practices of most its competitors, as well as loyalty programs in other industries such as airlines.

Again you're imposing your definition of "loyalty program" as excluding spending as if that's etched in stone when other businesses in this industry have updated their programs. Companies that have their corporate feet mired in concrete can only wave goodbye as their competitors leave them behind.

Sorry, but it isn't my definition of loyalty...it is NCL's definition. It isn't my opinion; it is their fact.

The Latitudes program is completely fair, because it rewards a person for each time they choose to be a customer....not for what they do once they become a customer.

Spending brings its own reward. Latitudes is a loyalty program, not a spending program. The two concepts have no direct correlation.

I suppose you can surmise that is NCL's "definition" this month, but if the OP is correct, there might be a different definition next month.I do not feel the program is unfair as is, but there are other fair ways to structure programs.

I am not convinced that a person who books B2B2B2B 3-4-3-4 night Caribbean cruises is four times more loyal than somebody who books a 14 night Caribbean cruise. Either way the cruiser is choosing to spend 14 days on an NCL ship. Both are potentially good customers, and I suspect NCL wants to keep them both.

All the loyalty programs are nice, and I appreciate the perks NCL has chosen to give me. I will admit the perks on X and RCL are more appealing to me, and if all things are equal, DH and I have of late chosen one of the above lines over NCL. NCL was our first cruise line and will always be special to us. I hope any Latitude changes make us select NCL more often.

maybe it will be based on number of days sailed vs number of cruises sailed??

Just a guess :)

Royal changed their program from number of cruises to days sailed. Some folks made out, some didn't. If you ever read RC's boards there was much discussion regarding the change. Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

You guys can debate this all night on how the latitudes loyalty program should or shouldn't be done, but in the end NCL has already decided and will implement it when they are ready to disclose the program to the cruisers.

I doubt the new program will have any affect on how little or how much I cruise with NCL. I cruise with NCL for many other reasons, and appreciate the current perks I do get with the Platinum level and would miss them if they disappeared.

Happy Cruising,

Margaret :)

You guys can debate this all night on how the latitudes loyalty program should or shouldn't be done, but in the end NCL has already decided and will implement it when they are ready to disclose the program to the cruisers.

I doubt the new program will have any affect on how little or how much I cruise with NCL. I cruise with NCL for many other reasons, and appreciate the current perks I do get with the Platinum level and would miss them if they disappeared.

Happy Cruising,

Margaret :)

Well said!

Yes, well if it's NCL's definition of loyalty, then NCL is entitled to change it, just as other cruise lines have changed theirs in recent years. NCL's current definition of loyalty is in the Stone Age relative to the practices of most its competitors, as well as loyalty programs in other industries such as airlines.

Again you're imposing your definition of "loyalty program" as excluding spending as if that's etched in stone when other businesses in this industry have updated their programs. Companies that have their corporate feet mired in concrete can only wave goodbye as their competitors leave them behind.

No matter how many times you claim it...it isn't my definition. Just like the continual examples of accurate, but irrelevant statements you make are going to have.

Also...considering their fish logo and general business model, it doesn't seem like you "get" NCL since you expect them to become "like" their competitors. NCL is anything but a follower in this industry. Besides, if you believed half of what you've stated, you wouldn't be cruising with NCL anyway.

And "if" you were correct, then the example below wouldn't make any sense. Yet, it obviously does.

Number of days does not seem fair.

NCL Dawn Oct 21 7 day = $349 inside cabin

NCL Dawn Oct 28 2 day = $389 inside cabin

Reward for loyalty ???

Totally agree.

$349 for 7 days = 49.86 per day + daily optional spending.

$389 for 2 day = 194.50 oer day + daily optional spending.

One customer brings nearly 4x the income as the other. Which one would you rather attract with a loyalty program?

Number of days does not seem fair.

NCL Dawn Oct 21 7 day = $349 inside cabin

NCL Dawn Oct 28 2 day = $389 inside cabin

Reward for loyalty ???

Since 2 day cruises are rare, they do seem to be not be the optimal basis for an argument about fairness. For that matter, prices for last minute cruises may not be an optimal argument, as last minute prices reflect last minute supply issues not the average passenger fare.

I have a question. When it comes to the latitude levels, when reading NCL's information about them it seems as if you use a cruise reward certificate for your deposit then that cruise doesn't count on increasing your level. Am I reading that correctly? I've only been on one cruise with NCL before but was impressed enough to purchase a cruise reward certificate, I used that for the deposit for our upcoming cruise. We will probably purchase another certificate while onboard again. Obviously it isn't causing me enough of a concern about the levels to stop me from purchasing the certificates. So far we've booked suites and are very pleased with the service. So if we have to trade latitude levels for suite services. Oh well, twist my arm a little harder. :rolleyes:

I have a question. When it comes to the latitude levels, when reading NCL's information about them it seems as if you use a cruise reward certificate for your deposit then that cruise doesn't count on increasing your level. Am I reading that correctly? I've only been on one cruise with NCL before but was impressed enough to purchase a cruise reward certificate, I used that for the deposit for our upcoming cruise. We will probably purchase another certificate while onboard again. Obviously it isn't causing me enough of a concern about the levels to stop me from purchasing the certificates. So far we've booked suites and are very pleased with the service. So if we have to trade latitude levels for suite services. Oh well, twist my arm a little harder. :rolleyes:

The cruise reward has no impact on the cruise affecting your latitude level.

No matter how many times you claim it...it isn't my definition. Just like the continual examples of accurate, but irrelevant statements you make are going to have.

Also...considering their fish logo and general business model, it doesn't seem like you "get" NCL since you expect them to become "like" their competitors. NCL is anything but a follower in this industry. Besides, if you believed half of what you've stated, you wouldn't be cruising with NCL anyway.

And "if" you were correct, then the example below wouldn't make any sense. Yet, it obviously does.

Totally agree.

$349 for 7 days = 49.86 per day + daily optional spending.

$389 for 2 day = 194.50 oer day + daily optional spending.

One customer brings nearly 4x the income as the other. Which one would you rather attract with a loyalty program?

I think I understand NCL's business model pretty well, given that I've cruised with NCL for at least 20 years on something like 17 or 18 cruises, and I can assure you I believe every word of what I wrote.

By the way, I'm glad you see that what I've written is accurate...you just have to do a little more work to understand why it's also relevant.

maybe it will be based on number of days sailed vs number of cruises sailed??

Just a guess :)

That would be great. Several of our NCL cruises have been long ones. If tier level were determined by length of cruises rather than number I think we'd be on 3rd level instead of 2nd.

I agree...we did a B2B but they counted it as 1 cruise, even though it was 2 different cruises hooked together...

Did you book it as 1 cruise or as 2 cruises? When we did our b2b2b we booked separate cruises so got credit for separate cruises.

I find it strange that the Cruise Consultants on the ship fleet would know about a change to the Latitudes program before certain members at NCL's Coporate office would know. :cool: Either way, no matter what the changes are I'll still cruise with Norwegian. I like their brand and their crew.

My mistake, sorry. We were on a 14 day, I knew there was 1 more point for being on that cruise, however, I thought it was after 10 nights not 12+. Wonder if that's changed? Haven't cruised Celebrity in 3 years.

Love NCL Freestyle! :D

It has been 12+ nights since 2003.

Effective 1/1/2003, you get one extra credit for a cruise of 12 nights or more. Effective 1/1/2004, you get one extra credit for booking CC or above.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but I have to disagree with your point here.

That you suggest would reward the customer based on their particular selection and not on the "choice" of NCL for the vacation. A person's choice is rewarded as a part of what they choose, not through Latitudes which rewards customer frequency. Rewarding customers for how much they spend (ie "I booked a suite") or how long they sail only serves to create a class system. :D

I must strenously disagree! RCL has upgraded its loyalty program and it is much fairer than the old way. To think that I receive the same credit for a two week cruise in the best suite versus a 3 day Bahama inside cabin is ludicrious. Call it class warfare if you must, but hopefully NCL has seen the error of its ways and will choose to give greater rewards to those customers who spend huge sums of money on their cruises (it is where their profit is!) :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Evidently on November 20th NCL will launch a long awaited new Latitudes program. Does anyone have any ideas what it may be. The company is being very tight secretive about it

I shall hope it will give double points for suites and add a new level above platnium

Avalanche2, has NCL changed the date?

Archived