Zaandam Oceanview Options

Houstonian66

Plan to cruise to AK Sept 2012 on the Zaandam. It looks like OV cabins are on decks 1-3 only. Any advice on which is best? Deck 3 is Promenade deck and I think we would rather not have people strolling by in front of our window. On the other hand, deck 2 may have noise from walkers above? Deck 1 may be too low for best view? Opinions wanted.

Thanks!

Earlier this summer we had 2702. That was our assigned room from Holland, it's all the way aft. Didn't notice any noise from walkers and we had a big deck outside our window, most of the time no one was out there as it does have a bit of a hum to it outside, went out there and had to smash my face to the window to see into the room even with the light on, they have a film on them. A little noisy once in a while from people opening and shutting the door to the deck. It's easy to get the deck above from there as well. But that room was a handicap room and was a bit bigger than the others, wider really. No one room connected to any sides of your room either.

Plan to cruise to AK Sept 2012 on the Zaandam. It looks like OV cabins are on decks 1-3 only. Any advice on which is best? Deck 3 is Promenade deck and I think we would rather not have people strolling by in front of our window. On the other hand, deck 2 may have noise from walkers above? Deck 1 may be too low for best view? Opinions wanted.

Thanks!

We had an OV room on the Promenade deck in September, and it was a great location, just a few steps from the deck. I checked out the window from the outside and you can't see in unless it's night and you have ALL the lights on and no drapes, and even then it's not too clear.

We've also been on main deck and never heard noise from the walkers above. Keep in mind, however, that although jogging is not allowed on the promenade deck due to cabins beneath, there are people who think the rules do not apply to them so you may sometimes hear them pounding along.

I like main deck near the center stairwell. Easy to get to outside on lower prom. Easy to go to any public area fore and aft. Midship low is more stable if the sea is rough. D cabins seem slightly larger than Cs on lower prom. If you choose Cs on lower prom stay away from areas under the galley. You might also look at the two outside aft cabins on navigation deck, I can't remember their alphabet designation.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade, although convenient to the outside deck, are noticibly smaller than the outsides on lower decks.

I agree with the advice to stay away from under the galley. That would be the area between the mid-ship and aft staircases.

Thanks!

When we were on the Zaandam for cruise to Hawaii we had an OV on the Promenade deck. No problem since during the day we were rarely in our cabin, even on sea days, and at night we closed the drapes. We loved being able to easily walk from our cabin out to the promenade deck. For AK it's even better since you'll easily be able to get to either side of the ship for the view.

I'd get a cabin there again in a heartbeat.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade, although convenient to the outside deck, are noticibly smaller than the outsides on lower decks.

I agree with the advice to stay away from under the galley. That would be the area between the mid-ship and aft staircases.

Not so. Our friends were in an OV on main deck, we were on the Lower Promenade and the cabins were identical. Both were mid-to-aft location. Maybe elsewhere on the deck they were smaller.

Not so.

You couldn't have measured. The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are shorter than the outside cabins on other decks; they are the same width. This makes an allowance for the walking deck outside.

As a matter of fact, the outsides on that deck are smaller than the large inside cabins directly across the passageway. Large inside cabins are otherwise smaller than the outside cabins by about 10 sq ft.

You couldn't have measured. The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are shorter than the outside cabins on other decks; they are the same width. This makes an allowance for the walking deck outside.

As a matter of fact, the outsides on that deck are smaller than the large inside cabins directly across the passageway. Large inside cabins are otherwise smaller than the outside cabins by about 10 sq ft.

No I don't normally travel with a tape measure. The cabins were identical.

No I don't normally travel with a tape measure. The cabins were identical.

You are totally incorrect on this, and are being unfair to those who are trying to make an informed decision.

But feel free to have the last word.

I was on the Zaandam on the Circle Hawaii Holiday cruise in an E OV cabin on the Dolphin deck, then again on the same ship this April on the Lower Promenade Deck, a C OV.

The Lower Promenade cabin was indeed a bit shorter, though all the other amenities, closet space, were the same. It really didn't hamper our experience. Still had a short sofa and a chair, just arranged differently. I did not enjoy the frequent clanging of the door to the promenade, though. Either people let the door bang behind them, or high winds caused it to open and shut... irritating in the early morning hours. And I do mean, early!

Thanks!

We have sailed on the Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam in Ocean View Cabins (Cat E & F) on both the main deck and the dolphin deck. Absolutely wonderful cabins. There was no noise from the walkers above our cabin and the views were outstanding from our dolphin deck window. I would go with the best priced cabin. Sometimes the main deck is priced slightly lower than the dolphin deck.

You are totally incorrect on this, and are being unfair to those who are trying to make an informed decision.

But feel free to have the last word.

Ruth, I can only speak from my own experience, and ours and our friends cabins were identical. Possibly it depends on the category. Even you likely has not been in every cabin on the ship.

We have sailed on the Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam in Ocean View Cabins (Cat E & F) on both the main deck and the dolphin deck. Absolutely wonderful cabins. There was no noise from the walkers above our cabin and the views were outstanding from our dolphin deck window. I would go with the best priced cabin. Sometimes the main deck is priced slightly lower than the dolphin deck.

Actually Dolphin deck is $70 cheaper than Main deck. Which deck is used for embarkation/disembarkation? Might get noisy on port days?

Let me add my experiences and support Ruth C's observations that promenade deck cabins are indeed smaller. Some do not even have the same amenities. We were on either the Zaandam or Volendam and the cabin was so small that the love seat was placed facing the foot of the bed rather than lengthwise and the space was so tight only one person could stand up in the cabin at a time. Though still smaller than the oceanviews on main and dolphin deck, the more midships promenade deck cabins are at least configured the same way and may appear to be similar in size. Check out the length of the couch, look for the table at the end of the couch or count the number of closets and you will discover the difference.

In our opinion on the R class ships we prefer a dolphin deck midships cabin (E or EE) -- size is great, cost is reasonable, locations quiet -- unless we can afford a veranda cabin -- in the case of a veranda on the R class, a guarantee for us is fine as any one satisfies.

...My question is where is the galley located on the Statendam . We are booked into a DA outside cabin (I think on main deck).

The galley is on Promenade Deck, between mid-ship and the aft staircase. If you are on Main Deck, then there is another deck in between.

Earlier this summer we had 2702. That was our assigned room from Holland, it's all the way aft. Didn't notice any noise from walkers and we had a big deck outside our window, most of the time no one was out there as it does have a bit of a hum to it outside, went out there and had to smash my face to the window to see into the room even with the light on, they have a film on them. A little noisy once in a while from people opening and shutting the door to the deck. It's easy to get the deck above from there as well. But that room was a handicap room and was a bit bigger than the others, wider really. No one room connected to any sides of your room either.

We were just today assigned 2704.

Any advice/suggestions/info for us on what to expect from a cabin so close to what you had in 2704?

Does the window actually look out onto a decK?

Can people actually look into your room?

What do you mean by "a bit of a hum to it"?

In 2704 your window looks out to the ocean not to a deck, but you are just steps away from the aft deck. It's a standard room not a handicap, (we were in that room visiting someone for a few minutes) so you have a tub, we had an oversized shower. The hum out on deck we did not hear in our room (I suspect it was engine noise). You should not hear the door noise to the deck as much as we did because your room was not on the same wall as the door as our room was.

In 2704 your window looks out to the ocean not to a deck, but you are just steps away from the aft deck. It's a standard room not a handicap, (we were in that room visiting someone for a few minutes) so you have a tub, we had an oversized shower. The hum out on deck we did not hear in our room (I suspect it was engine noise). You should not hear the door noise to the deck as much as we did because your room was not on the same wall as the door as our room was.

Excellent, thanks for the prompt reply.

Did you have any problem with motion sickness since the cabin is at the end of the ship?

How about noise from other cabins/passengers, decks above etc?

And how far are you from the elevators, laundromat etc?

Anything else you noticed that you think will be of interest would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a Cat E on the Zaandam for next summer. Glad to hear that was a good choice (it was also the best price of the OV's).

However, I read a review stating that the windows are really dirty and kind of hard to see out of clearly. Has anyone sailed her recently to confirm this?

(Maybe they'll clean the windows by next summer, I hope)

In my experience aboard ships, the windows get "dirty" from salt deposits from the ocean -- especially when the ship has been through some "seas".

When possible they hose down the windows to get rid of the salt -- but like cleaning my house, as soon as it is clean the ship goes out to sea again and back comes the salt. Possibly if we were to desalinate the ocean?

Seriously, however, the amount of salt does depend on your seas. The ability to clean the windows can be itinerary dependent. Category E cabins on Dolphin deck are well above the water line but but on the second or third decks up from the water line so they do get spray.

glutenhab so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We have not gotton motion sickness as of yet (after 4 crusies, and one was a transatlantic in rough seas). No noise for us from people (except the door banging once in a while to the outside). You are a bit of a hike to the laundry, not too bad, really. We went out to the deck and used the stairs to the above deck and walked it alot and used it to get to the elevators easier than the halls inside. That deck is a good place to watch the waves in the back without a lot of wind. Hope this helps.

Archived