Are candles allowed?

marie1971

Depending on the ham radio equipment, some of it can be fairly powerful, and I suppose can interfere with the ship's operation.

The bigger issue is probably RF interference to non-shielded equipment like televisions in staterooms and data cables throughout the ship. There's also the issue of safety when it comes to RF exposure with the power levels that ham radio transceivers are capable of. A handheld ham radio for VHF/UHF operation would likely not even be spotted, and generally won't go over 5W, no big deal. HF is where the cruise lines are likely concerned, with longer antennas that will likely be wire antennas hanging off balconies. The higher power typically used with HF transmission along with the potential of someone unknowingly coming into contact with the wire (RF burns are nasty) introduces a lot of liability. So a general ban is understandable.

I am probably just being dense here, but I get why everything

on that list is not allowed aboard a ship except for the HAM

radio. Why would that be on a list with fireworks and

martial arts weapons? I can't imagine a radio being a

threat to anyone or anything?

The original owners of the cruise line kept kosher?

The bigger issue is probably RF interference to non-shielded equipment like televisions in staterooms and data cables throughout the ship. There's also the issue of safety when it comes to RF exposure with the power levels that ham radio transceivers are capable of. A handheld ham radio for VHF/UHF operation would likely not even be spotted, and generally won't go over 5W, no big deal. HF is where the cruise lines are likely concerned, with longer antennas that will likely be wire antennas hanging off balconies. The higher power typically used with HF transmission along with the potential of someone unknowingly coming into contact with the wire (RF burns are nasty) introduces a lot of liability. So a general ban is understandable.

Countries are protective of 'spectrum' and regulate where a ship can transmit. As a US ship, I had to send a 'request to transmit' to the country we planned to visit to allow non-conflict research.

As a worst case example my ship was given, as a test, some UHF hand held radios, for on the ship communications. We found they worked GREAT at sea. But in our home port, the frequency had already been purchased by a plumbing company who reported us for stepping on their communications.

I always bring a flameless candle WITH TIMER on board with us. Once you turn it on, it stays on for 6 hours and then shuts off. It then turns on at the same tme every evening after that. You can find them decently priced at QVC or batteryoperatedcandles dot com. I use one in the bathroom over night so I can find my way without tripping over the doorway, and also on the balcony just while we're out there for the effect.

One thing you should know: While travelling, it's best to pack the flameless candle WITHOUT THE BATTERIES IN PLACE or it will register on the x-rays at the airport at a possible weapon. We have had to deal with this and learned our lesson. Put the batteries in the candle once you get to your stateroom.

I will never cruise without one of these again. They can sub as a flashlight as well.

Countries are protective of 'spectrum' and regulate where a ship can transmit. As a US ship, I had to send a 'request to transmit' to the country we planned to visit to allow non-conflict research.

As a worst case example my ship was given, as a test, some UHF hand held radios, for on the ship communications. We found they worked GREAT at sea. But in our home port, the frequency had already been purchased by a plumbing company who reported us for stepping on their communications.

Oh, spectrum is always a concern, but amateur radio spectrum is fairly consistent around the world and hams would have a better understanding of the rules than a layman who operates a GMRS radio without a license and in foreign ports (for instance GMRS frequencies are actually used for emergency service radios in Great Britain).

But back to candles... those are ALWAYS BAD. :D

I always bring a battery operated candle to use in our stateroom. We use one that has a 6-hour timer on it, which you can find on QVC.com or batteryoperatedcandles.com. I use ours for effect while on the balcony, but more importantly in the bathroom at night as a night light. They can also sub as a flashlight if needed.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: DON'T PACK THEM WITH THE BATTERIES IN THEM, THE XRAYS WILL READ THEM AS A POSSIBLE WEAPON. PUT THE BATTERIES IN ONCE YOU REACH YOUR STATEROOM, AND KEEP THEM UPSIDE DOWN WHILE NOT IN USE UNTIL YOUR STEWARD IS FAMILIAR WITH THE FACT THAT IT IS BATTERY OPERATED.

I will never cruise or travel without one of these again !

Depending on the ham radio equipment, some of it can be fairly powerful, and I suppose can interfere with the ship's operation.

The prime thing that would affect the ship's navigation would be if the computer mouse slipped off the mousepad up on the bridge.:rolleyes:

Might be a bit annoying up on the top deck with the antenna strung out like the zip line and someone calling "CQ..CQ" all night. (From a fellow HAM by the way and someone would stood at muster for real on the SS Norway.):) No flames, gel candles, irons, or tossed cigarette butts please.

first is STAR PRINCESS: in the Carib' between Cayman and Jamacia a fire broke out at 3AM ... attributed to a cigarette butt falling on something left on a balcony which led to new regulations about sprinkler system coverage, ability to see balconies from monitoring systems and not leaving things on balconies

Really? Was that actually proven :confused:

###

They could cause interference. And different frequencies are used in different countries regions of the world. A US Ham radio frequency may be used for some other radio service elsewhere. That said it is possible to use Ham Radios if you get special permission from the cruise line and ships Captain.

I thought the frequencies for ham radios were pretty standard world wide. That is why ham operators are able to talk with people around the world.

flames and cruise ships do not mix

princessfire.jpg

ecstaceyfire4.gif

Those photos are from ships that allow smoking in the cabin & on the balcony. Only the Princess one was cause by a careless smoker. For some reason, candles are not allowed.......:confused: but cigarettes are. I certainly am thankful that all the cruise lines agree on the candles. One less way to set the ship on fire.

Those photos are from ships that allow smoking in the cabin & on the balcony. Only the Princess one was cause by a careless smoker. For some reason, candles are not allowed.......:confused: but cigarettes are. I certainly am thankful that all the cruise lines agree on the candles. One less way to set the ship on fire.

Any bet that inconsistancy has something to do with company profits?;)

That was just their best guess, the cause of the Princess fire was never definitively determined.

Archived