Did Dawn Princess miss Napier??

Gee, our son is staff on the Dawn and we talked to him last night (well, it was this morning in Australia and New Zealand). He didn't indicate that they were deviating from their schedule. He knows Mom keeps the itinerary on the refridgerator and I'd like to think he'd tell me if there were any change;). So hopefully everything's OK and nothing's changed.

I just sent him a facebook message asking him about it.

He already answered! Apparently, they did skip Napier. They left the previous port (Wellington?) a few hours late (he didn't say why) so they're on their way to Tauranga-no Napier for the Dawn this trip.

From the Hawkes Bay Today site....

Briefly:

Ship visit off

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:54

Napier retailers awoke this morning to find the city quiet after the Dawn Princess, carrying a potential 1950 passengers and 900 crew, experienced mechanical difficulties while at sea and was not expected to dock at the Port of Napier.

The ship, on route from Wellington, had emailed the Napier i-SITE in the early hours of the morning of the problem, but the message was not picked up until after 8am, when staff arrived at work to greet the visitors.

Masonic Hotel events manager Ann Barrar said the potential loss of revenue was unfortunate and it was a disappointment for the Art Deco Trust and the whole community.

The much smaller cruise vessel, the Volendam, with 1440 passengers is still expected to arrive at 2pm tomorrow.

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/news/briefly-ship-visit-off/1150838/

Everytime I read something about Dawn Princess it's associated with Engine problems. Why do they continue to have these problems and why can't they fix them?Shame they missed Napier, it's a great port of call. The locals are so welcoming there.

Jilly:confused:

I think its because the Dawn Princess needs a Dry Dock!

Sounds to me she needs more than just a dry dock , where all they do is scrape and paint her bottom.....

perhaps it's time for a complete refit ...which would include a new engine.

Archived