NCL Pearl Vs golden Princess with kids

e050377

We are a family of 4 (myself, DH, DD 9, DS 8) going to Alaska next summer! We have traveled Princess (loved, but haven't been with kids), HAL (OK a bit too old for us, but the kids liked the best!), and RCCL (hated, but we were on an older ship that smelled horribly).

When we booked last month NCL was $1000 cheaper for a mini-suite for the 4 of us, so we booked them. We've never been on NCL and like the Freestyle concept (we don't mind paying for specialty restaurants if we choose to go). Recently I've been researching NCL and it seems people either love or hate it. Now Princess prices have come down to be equal to NCL and I am on the fence about switching. I like the idea of trying something new and if there are any price drops, we may be able to swing a full suite on NCL. On the other hand I am nervous because of all the reviews, especially one where they said NCL will be the smokers cruise line. I'm ok with smoking, but my son uses medical equipment and a lot smoke could damage it. Not a bit of smoke on deck or on a balcony, but if he sits in a smoke filled room.

The Pearl looks to be fun for the kids.

Should we go with Princess or try NCL?

We did Princess last year and my kids 9, 14 and 16 loved it. As to NCL can't say, but all things being equal a thousand bucks is a lot.

I'd make sure the destination is exactly the same, Glacier Bay? I'd pay an extra grand for glacier bay!

We are a family of 4 (myself, DH, DD 9, DS 8) going to Alaska next summer! We have traveled Princess (loved, but haven't been with kids), HAL (OK a bit too old for us, but the kids liked the best!), and RCCL (hated, but we were on an older ship that smelled horribly).

When we booked last month NCL was $1000 cheaper for a mini-suite for the 4 of us, so we booked them. We've never been on NCL and like the Freestyle concept (we don't mind paying for specialty restaurants if we choose to go). Recently I've been researching NCL and it seems people either love or hate it. Now Princess prices have come down to be equal to NCL and I am on the fence about switching. I like the idea of trying something new and if there are any price drops, we may be able to swing a full suite on NCL. On the other hand I am nervous because of all the reviews, especially one where they said NCL will be the smokers cruise line. I'm ok with smoking, but my son uses medical equipment and a lot smoke could damage it. Not a bit of smoke on deck or on a balcony, but if he sits in a smoke filled room.

The Pearl looks to be fun for the kids.

Should we go with Princess or try NCL?

We were on the Pearl a few years ago. I think my DD was 6 or 7 she loved the kids club. We could hardly get her to leave except to go swimming and eat,sometimes. Now I will say she is very independent. Always has been, when at daycare the other kids were crying for their mommies mine said "go mommy, go" I felt so loved....lol

They were kept busy and went to some shows that were kid friendly. Would have parades around the ship signing the mighty, mighty kids club. She had a blast.

We had no issue with the smokers, who I don't want to be around if I can at all help it.

Hope it helps, have a great time!

I've done NCL twice, and DCL, and prefer NCL, because of the freestyle concept. I don't want to have to dress up for dinner, and I want to eat when we're hungry (I remember really having to rush all the kids to get ready on DCL for our 6 pm seating - not fun with a bunch of young children). My kids liked the NCL kids clubs more than the DCL kids clubs, as well.

I am a bit biased but we loved the NCL Pearl to Alaska. The Freestyle concept worked especially well given the port times and excursions we chose. The NCL suites are wonderful but we were in an Aft Balcony for the 4 of us for this cruise and it was great.

We have yet to do Princess but we do always look at all cruise lines when we plan our vacation. NCL and freestyle dining works for our family.

Thank you to all. I love hearing the positives of NCL, as lately most things said have been negative! We have decided to stay with the Pearl. I am super excited to try a new cruise line. If we don't like it we'll go back to Princess after. We love to cruise and will have fun no matter what!

Thank you to all. I love hearing the positives of NCL, as lately most things said have been negative! We have decided to stay with the Pearl. I am super excited to try a new cruise line. If we don't like it we'll go back to Princess after. We love to cruise and will have fun no matter what!

That is the best attitude! I think that it is impossible to go wrong with this thinking. Have a great time.

I thought I would still jump in with my experience. We were on the Pearl last May. Alaska was incredible and we had an amazing vacation (and great weather!). However, I was very disappointed in the Pearl and NCL. We were not in a suite and that might have made a difference, but I kept comparing it to our experience on RCI, and NCL really came up short. Overall the level of service wasn't as nice, our cabin steward was bland if not neglectful (no towel animals for our kids!), we had cigarette smoke next door that ruined any time spent on the balcony, and my kids REALLY missed getting to know specific waiters. In fact we spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to follow one waitress who was amazing. The kids club was nice and I loved the wall of windows so that my kids could see the scenery while they were playing games.

I chose the Pearl because of the great rate we got, and I regret it. I will not sail on NCL again.

The poor service was my biggest complaint. You will probably get better service (and nice perks) in a suite and if you like the freestyle dining (we didn't), then the Pearl might work for you. Either way, know that you will have an awesome vacation because Alaska is breathtaking!

Archived