Atlantis with a 6 yr old? Need Ideas!

lds26

Hello fellow cruisers! I havent booked any excursions in Nassau for myself and my 6 yr old son so I am hoping that someone here could give me some input. I was kinda considering Atlantis but would be open to other ideas in Nassau. Last time we went we booked the Sheraton day pass and had considered that again but I have 'beach days' booked for Grand Turk and HMC prior to Nassau so maybe we could handle a tour or something different for Nassau. All ideas welcome.

We've done Atlantis (didn't book through the ship) and the Sheraton, and I don't know if I'd spend that $ with a 6 year old. It's HUGE, lots of walking, if you want to make the most out of it. Also, check height requirements for the bigger slides. How about the Blue Lagoon? That looks like a nice day, and not too intense.

Well you already have the "Atlantis" idea - my kids LOVE those slides. We started going there when they were 2 (I think) and the kids couldn't get enough of them. Back then, I used to put the youngest on my stomach and we used to float around the lazy river (not the rapids). They loved that! It is an expensive option though, so be prepared. The excursion is expensive (we booked direct with Atlantis). The food is expensive.

Another alternative is Blackbeards Cay Stingray Encounter. Its a private island. Yes, the stingrays are debarbed. And the kids and walk in and out of the water as THEY are comfortable.

The other one I see mentioned the most from moms of little boys (but I haven't tried it) is the Pirate Museum.

And yes, we've done Blue Lagoon as well.

Take it from me, the straw market is a scary place for a parent with a child. Unless you are very used to traveling in other countries and agressive vendors - don't take that option. :(

I would agree. I don't think the straw market is actually all that great. Besides, I think the OP posted the question because they want to get off the ship. ;)

OP If I were you I would take one of the suggestions Crusinmama made, probably going with Atlantis. Some people also walk from the ship to the British Colonial Hilton and get a day pass to use the pool/facilities there. I haven't done it, but that might be another option.

I always forget about BCH! Yes, that's another one! Its a short walk from the ship. Wasn't the cost something like $45 and included lunch? If you are interested in that one, check the Bahamas port of call board.

I have pictures of them all...

Blackbeards...

103.jpg

108.jpg

110.jpg

099.jpg

090.jpg

We did the Atlantis excursion through the cruiseline and it doesn't include the pool or water park area. It does tour the hotel and include the aquarium. Some have actually rented a room at the Comfort suites next door to Atlantis which gives you access to the pools/ water area.You may want to look into that.

Thank you all!!! I think stingray option looks amazing I didnt realize how shallow the water was so thats the plan for us!!

Yes, VERY shallow. You can see all of the adults sitting down in the water to feed the stingrays. They they put the snorkle gear on you and the kids can choose to paddle out and swim with them in a little deeper water. My oldest was probably 8 years old at the time, so she suited up to snorkle. My youngest was 4, so she was still a little unsure of snorkeling with them.

Ironically enough, when we went over to the open water/beach area side of Blackbeards and it was time for our lunch. She dove into the water and started chasing a WILD stingray in the water. :rolleyes::eek: Crazy kid!

I liked Blackbeards for KIDS because unlike Stingray City in the Grand Caymens, the kids can simply walk out when they have had enough and onto the beach when they get a little scared/unsure. It gets them comfortable for more adventurous excursions when they are older. :)

Blackbeards, I booked through the ship. It's a private island so I didn't want to chance it ;).

On my particular cruise its not offered so I emailed them directly hope that I can get a decent departure time but then again we are in Nassau for the entire day.

Crusinmama! I love the pics! I want to take a cruise NOW!!:p

I know! It's been 2 years since I've been in Nassau and I am missing it. :(

It makes me laugh when I hear people say "There is nothing to do in Nassau" :eek: HA!

On my particular cruise its not offered so I emailed them directly hope that I can get a decent departure time but then again we are in Nassau for the entire day.

Let me know what you find out about this option. I have never tried it this way.

ANOTHER option I totally forgot about but some friends of mine were talking about recently - swimming with the SEA LIONS! So if the stingray people don't get back to you, this is also held at Blue Lagoon.

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-sealion.php

• 2 weeks later...
We did the Atlantis excursion through the cruiseline and it doesn't include the pool or water park area. It does tour the hotel and include the aquarium. Some have actually rented a room at the Comfort suites next door to Atlantis which gives you access to the pools/ water area.You may want to look into that.

How was this option with kids? Was there much to look at? We're going in February, so it might be chilly for the water anyway, and it looks like my kids might not be able to do many of the slides at Atlantis anyway, so we were thinking of just doing the Aquarium stuff, but don't want it to seem like we're missing out on the other stuff. How long did it take and did they rush you through or could you go at your own pace?

How was this option with kids? Was there much to look at? We're going in February, so it might be chilly for the water anyway, and it looks like my kids might not be able to do many of the slides at Atlantis anyway, so we were thinking of just doing the Aquarium stuff, but don't want it to seem like we're missing out on the other stuff. How long did it take and did they rush you through or could you go at your own pace?

If you want to do this option, why not just save your money, take a taxi ($4-$5pp) or water taxi ($3pp each way) and head over to Atlantis and buy the tickets off of them - $16.

What is the cost through the cruise line - usually something like $54? Then you can go at your own pace. :D

It is REALLY easy - get off the ship, walk through the terminal and up to the "Transportation Desk" and tell them "We want to take a taxi/or water taxi to Atlantis" - they put you in a line with other cruise ship passengers and away you go with a driver or guide. No problems. We've done this at least 3 times. You walk with the driver/guide and they take you outside the terminal and past the other Nassau people who may want your business. ;) In other words, they protect you. :p

When you are ready to come back, you walk outside the hotel and tell the concierge/baggage guys - we want to go back to the cruise ship terminal - easy peasy, they wave a taxi over and in a blink of an eye, a taxi is there and you are on your way back.

I've cruised to Atlantis twice with my now 6 1/2 year old. When she was 5, we enjoyed the dolphin encounter and the aquarium area of Atlantis. She ran into to resort kiddie pool area and quickly made friends as I relaxed with a drink poolside. The last time, just this past august, we had the best tome ever in the lazy river at Atlantis. It was just her & I with the beautiful sunshine and crystal clear water, what a great time we had !

If you want to do this option, why not just save your money, take a taxi ($4-$5pp) or water taxi ($3pp each way) and head over to Atlantis and buy the tickets off of them - $16.

What is the cost through the cruise line - usually something like $54? Then you can go at your own pace. :D

It is REALLY easy - get off the ship, walk through the terminal and up to the "Transportation Desk" and tell them "We want to take a taxi/or water taxi to Atlantis" - they put you in a line with other cruise ship passengers and away you go with a driver or guide. No problems. We've done this at least 3 times. You walk with the driver/guide and they take you outside the terminal and past the other Nassau people who may want your business. ;) In other words, they protect you. :p

When you are ready to come back, you walk outside the hotel and tell the concierge/baggage guys - we want to go back to the cruise ship terminal - easy peasy, they wave a taxi over and in a blink of an eye, a taxi is there and you are on your way back.

Well that's definitely a big cost savings!! Love that. :) And it does sound pretty easy. I'll admit that I'm more timid of the unknown plans with kids than I was before I had them. ;) Do you think it would be fun to just do the aquarium stuff?

I'm a big proponent of Ardastra Zoo and Gardens...

I usually post a picture of my kids with a bunch of flamingos from a few years back:

199496_1014210324680_1507726387_30039161_7563_n.jpg

but we just got back from a cruise aboard the Oasis - first stop, Nassau... so, out of nostalgia, we went to Ardastra again.

379449_2568953512288_1507726387_32771713_159339317_n.jpg

317710_2568973632791_1507726387_32771721_2131968194_n.jpg

317277_2568988793170_1507726387_32771729_586357285_n.jpg

Ardastra is a ship excursion, usually... but we did it independently. It's a $4/pp cab ride 2 miles west of the cruise terminal and a $16/adult $8/child entrance fee.

http://www.ardastra.com/

It's small, but the birds kept us engaged. There's also some domestic goats, parrots, lemurs, some sort of monkey, leopards.... but the highlight was the flamingos and lorie parrots.

I've cruised to Atlantis twice with my now 6 1/2 year old. When she was 5, we enjoyed the dolphin encounter and the aquarium area of Atlantis. She ran into to resort kiddie pool area and quickly made friends as I relaxed with a drink poolside. The last time, just this past august, we had the best tome ever in the lazy river at Atlantis. It was just her & I with the beautiful sunshine and crystal clear water, what a great time we had !

I concur.....atlantis is worth every penny for kids, and for the adults to relax while watching them.....we did the comfort suites thing and it worked well

Archived