Do chair hogs exist on Princess (not that I want them to)

luv2cruz62

It is several years since I cruised out of the USA so I am learning a lot. From reading this thread and others it sounds as if it is often difficult to find a chair. Maybe this is beause a lot of chairs are 'reserved' by someone who will (or might) come back some time later in the day. Maybe if the chairs were only held if the person was in the pool or on a bathroom break (or maybe going back to their cabin to retrieve something) then there would be plenty of chairs available for people who really wanted to use them.:D I find it incredible (almost unbelievable) that people would reserve a chair for an hour or more and think this is OK. :D

By the way, on cruises out of Australia this doesn't seem to be an issue. I have never heard this question discussed and I have always been able to find a chair when I look for one, although it might not be in the exact position I would choose if they were all empty.

I agree totally, and I'm glad to say that I've never personally been involved in an argument with a chair hog and we are definitely not chair hogs. I guess I can only hope that I would handle the situation in a civilized manor, but as with most people there is a breaking point, especially when you are with family and friends.

Worst case I saw was a fellow who would come out at 6 am and toss towels and flip flops down on 8 loungers and leave. One morning a nice fellow came up to me and asked if I had seen what had happened to his towel and book that he had left on one of the 8 'reserved' loungers, which were empty when he put his stuff on them but which now had the usual towels and flip flops on them. He had gone to get his wife and when he returned his stuff was gone. He was not worried about losing the chair but really wanted his book back. I told him about the chair hog and his daily routine and mentioned that they usually took claim to the 'reserved' loungers around 11 ish and he could maybe ask them if they knew. I really felt sorry for the fellow.

I'm not sure why some people insist that the rules don't apply to them. Perhaps they think they've chartered a yacht and they have all the say in what applies. A little common courtesy would be a blessing at times.

I'm not sure where we're going but what the heck are we doing in this hand basket!

Beachbum

And the hand basket is so full of confrontational people these days!!! But if you've ever seen a person get loud and irate with someone who manages to keep their cool (and it's even a bonus to look bored), it just makes the loud and irate person even madder and they always end up looking like a blithering idiot.

Sometimes it is hard to bite the tongue, but it definitely pays off in the big scheme of things!!!

I just want out of this hand basket, because I've got a pretty good idea of where it is going -- and it ain't the Caribbean!!!:eek:

So just because someone else abuses something, that means that you should abuse it too? So THAT'S what's happened to common courtesy! Thank you for the clarification.

Oh, and NEVER say never! There were a lot of people that said Princess would never ban smoking on balconies:p!

That's true but the chair situation is a little different and much harder to enforce.

Well then I must be a chair hog by all definitions. The next question is, if I'm a chair hog then what difference does it make if I'm gone 45 minutes of 3 hours? Not much I guess.

The difference between 3 hours and 45 minutes? That would be 2 hours and 15 minutes. :rolleyes: What makes someone feel they are entitled to leave a chair unattended for hours? :confused: That's selfish and rude.

I fully agree.

... I had read on another thread where on the Grand they were actually enforcing the policy by tagging chairs, and removing articles after 30 minutes. Bravo!! Now if they would just do this fleet wide...

Really? This is the equivalent to your parking meter running out, LOL! Not a bad idea... at least you don't get a fine (see, cruising is always better than a land vacation:)). However, better take that favourite book with you to the 'bathroom', in case you're in there for more than 30 minutes.;)

How about tagging your own chairs... "Back in 'x' minutes at 'x' o'clock"... and the fine print, "If the occupant does not return by the time specified, please place their belongings under this lounger."

Well then I must be a chair hog by all definitions. The next question is, if I'm a chair hog then what difference does it make if I'm gone 45 minutes of 3 hours? Not much I guess.

I love the way people decide for them selves what actions are appropriate & which are not. :p

I'm sorry to say that it does make a big difference whether you are gone 45 minutes or 3 hours. I usually use a lounger for half an hour or an hour or so to relax and read a book. If you are away for 3 hours I can have the use of the chair and leave it available for someone else in the time you have reserved it for your later use. Reserving a chair for later use impacts on all the people who can't find a chair to use and don't want to precipitate an unpleasant scene by moving someone else's belongings (I wouldn't do this).

Personally I think 45 minutes is way too long to reserve a chair and that 30 minutes is very generous.:)

I'm sorry to say that it does make a big difference whether you are gone 45 minutes or 3 hours. I usually use a lounger for half an hour or an hour or so to relax and read a book. If you are away for 3 hours I can have the use of the chair and leave it available for someone else in the time you have reserved it for your later use. Reserving a chair for later use impacts on all the people who can't find a chair to use and don't want to precipitate an unpleasant scene by moving someone else's belongings (I wouldn't do this).

Personally I think 45 minutes is way too long to reserve a chair and that 30 minutes is very generous.:)

I do realize that 3 hours is outrageous. I was only being sarcastic to illustrate a point.

I love the way people decide for them selves what actions are appropriate & which are not. :p

Well, you answered and labeled yourself well. No offense as a lot of other people seem so inclined. The whole point of this is to let everyone have a time in the sun or near the pool. It is not hard to do. Like I tell the Grand kids--SHARE!! See ya on Golden In December?? We will share a lounge. I will split it with you even time. You take 7 to 7 after dinner and I will take it 7 to 7 after Breakfast. DEAL! Great!!--See ya aboard.

Really? This is the equivalent to your parking meter running out, LOL! Not a bad idea... at least you don't get a fine (see, cruising is always better than a land vacation:)). However, better take that favourite book with you to the 'bathroom', in case you're in there for more than 30 minutes.;)

How about tagging your own chairs... "Back in 'x' minutes at 'x' o'clock"... and the fine print, "If the occupant does not return by the time specified, please place their belongings under this lounger."

I can't say from experience that the Grand is indeed doing the 30 minute tag thing, just that someone in another thread had stated it.

But, I'm kinda thinking if you're in the bathroom for over 30 minutes ya might have bigger things to worry about than a loung chair. I'm no doctor, but I'm just saying.

And the hand basket is so full of confrontational people these days!!! But if you've ever seen a person get loud and irate with someone who manages to keep their cool (and it's even a bonus to look bored), it just makes the loud and irate person even madder and they always end up looking like a blithering idiot.

Sometimes it is hard to bite the tongue, but it definitely pays off in the big scheme of things!!!

I just want out of this hand basket, because I've got a pretty good idea of where it is going -- and it ain't the Caribbean!!!:eek:

But look on the bright side, where it's going is warm, and I'm pretty sure I have some friends, either already there or on their way.

I can't say from experience that the Grand is indeed doing the 30 minute tag thing, just that someone in another thread had stated it.

But, I'm kinda thinking if you're in the bathroom for over 30 minutes ya might have bigger things to worry about than a loung chair. I'm no doctor, but I'm just saying.

If you go in the water for a while, then take a bathroom break & stop by the buffet for a drink you can very well go over the 30 minute time limit. Like I originally said, the time limit is only a guide & not to be taken literally (or at least that's how most people view it).

If you go in the water for a while, then take a bathroom break & stop by the buffet for a drink you can very well go over the 30 minute time limit. Like I originally said, the time limit is only a guide & not to be taken literally (or at least that's how most people view it).

Sorry, that is how you view it....30 mins is 30 mins and most people see anything more than that as not abiding by the rule. While I would probably not remove your belongings from the lounger, I may well ask an attendant to do so and it would appear that many others would remove your belongings themselves.

Chair Hogs have alot of Nerve just coming out Super Early throwing towels, etc on the chairs and leaving, then hours later coming down thinking its their spot.....WHAT NERVE!!!!, LOL...:D

JUST PUT THEIR TOWELS, ETC SOMEWHERE WHERE THEY "WONT" FIND IT AND MAYBE THEYLL START GETTING THE HINT.....ALSO WHEN THEY ASK WHERES MY STUFF, I HAD THIS CHAIR SAVED.....

Just Smile :D and Say I Dont Know There Wasnt Anything Here When I Sat Down.......:rolleyes:

Plus I Hate Chair Hogs in the Theatres....They Try and Save Loads of Chairs and I've seen one guy who came in 2 hours Early and put jackets,books,A Glass on the chairs and then come in 5 minutes before the show started....:eek:

Again WHAT NERVE!!!!

I am in the pool, I stay there either swimming, talking to my cruise-mates, or relaxing in the whirlpool. I am originally from Brooklyn NY. I am a happy type, love people, am college educated. Honestly if you touch my stuff I will watch you like a hawk till I get my chance to remove your stuff, and I will do it on the 31st minute. Just saying!

If you're happy, love people and supposedly intelligent, why are you using a chair as a towel rack? Wouldn't allowing your fellow man to actually SIT on your towel rack show more love??

I, too, would never remove someone's stuff, but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment asking a deck attendant to. And you won't be able to touch my stuff on the 31st minute, because I'm not inconsiderate enough to leave my stuff on a chair without my butt being on it that long:p! But, if you want to waste your cruise watching my stuff like a hawk, feel free!

If you're happy, love people and supposedly intelligent, why are you using a chair as a towel rack? Wouldn't allowing your fellow man to actually SIT on your towel rack show more love??

I, too, would never remove someone's stuff, but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment asking a deck attendant to. And you won't be able to touch my stuff on the 31st minute, because I'm not inconsiderate enough to leave my stuff on a chair without my butt being on it that long:p! But, if you want to waste your cruise watching my stuff like a hawk, feel free!

I guess you would be happy if they drained the pool, and we just sat around all day!

I guess you would be happy if they drained the pool, and we just sat around all day!

I think the point is that there's usually dozens of chairs being "reserved" and three people in the pool.

I've no personal issues with people swimming. If you're going to swim for hours on end, though, why not give up the chair to someone who wants to sit in a chair?

Well, that's what us polite people do, anyway. You go with what works for your personality. :rolleyes:

Your post, in response to my post, makes absolutely no sense:confused:. Why would anyone sit around a dry pool?

Believe me, I get in the pool, I get in the hot tub, I go to the bathroom, and I might even grab a bite to eat and bring it back to my lounge chair.

However, if I'm going to be gone longer than 30 minutes, I will give up my lounger to someone that wants to sit down. If I don't want to give it up, then I don't leave for more than 30 minutes. That kind of behavior has a name ... it's called being courteous to your fellow man:rolleyes:! You should try it. It might make you even happier than you already are!!:p

...better take that favourite book with you to the 'bathroom', in case you're in there for more than 30 minutes.;)...

bbum,

This is better than any response that I could have written! I was trying to make others laugh and you made ME laugh out loud! Thanks:D! "I'm just saying", too funny!

31st minute? LOL ... that is comical. Are those of you who wish to adhere to the one-minute overage rule also going to make a big stink in the supermarket when the person in front of you goes through the quick check with 16 items instead of the allotted 15? :eek:

How about lounge chairs equipped with a parking meter device? That way after you get situated, it can expire at 30 minutes or whatever, and then everyone must leave their chair.

I think the point is that there's usually dozens of chairs being "reserved" and three people in the pool.

I've no personal issues with people swimming. If you're going to swim for hours on end, though, why not give up the chair to someone who wants to sit in a chair?

Well, that's what us polite people do, anyway. You go with what works for your personality. :rolleyes:

Your post, in response to my post, makes absolutely no sense:confused:. Why would anyone sit around a dry pool?

Believe me, I get in the pool, I get in the hot tub, I go to the bathroom, and I might even grab a bite to eat and bring it back to my lounge chair.

However, if I'm going to be gone longer than 30 minutes, I will give up my lounger to someone that wants to sit down. If I don't want to give it up, then I don't leave for more than 30 minutes. That kind of behavior has a name ... it's called being courteous to your fellow man:rolleyes:! You should try it. It might make you even happier than you already are!!:p

It all comes down to being considerate of your fellow passengers. If you want a chair in a popular area (where there's a definite limit to how many chairs would fit and allow people to walk around), then don't just throw down your stuff and go off for a while. Generally the reasons to be away from a chair is to use the pool or hot tub, to use the restroom facilities, to walk to the nearby pizza/grill to grab a plate to eat at your chair (even with a line, getting your plate should only take a few minutes). If you are planning to wear a swimming suit, put your shorts and tee over it and then go to the pool deck (and strip down there). If you want to go eat in the buffet or dining room, take your stuff with you, eat and then return if you wish. In the meantime, someone could use that chair. And if everyone is being considerate, there should be a chair available for your use.

Archived