7 nights on Allure OR a week at Atlantis...what to do?

I am so torn on what to do for sping break! We have deposits on both 2 connecting rooms at Atlantis in the Bahamas and 2 connecting balcony rooms on Allure. We have 16, 11 and a 9 year old coming with us and dont know which would be more fun for them. Both have excellent reviews. All in they will cost about the same in the end so I can't decide which to do! My kids have cruised on Disney a couple of times and LOVED it so I am leaning towards cruise but my husband scuba dives and loves diving in the Bahamas (cruise is the 7 night western so no stopping in Bahamas). Also my 16 year old will be certified by then as well so with Altantis they could dive everyday if they want. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....HELP!!! Anybody have any suggestions or done both and care to comment??? Thanks!!

I've been to the Atlantis twice and I assure you they won't cost the same. The food at Atlantis is VERY expenisve! By the time you pay for diving and other things you will want to do it will be quite costly.

I stayed there for four nights each time I went there. It is fabulous to see the place, but I would be bored being there for a whole week. Others may disagree but I am only giving my opinion. I would do the cruise and perhaps do a shorter stay there as a separate vacation.

Remember too, that they now allow cruiseship passengers to buy day tickets to be on the property so it can get pretty crowded. My argument has always been that if I am paying a lot of money for an upscale resort, I don't want to share with large groups of people every day. To each is own.

I am so torn on what to do for sping break! We have deposits on both 2 connecting rooms at Atlantis in the Bahamas and 2 connecting balcony rooms on Allure. We have 16, 11 and a 9 year old coming with us and dont know which would be more fun for them. Both have excellent reviews. All in they will cost about the same in the end so I can't decide which to do! My kids have cruised on Disney a couple of times and LOVED it so I am leaning towards cruise but my husband scuba dives and loves diving in the Bahamas (cruise is the 7 night western so no stopping in Bahamas). Also my 16 year old will be certified by then as well so with Altantis they could dive everyday if they want. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....HELP!!! Anybody have any suggestions or done both and care to comment??? Thanks!!

We've done both (not the Allure but many cruises) and although non of our grands are as old as your oldest the choice would still be a clear CRUISE PLEASE. So much more for everyone to enjoy. Check the excursions for diving trips and set up as many as you can for your husband and son and everyone else has the entire ship to explore. But my guess is they won't want to dive every day once they see the ship!

We have spent a week at the Atlantis (At the Harborside Condos) and done a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.

They are very different vacations, while still being beachy.

Entertainment is by far better on the Oasis. There was really no entertainment in the evenings at the Atlantis unless you gamble. That was the major low-point for us there. We had pretty boring evenings.

The aquaventure waterpark is simply out of this world at Atlantis. I've never experienced anything like it and would gladly go back. We were at the Atlantis a week and we didn't get bored during the days between that and the beaches and the other pools, marine life, and the traditional lazy river on the other side of the resort.

I'm not sure how the numbers break down for you, but Atlantis was more expensive for us by a good bit. Even though we were careful with our spending, everything was an extra fee.

I guess it just comes down to which you think you would most enjoy. If your kids love the water and water parks, (and you are the type of parent who can handle them possibly being out of your sight) then the Atlantis is an amazing experience and I would maybe side with that since they have cruised before so they can have a new experience.

If you have people who are sensitive to the sun or don't like being outdoors all day long though, you may be happier on the cruise.

Really, I think either choice would be a good one! Have a great vacation whichever you decide!

This is just another option, if money is not an issue and you really don't have a preference then why not take a family vote? You may be surprised that everyone may choose one over the other. But remember parents always have the right to over rule kids vote if needed. lol

If this is a surprise trip, well I'm sure you will make the best decision for all. Enjoy your trip regardless!

Butterfly625

If Allure is doing a western itinerary the week you are looking to travel, then Oasis must be doing the eastern itinerary which includes the Bahamas. Have you looked at Oasis for the same week?

Like all the others on this thread, my family would choose the cruise over Atlantis.

We have done both many times.....and both are fantastic. While food costs are high at Atlantis....Rum in Nassau is dirt cheap...so a stop by the liquor store can make a HUGE difference if you like to drink:D...something you can't do on Allure. Also IMO it really depends upon your accommodations at Atlantis. A 1 or 2 bedroom unit at The Reef is unbelievable....comes with a full kitchen...Sub-Zero....granite counters....you get the idea, washer/drier unit, multi-bathrooms and huge balconies. We were so comfortable that we even cooked dinner ourselves one night and another ate left-overs from Carmines....again...a simple stop at the store can make a huge difference.....the kitchen made the difference in price to upgrade to the Reef well worth it. Forgot to add....another BIG plus with The Reef is the private beach and pool that is only for folks staying at The Reef and The Cove.....think of it as a private resort with-in a resort....you have an escape from the crowds whenever you want.

OOpppsss....one more thing to add.....7 nights at Atlantis is a lot...5 nights is perfect...so if it comes down to it you may want to play with nicer accommodations and cutting down a couple nights on the stay.

WOW... Thanks for all the feedback all. We did take a family vote... all the kids picked cruise but that is b/c they are never heard or seen much about Atlantis other than my preaching about it and the website whereas they have cruised before and LOVED it. I am dying to do Atlantis and voted for that and my husband votes for whichever is cheaper. LOL. Either way, I promised him to not let him see the bill. Somethings are best left unknown...:D Thanks for the input. I think we will end up on the cruise.

Not trying to point out the super obvious, but this IS a website for people who love to cruise, so can't you pretty much guess what 95% of the responses will be....;)

Too funny I was thinking the same thing. All joking aside, my DD is 8. We went to Disney World last year and a cruise this year (her first). On the last night of our cruise I ask which she liked the most, DW or cruise. Without hesitation she said "the cruise can we go again". There is just something about cruising that makes everybody happy, well most everybody :rolleyes:

I think Atlantis would be a great place to stay. But I think 7 days might be a bit much in one place.

I know that Cozumel has some scuba diving excursions. Check those out for your family members that like that.

There is a Dive Center on the Allure and I know that when I was on Oasis they had dive classes in the Aqua Theater pool. They may or may not still have these.

Not trying to point out the super obvious, but this IS a website for people who love to cruise, so can't you pretty much guess what 95% of the responses will be....;)

I know... I too thought about that but I posted also on tripadvisor the same question and still have not gotten a single response. Thanks again for all the input everybody!

There is a Dive Center on the Allure and I know that when I was on Oasis they had dive classes in the Aqua Theater pool. They may or may not still have these.

That would be great for my 11 year old! She wants to scuba but we want her to wait a few years before doing it in the ocean. Do you know if you can swim in the aqua theater pool as well when they are not using it for shows or lessons? Thanks.

Atlantis is great as we stayed there a few years ago but as someone posted in a previous post, the food can be very expensive unless you leave the resort and hit some other local spots. I would not want to spend more than three or four days there at the most. Price for price for a week Allure will win out.

That would be great for my 11 year old! She wants to scuba but we want her to wait a few years before doing it in the ocean. Do you know if you can swim in the aqua theater pool as well when they are not using it for shows or lessons? Thanks.

No....they don't allow swimming in the AT.

Not even close....Allure of the Seas by a mile:)

I would shoot myself if I spent a week at the Atlantis.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful resort, but after a few days it would start getting very boring.

If it was located at a different destination I might do it, but Nassau is not where I would spend my hard earned money.

Archived