Naughty Room

wezie

Really' date=' it's the security officers? Have never been to the naughty room or observed it but have always read it is the bar team, not the Nepalese security.

Jim, didn't look like Security in the pic you posted, either.

I do know that when you come back from port it's always the bar team that has the table after security who collects all the bottles of liquor to be returned on the last night. Isn't that the same in the naughty room?

:confused:[/quote']

I don't know who is actually in the naughty room but I would presume it's security running the xray machine.

I don't know who is actually in the naughty room but I would presume it's security running the xray machine.

The baggage scanners are operated by the Port before handed off to NCL on the ship. I suspect those that appear to have contraband are red tagged and put into separate container for NCL to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barb I have only seen the bar staff working the room. Ultimately security is responsible but the process is carried out by those that benefit from collecting smuggled booze. One bottle collected could translate into $20 in additional tips for the bar staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since the summer, if a bottle of wine is taken into any dining venue AND the corkage fee has been paid, the server takes possession of the "Corkage Paid" sticker and turns that in to receive a $5 bonus. They also doublecheck that the corkage was paid by looking at your account.

I am going to repost something that I had posted on Cruise Critic last year regarding corkage fees and the "Naughty Room."

When you walk through security prior to checking in for your cruise, there is a table set up with personnel who will either hold your wine or you pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee (charged to your shipboard account). This is if you are carrying on. I have seen people with two cases before and pay the corkage for each one of them. Personally, we have enough carry on stuff the way it is so we prefer to put the wine in checked bags.

If you try to bring aboard in your checked luggage and they find anything, you will get a note sent to your room to come and claim your luggage AND will be asked to open the suitcases where they are searched. This is referred to lovingly on Cruise Critic as the "Naughty Room."

You are given the option to have them hold all the wine, have them hold SOME of the wine and pay corkage on SOME or pay $15 per bottle for all of the wine. The charge is placed on your shipboard account. If you decide to have them hold some and three days later, you want a few more bottles you can make contact with the bar manager and pay the corkage then and have your bottles retrieved. Personally, I like to have all of my bottles in my room and have never done the latter method.

In the ports of call, there will be a table set up immediately after you walk through the security line. Bags will go through security and you will walk through the metal detector.

On our South American Sun cruise, they turned up the sensitivity of the metal detector so the foil around the neck of the wine bottle was discovered. Saw many people have to pull a bottle out of their pants including one old man. He tried to say that he had a knee replacement but he was frisked and there was the bottle.

In each instance, when you pay the $15, a white "Corkage Paid" sticker is applied to each wine bottle. You are free to drink it anywhere. If somehow, you have made it past all of these points and still don't have the little sticker on the bottle and go to a restaurant, you will be charged then. The staff is doublechecking against your onboard account to see that corkage has been paid. I have also been told to keep my receipt with me showing I signed for the corkage fee though I have never had to show it.

It used to be that you could simply take the sticker off of an open bottle and affix to another bottle if you had some that had made it through. (Hairdryer works great on taking off labels BTW). Those days are no more because the servers checking your account. As noted above, the servers are getting $5 from the corkage fee IF they can turn in the sticker.

If you allow me to digress:

On the Pearl in 2009, one suitcase made it through to our room with two bottles of wine. Two suitcases did not make it and we were summoned to the "Naughty Room," which was kind of hard to find. We went to Guest Relations and she said to check back with them after 7 p.m. or to have our butler check for us. I indicated that we received a letter. "Oooohhhhhhhhhh, you got a letter!" Then she proceeded to tell us exactly where to go.

First time this had ever happened and we didn't know what to expect. We were sent to an inner stairwell/elevator area with suitcases sitting around. There was the beverage/bar manager as well as bartenders/servers who asked us to find our luggage. They donned disposable gloves and put each suitcase up on a table. Suddenly, bottles of wine showed up! We had a total of six between the two suitcases and we didn't mind paying the corkage as these were extremely nice bottles of wine.

The bar manager was pretty cool about the whole thing and we joked about "where the party will be." Another lady was in the room at the same time as us and only had one bottle -- tried the "my travel agent sent this to me." She had to pay the $15.

In the elevator ride back to our floor, the lady remarked that her two traveling companions didn't get letters but she did. Her travel agent had not sent the bottle after all.

And, yes, we did have to haul our suitcases back to our room.

On the Sky last year, we had six bottles in our checked bags and each one was detected. The "Naughty Room" this time was a conference room area. We received a letter in our room while we were gone to the muster drill. Said to arrive at 5 p.m. We went at 4:40 and everything was already set up. Pointed out my suitcases and told the guy I had wine in them and wanted to pay the corkage. The bar manager had a list detailing what was seen in the suitcases via X-ray. He knew six bottles! I saw him do this with others also -- bottles of liquor. Those were held.

They won't open your luggage without you being there.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth the hassle at the start of your cruise, especially when you can order a bar set up of liquor for your cabin prior to your cruise and it will be waiting for you when you get to your cabin.

How do you order the bar set up of liquor? I went on their web site and could not find anyplace to order.

What a bunch of crybabies! "If you get away with it you are stealing!" Not really, I paid for it. "Ncl makes its money off the alcohol." Jeez and here I was under the impression the two and a half grand I just paid for my room is how they made money silly me! Ncl makes plenty of money, the occasional person who might actually get away with this is not going to make them go bankrupt. Considering they just jacked up their fees im going to go out on a limb to say they arent hurting. Tell me something, I just paid a ridiculous amount of money to go back again next May, so since the gas is going down and and they say will to almost two eighty or there abouts, do you think I will get a refund on the portion that I paid to cover what they claimed was a necessary charge due to fuel increases? Im going to guess no, so the thirty bucks I might spend to get something on board as compared to the three hundred I just gave them for no reason evens out in my book!

What a bunch of crybabies! "If you get away with it you are stealing!" Not really, I paid for it. "Ncl makes its money off the alcohol." Jeez and here I was under the impression the two and a half grand I just paid for my room is how they made money silly me! Ncl makes plenty of money, the occasional person who might actually get away with this is not going to make them go bankrupt. Considering they just jacked up their fees im going to go out on a limb to say they arent hurting. Tell me something, I just paid a ridiculous amount of money to go back again next May, so since the gas is going down and and they say will to almost two eighty or there abouts, do you think I will get a refund on the portion that I paid to cover what they claimed was a necessary charge due to fuel increases? Im going to guess no, so the thirty bucks I might spend to get something on board as compared to the three hundred I just gave them for no reason evens out in my book!

I couldnt agree more!!! I couldnt be bothered to read all the comments but have had this argument befor on Rccl board. Some people will think its stealing, or that booze smugglers are cheap, just ignore them and take your rum runners and enjoy yourself. Im sure ill be having more fun than the people who worry about what other people are doing. Someone had the cheek to tell me I shouldnt cruise, just because I like a sneaky drink on the balcony. unbelievable!

If you watch Cruise, Inc., which still comes on from time to time, you will find out how finely the line is between profit and loss is for each sailing and yes, it often comes down to total bar sales. But let me ask you this- if what you are doing is right why do you feel the need to justify what you are doing?

I guess I dont have to justify anything to anyone and I dont actually care . each to his own. Its too early to start an argument, I wish everyone a happy cruise anyhow and Ive promiced myself Im gonna stay away from threads regarding booze Lol

• 2 months later...

I'm going on my first cruise next month (NCL Epic) and was wondering about the multiple posts on this thread mentioning women with irons. Are you talking about hair irons, like flat irons? They are not mentioned on NCL's FAQ under what you're not allowed to bring on board (or is any other type of iron, like a...clothes iron). Can someone clear this up?

Sorry, I have one more question. This is directly from the NCL site:

"Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind..."

It's hard to tell whether they're saying no intoxicating beverages or no beverages at all. I was under the impression that bringing soda or other drinks was not allowed. Is that not the case?

Sorry, I have one more question. This is directly from the NCL site:

"Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind..."

It's hard to tell whether they're saying no intoxicating beverages or no beverages at all. I was under the impression that bringing soda or other drinks was not allowed. Is that not the case?

You may bring non-alcoholic drinks onboard. I would suggest in a carry-on but I've heard of some people slapping a luggage tag on a case of water/soda and letting the porter take it. The FAQ should read "intoxicating liquors or beverages" without the comma. Should they change it for clarity's sake? Yep. Will they? Probably not.

I'm going on my first cruise next month (NCL Epic) and was wondering about the multiple posts on this thread mentioning women with irons. Are you talking about hair irons, like flat irons? They are not mentioned on NCL's FAQ under what you're not allowed to bring on board (or is any other type of iron, like a...clothes iron). Can someone clear this up?

Hair irons (flat/curling) are allowed. What's not allowed is clothes irons.

Tom

I heard once you are on singled out as being Naughty , you are placed on the Naughty List for all future cruises

You might end up on a list for future cruises if you remove the DSC without cause, possibly maybe as a guess, but I doubt they would keep track of this. (You might be thinking about Customs. You can bet they keep track of travelers from trip to trip.)

You might end up on a list for future cruises if you remove the DSC without cause, possibly maybe as a guess, but I doubt they would keep track of this. (You might be thinking about Customs. You can bet they keep track of travelers from trip to trip.)

Would that be like the no fly list except a no cruise list?

Would that be like the no fly list except a no cruise list?

Probably more of just a heads up to the crew (and I am not even sure such a list exists at all)(although I have heard of passengers from being barred from sailing with a certain cruise line, but their behavior was very egregious).

Archived