Emerald DVD players

marshacher

Thank you both for your responses. Too bad. First time we've ever encountered this situation. My DH is handicapped and spends more time than most in his cabin. His entertainment is watching movies. He has asked me to cancel the cruise and find one where he can have a DVD player. Hope Princess is reading this. Bummer.

You may not be able to attach anything to the TV. I do know that HAL had DVD players for movies in their Mini Suites. Same Company different line. I liked the Mini's on HAL but Princess just seems to be a bit bigger balcony cabin.

We had no trouble connecting our portable DVD player to the flat screen (View Sonic) on the Pacific Princess last month. Our player has a remote and we brought our own cords. There is an extra plug behind the tv and plenty of room for the player to rest on the shelf. I don't know if Princess has a DVD rental, but we brought our own... they're light and don't take much room.:D

Thank you all. Calling Princess is #1 on my to do list this morning. A portable DVD player may not be easy for us since we need to carry oxygen and breathing equipment on board. Another item just loads us down more. We sail HAL frequently and have always had DVD players available. Princess was never an issue in the past (pre-illness days) as it wasn't needed.

Thanks again for your input.

I'm not going to try and predict what you can and cannot take with you, as only you kow your situation. But just so that the information is out there for you in case you didn't know, portable DVD players these days are about the size of a thin paperback book. One with a 7 inch screen is going to be about 8 inches long, 6 inches wide and less than 2 inches thick. It can be slipped into the middle of any suitcase.

Yes, as Jimmy said, they are very small and weigh less than a pound. the weight shown on the site includes all the cords and packing. You would not need to bring all the stuff that comes with it. Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVP-FX750-7-Inch-Portable-Player/dp/B003CHOHXY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1319119212&sr=8-9

Good luck. :)

Ok, I have never been on Princess but the other lines seem to have all the TV inputs covered so you can't plug anything in. Much like hotel rooms. Even HAL had all the inputs covered by a box that attached to the back. ie Oosterdam 05/11

I bring my laptop to watch movies on the plane so I looked on our cabin TV's..

So can I assume that we could use our cabin TV to watch movies??? And if so what type of connections are we talking about??? HDMI, Component, USB, or simple RCA??? We are in a Balcony this time if that matters. Ruby 01/12 Thanks

Ok, I have never been on Princess but the other lines seem to have all the TV inputs covered so you can't plug anything in. Much like hotel rooms. Even HAL had all the inputs covered by a box that attached to the back. ie Oosterdam 05/11

I bring my laptop to watch movies on the plane so I looked on our cabin TV's..

So can I assume that we could use our cabin TV to watch movies??? And if so what type of connections are we talking about??? HDMI, Component, USB, or simple RCA??? We are in a Balcony this time if that matters. Ruby 01/12 Thanks

If you look at this product, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVP-FX750-7-Inch-Portable-Player/dp/B003CHOHXY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1319125292&sr=8-9 scroll down to the picture of accessories. The one with the red, yellow and white ends fit into the dvd player and the other end into the tv. It was a flat screen view sonic and the cable access points were completely accessible. Go here to see tv. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vt1930.htm The picture of the tv rotates so that you can see the back of it. I don't know about hooking up a computer. We had an ipad and dvd player.

Most flatpanel TV's will take a HDMI input but my question is does Princess block the back of the TV so you cant plug anything in? Most hotels and the other cruiselines I was on do because they don't want you messing with it and want you to use pay per view.

I am surprised some are able to access the back of the TV onboard. I wonder if this was a fluke???

Most flatpanel TV's will take a HDMI input but my question is does Princess block the back of the TV so you cant plug anything in? Most hotels and the other cruiselines I was on do because they don't want you messing with it and want you to use pay per view.

I am surprised some are able to access the back of the TV onboard. I wonder if this was a fluke???

Princess doesn't have pay per view. We've always been able to hook in our DVD players.

Lots of good info from all of you. Will probably just bring lap top with us. It has a bigger screen than a portable DVD Player.

I did call Princess and they confirmed no DVD rentals. However, the answer to my next question blew my mind - real cause to cancel. I asked if I could make arrangements to have someone push my DH's wheelchair onto the ship and their response was "no, passengers have to get themselves on board." I asked how someone who can't walk would do this. Her response was "I'll check on that" and put me on hold. I hung up. Have never had that kind of response from any cruise line. Princess will never see me again. Sure hope they're reading this post.

Lots of good info from all of you. Will probably just bring lap top with us. It has a bigger screen than a portable DVD Player.

I did call Princess and they confirmed no DVD rentals. However, the answer to my next question blew my mind - real cause to cancel. I asked if I could make arrangements to have someone push my DH's wheelchair onto the ship and their response was "no, passengers have to get themselves on board." I asked how someone who can't walk would do this. Her response was "I'll check on that" and put me on hold. I hung up. Have never had that kind of response from any cruise line. Princess will never see me again. Sure hope they're reading this post.

Hi, two things:

1) If you hook up to the tv, you watch the movie on the tv screen, so it will be approximately 19".

2) When we were on the Pacific last month, there were several people in WC and they got assistance going up and down the gangway from the staff. I saw it with my own eyes!:)

The inputs are not blocked but they are a little difficult to get to as the TV is on a post and will only swival so far away from the wall. But you can reach them. :)

We'll probably buy an inexpensive portable DVD player at WalMart (oops - can I mention that establishment?)and take the cables with us. If it can hook up to the TV it would make DH very happy.

I have never been on a cruise where we couldn't have someone from the ship push the wheelchair on board. I was just ticked at her attitude and response. She either was having a bad hair day or it was her first day. Every question I asked I had to wait for her to check on it. I'm sure if I call tomorrow I'll get someone more knowledgeable. What I want is WC assistance put in our record. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Uninformed CSRs aren't exclusive to Princess.

Archived