Is Princess Pizza Chicagoan Approved?

Kmkub

[quote name='Kmkub']Do your own search for Chicago-style thin crust.

It's both. Get over it. I don't care what anyone says... Chicago-style thin crust is a real thing. lol.

And I'm done arguing about it. I lived it. I know what I'm talking about.

I never even heard of deep dish pizza until the late 80's (born in the 60's) .... it just wasn't a thing.

The only people I know who think Chicago style pizza is the deep dish stuff are people from the North suburbs and people not from Chicago. Everyone else in Chicago thinks the thin style is a valid (and more tasty) pizza and that's what they mean when they say Chicago style.

You can beat your head against the wall forever and berate people who are saying it "wrong," but you still won't make any converts.

Enjoy your day![/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Funny that you lived in Chicago for so long and never knew what "Chicago Style" meant. It has nothing to do with what you think tastes better. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Just do a search for "Chicago Style Pizza" at pretty much any website. Even the Chicago Tribune website. That will show you that Chicago Style means the deep dish.

In any event, no, the pizza on Princess is not as good as the ones in the photos. It is thin crust, but it more closely resembles the pizza you might get at a Little Caesars than what we have been talking about. They serve a lot of it so it needs to be something that can be made quickly. Cheese only, single topping, simple.. I find it rather bland and boring.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Carolina Cruisr']
With that said we do enjoy the pizza on Princess ships. [/quote]
Thanks! Several Chicagoans have given this input and that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I've certainly found tasty pizza in Florida... it's hard to find and tastes nothing like my Chicago style pizza... but, it's tasty.

I'm going to give Princess pizza a try this time around!

[quote name='77Network']
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Just do a search for "Chicago Style Pizza" at pretty much any website.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
I did a google image search of Chicago Style Pizza.

Here's the first image that came up.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpg/220px-Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpg[/IMG]
Again, it's both. Get over it already.

Cheers!

[quote name='Kmkub']I did a google image search of Chicago Style Pizza.

Here's the first image that came up.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpg/220px-Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpg[/IMG]
Again, it's both. Get over it already.

Cheers![/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Right. Now you are just making stuff up. I think you should try running that search again.

Er Wait, you ran "Chicago Style Thin Crust Pizza". And that does come up first. However, click on the image. You will see that it is article on wiki. It a picture of a "thin crust" pizza on the bottom of a page for "Chicago Style" pizza. All the other pizzas on this page are Chicago Style. The article is pretty clear about this. I am surprised you did not understand this.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
I will agree that the pizza in that picture is probably consumed more than deep dish pizza. That does not make it “Chicago Style”.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Are you familiar with a cocktail called the Manhattan? Most bars in Manhattan serve more Martinis than Manhattans. And most people in Manhattan find that the Martini tastes better. And I am sure there are people in New York that have never heard of a drink called a Manhattan. This however does make a Martini a Manhattan.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I think the confusion is in the fact that the word “Style” is part of the name. Maybe if they called it The Chicago it would not be so hard to understand. Chicago Style is a specific type of deep dish pizza.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='77Network'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Chicago Style is a specific type of deep dish pizza.[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
I understand perfectly. I don't really want to argue this. I grew up at Fox's Pub and Palermo's pizza and they always called it traditional Chicago-style, as did every other pizza place I ever went until the late 1980's, when the other stuff started to become more popular.

How about this? I will call it what I was taught and you call it what you were taught?

Oh, and by the way, it's the Sears Tower and it's Marshall Fields.... ;) no matter what anyone says, that's what they are and will always be.

Cheers!

[quote name='JEH']Its Marina City , right, not Cobb Towers as one of the posters here refered to it and commented that the non deep dish pizza was called ghetto pizza.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I has no idea what Cobb Towers was or where it was. When did they change that name??

[quote name='lexyplexy']Thanks for the clarification. I has no idea what Cobb Towers was or where it was. When did they change that name??[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it's still Marina City. I have no idea what Cobb Tower is.

[quote name='Kmkub']Whoever mentioned Palermo's gets my official "YUMMMMMMM." They are number 2 on my list... with Fox's (Oak Lawn & Orland Park) being number 1.

I've never heard this delicious blend of ingredients referred to as "Ghetto" food... lol. I guess if ghetto means, "best tasting," then sure.

Here's a pic I took on my most recent trip to Chicago. THIS is Chicago pizza....

[IMG]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/heresmynamesodeal/Kath/foxs.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

All the raves about Princess pizza and I was very disappointed (wayyyyy toooooo greeeeeaaasssyyyyy), the new yorkers that I met on Princess really liked it though.

Palermos I found nothing special about and now that they sell it in grocery stores I believe it has gone downhill, Fox's is pretty good, but if you want really good Chicago style pizza go to Papa Paisanos on 78th just south of 95th Street in Hickory Hills, their pizza is so good you'll eat it until you puke and then eat more!:eek:

Jim

[quote name='NoGvmnt']All the raves about Princess pizza and I was very disappointed (wayyyyy toooooo greeeeeaaasssyyyyy), the new yorkers that I met on Princess really liked it though.[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As a New Yorker and someone of Italian decent I can tell you if the olive oil doesn't drip into the plate it's not Pizza. My biggest complaint about eating Pizza outside of New York or New Jersey is that the crust is like rubber, they don't put enough cheese on it and the sauce is like ketchup. I remember when I was in college and I went to Ft Lauderdale for spring break the pizza was terrible. With that said, thirty years later I have had acceptable pizza in the West Palm Beach area where my in-laws now live. By the way Domino’s is ghetto pizza but my kids seem to love it. Where did I go wrong :confused:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kmkub']I understand perfectly. I don't really want to argue this. I grew up at Fox's Pub and Palermo's pizza and they always called it traditional Chicago-style, as did every other pizza place I ever went until the late 1980's, when the other stuff started to become more popular.

How about this? I will call it what I was taught and you call it what you were taught?

Oh, and by the way, it's the Sears Tower and it's Marshall Fields.... ;) no matter what anyone says, that's what they are and will always be.

Cheers![/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I don't doubt that those two restaurants called it that, but does not mean anything. There is a 99 store restaurant chain called Old Chicago that sells a pizza they call the Chicago 7. Using that same logic, we can deduce that Chicago Style pizza has 7 ingredients and is what that chain calls Chicago pizza.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I know that you and your friends think that Chicago Style means that thin crust pizza, but no one else does. You can search "Chicago Style" at any food website, the Chicago Tribune website, or Google and you will see that Chicago Style means the deep dish kind. I suppose it does not matter though because you already said that you don't care what is correct and that you are going to continue to believe that because it was what you were taught when you were younger.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]In any event, I still don't think you will enjoy the pizza on Princess. They serve a lot of pizza so they need something that be put together very quickly. Because of that, the quality suffers. The pizza they serve will be cheese only or just one topping. I find it plain and boring.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Iamcruzin'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As a New Yorker and someone of Italian decent I can tell you if the olive oil doesn't drip into the plate it's not Pizza. My biggest complaint about eating Pizza outside of New York or New Jersey is that the crust is like rubber, they don't put enough cheese on it and the sauce is like ketchup. I remember when I was in college and I went to Ft Lauderdale for spring break the pizza was terrible. With that said, thirty years later I have had acceptable pizza in the West Palm Beach area where my in-laws now live. By the way Domino’s is ghetto pizza but my kids seem to love it. Where did I go wrong :confused:[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

*LOL*

Being 100% Italian (Sicilian , No less) :) with a mother from Brooklyn and live 20 minutes from New Haven . I am incredibly spoiled when it comes to pizza . Pepe's , Sally's , Modern, Zuppardi's, Roseland . All of them home runs .

The only exposure to "Chiicago style" pizza I ever had was "UNO" which is good for a "Chain" pizza place. Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Ceasars.... I don't even consider them food , let alone pazza :(

Cruise ship pizza , is a nice snack , but its nothing I would stand outside in the cold waiting to get in for.

Pizza chains are like Me Donalds, make everything taste the same throughout the USA, it works. However real pizza lovers have got to try the local pizza whereever they go. While outside of New Orleans I had local pizza served with red beans and rice. Try the Princess pizza and make your own call.

[QUOTE=babyher;31112561
Cruise ship pizza , is a nice snack , but its nothing I would stand outside in the cold waiting to get in for.[/QUOTE]

I am a Princess cheerleader and a pizza lover of all kinds of crust, toppings, etc.

The pizza on Princess ships a couple of years ago was super good, in my opinion.

Something has changed -- on our last three cruises the pizza was close to uneatable.
The crust was akin to soggy pine bark that changed as it cooled to plywood and the toppings were sparse, especially the cheese. (is Princess using low fat or fake cheese? The pizza guys said they use what they get and dont know.)
The sauce has no flavor, no spices, seeds, etc. -- another change.

I really miss the pizza of the past :)

[quote name='babyher']*LOL*

Being 100% Italian (Sicilian , No less) :) with a mother from Brooklyn and live 20 minutes from New Haven . I am incredibly spoiled when it comes to pizza . Pepe's , Sally's , Modern, Zuppardi's, Roseland . All of them home runs .

The only exposure to "Chiicago style" pizza I ever had was "UNO" which is good for a "Chain" pizza place. Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Ceasars.... I don't even consider them food , let alone pazza :(

Cruise ship pizza , is a nice snack , but its nothing I would stand outside in the cold waiting to get in for.[/quote]

I have heard of Pepe's and I remember they were the most controversial inclusion in Alan Richman's Top 25 pizza places in the US. If you see the link after the list, there is a video where people trash that place. Of this list, I am a big fan of #5 Bob & Timmy's grilled pizza and #18 Al Forno. But Al Forno is a high end restaurant and the waits are as ridiculous as the prices. You Chicago guys have the #1 place.

[B]01. [/B]Great Lake (Chicago)
[B]02. [/B]Lucali (Brooklyn, NYC)
[B]03. [/B]Pizzeria Delfina (San Francisco)
[B]04. [/B]Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix)
[B]05. [/B]Bob & Timmy's (Providence, R.I.)
[B]06. [/B]Sally's Apizza (New Haven, Conn.)
[B]07. [/B]Tomato Pie (Los Angeles)
[B]08. [/B]Co. Company (Manhattan, NYC)
[B]09.[/B] Tacconelli's (Philadelphia)
[B]10.[/B] Totonno's (Brooklyn, NYC)
[B]11.[/B] Tarry Lodge (Port Chester, N.Y.)
[B]12.[/B] Frank Pepe (New Haven, Conn.)
[B]13.[/B] Luigi's "the Original" (Harrison Township, Mich.)
[B]14.[/B] Gialina (San Francisco)
[B]15.[/B] Buddy's (Detroit)
[B]16.[/B] Antica Pizzeria (Marina Del Ray, Calif.)
[B]17.[/B] A16 (San Francisco)
[B]18.[/B] Al Forno (Providence, R.I.)
[B]19.[/B] Galleria Umberto (Boston)
[B]20.[/B] Famous Joe's (Manhattan, NYC)
[B]21.[/B] Tomatoes Apizza (Farmington Hills, Mich.)
[B]22.[/B] Osteria (Philadelphia)
[B]23.[/B] Santarpio's (Boston)
[B]24.[/B] Niki's (Detroit)
[B]25.[/B] Una Pizza Napoletana (Manhattan, NYC)

[URL]http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2009/06/10/alan-richmans-top-pizzas-list-inspires-disdain-and-a-slap-at-frank-pepes/[/URL]

[quote name='Ljberkow']I have heard of Pepe's and I remember they were the most controversial inclusion in Alan Richman's Top 25 pizza places in the US. If you see the link after the list, there is a video where people trash that place. Of this list, I am a big fan of #5 Bob & Timmy's grilled pizza and #18 Al Forno. But Al Forno is a high end restaurant and the waits are as ridiculous as the prices. You Chicago guys have the #1 place.

[B]01. [/B]Great Lake (Chicago)
[B]02. [/B]Lucali (Brooklyn, NYC)
[B]03. [/B]Pizzeria Delfina (San Francisco)
[B]04. [/B]Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix)
[B]05. [/B]Bob & Timmy's (Providence, R.I.)
[B]06. [/B]Sally's Apizza (New Haven, Conn.)
[B]07. [/B]Tomato Pie (Los Angeles)
[B]08. [/B]Co. Company (Manhattan, NYC)
[B]09.[/B] Tacconelli's (Philadelphia)
[B]10.[/B] Totonno's (Brooklyn, NYC)
[B]11.[/B] Tarry Lodge (Port Chester, N.Y.)
[B]12.[/B] Frank Pepe (New Haven, Conn.)
[B]13.[/B] Luigi's "the Original" (Harrison Township, Mich.)
[B]14.[/B] Gialina (San Francisco)
[B]15.[/B] Buddy's (Detroit)
[B]16.[/B] Antica Pizzeria (Marina Del Ray, Calif.)
[B]17.[/B] A16 (San Francisco)
[B]18.[/B] Al Forno (Providence, R.I.)
[B]19.[/B] Galleria Umberto (Boston)
[B]20.[/B] Famous Joe's (Manhattan, NYC)
[B]21.[/B] Tomatoes Apizza (Farmington Hills, Mich.)
[B]22.[/B] Osteria (Philadelphia)
[B]23.[/B] Santarpio's (Boston)
[B]24.[/B] Niki's (Detroit)
[B]25.[/B] Una Pizza Napoletana (Manhattan, NYC)

[URL]http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2009/06/10/alan-richmans-top-pizzas-list-inspires-disdain-and-a-slap-at-frank-pepes/[/URL][/quote]

Just read the article you posted on Pepes . I have been going there for years and never had a pie there that tasted the way he described . The guy has been in business for like 80 years , and in the past few years has added about 5 locations. I don't think you do taht with sooty pizza *LOL*

[quote name='Kmkub']I understand perfectly. I don't really want to argue this. I grew up at Fox's Pub and Palermo's pizza and they always called it traditional Chicago-style, as did every other pizza place I ever went until the late 1980's, when the other stuff started to become more popular.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Pizza has always been a matter of personal taste.I live 3 blocks from Fox's Pub and rarely eat their pizza.My wife loves it though!

[quote name='Kmkub']LOL

Chicago style thin crust was NOT invented in New York. The New York crust is soggy, so you can fold it over taco style... it's also cut into pie-shapes, not squares. The first ever thin crust, Chicago style, cut in squares pizza is credited to Aurelio's, in (ahem) Chicago.

[URL="http://aureliospizza.com/about.php"][/URL][B][IMG]http://aureliospizza.com/images/pics/title-about.gif[/IMG][/B]

In 1959, Joe Aurelio Jr., at age 26, opened a small, 4 table restaurant on Ridge Rd. in Homewood, IL. In the early days, sales were driven by Joe's homecooked beef sandwiches, but as more people were exposed to his pizza, the concept began to take flight. Combining generations of family recipes with his innovative approach to pizza-making, Joe's recipe for success was born.[/quote]

Love Aurelio's -- There is one in Addison, 5 minutes from us.
nice thin crust, like a cracker. nothing beats a thin crust for our family.

DH & I are resolved to not find "Chicago Style" pizza anywhere else,,, though we do look on occasion - but have not had luck finding wafer thin, crisp crust, cut in squares.

I guess I've never thought of a cruise as a place to get good pizza, too many other good food choices to try.

to the OP -- I hear ya, and i'm sure you wont be satisfied.

Archived