Dock at One Pier...... Shop at Another?

sail7seas

Is it walkable from one dock to another? If we are docked or tendered to International Pier, could we walk and shop at another pier? Is it close enough/safe enough walk? Are there any security/immigration reasons why we would only be permitted to shop at the pier where we dock?

For us, if it is about 3/4 to a mile, that would be okay assuming there are sidewalks and it is safe.

Thanks.

The Puerta Maya pier is about a 5 minute walk to your right once you leave the International pier. You can enter the shopping area and shop to your hearts content. Many of the same stores as in downtown. Los Conco Soles and Pancho's Backyard for example. I fyou want to shop at the Punta Langosta Mall (at the "downtown" pier) or on the Plaza, you'll need to take a taxi.

:) Thank you.

We have not been to Cozumel in years and not since the hurricane that wrecked so much damage. I was not sure if port security was such that only people on the ships docked at each pier could shop at that pier area. If we dock at a less desireable pier, in terms of shopping, I was hoping we could move along and shop at another pier. In some ports, you cannot enter that area if you are not on the that ship.

:) Thank you.

We have not been to Cozumel in years and not since the hurricane that wrecked so much damage. I was not sure if port security was such that only people on the ships docked at each pier could shop at that pier area. If we dock at a less desireable pier, in terms of shopping, I was hoping we could move along and shop at another pier. In some ports, you cannot enter that area if you are not on the that ship.

Everything was fixed after the hurricane and all the piers are in great shape. I wouldn't say that any of them are "less desirable" these days. If you really want to shop and get some good bargains - go downtown for a $7.00 taxi fare. Go back a block or two off the Malecon and you can negotiate prices better.

If you want to shop at one of the other "duty-free" shops at the cruise piers, you won't be always be able to. Some of the areas are restricted to passengers only of the ships currently docked. ID and boarding passes are required to enter the areas.

Most of the duty free shops are the same.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Very helpful.

There will be 7 ships in port the day we are scheduled for Cozumel. Seeing we haven't been there in so long, I'm sorry it will be so crowded but we are looking forward to returning after a long time.

We'll probably go downtown and then shop at the pier when we return.

Everything was fixed after the hurricane and all the piers are in great shape. I wouldn't say that any of them are "less desirable" these days. If you really want to shop and get some good bargains - go downtown for a $7.00 taxi fare. Go back a block or two off the Malecon and you can negotiate prices better.

This is really a good suggestion. But you can also shop at whichever pier you want to.

Both times we were in Cozumel this year they wouldn't allow you in the pier shopping area unless you were on one of the ships at the pier (checked everyones cards at the taxi cab area).

There were some people in front of us coming from carnivals pier, that paid for a cab to our pier and were turned away. They were pretty upset. However it wasn't that difficult to avoid the guys checking ID's and just enter the shopping area.;)

Archived