Sydney hotels day use rooms

licra

Hi We are booked on the Voyager of the Seas in Dec 2012 and as i don't have a lot of spare time and there are 7 of us travelling, i am already thinking of flights to Sydney. My question is as we cannot fly down on the day before departure we will need to fly on departure day, so should i book an early (5.00am QLD time) flight so that in the event of airline strikes etc as is prone to happen every year at Xmas we are in SYD in plenty of time for the 11.30pm departure, if so and we are on time what would do we do for 12-15hrs (remembering i have 3 kids in tow and our early start)before departure assuming checkin etc will not start till the afternoon at the earliest:confused:

Does anyone know of a hotel prefferably close to the OPT that has day use rooms

Please feel free to tell me if i am stressing to much to early.:D

Lisa

Hi We are booked on the Voyager of the Seas in Dec 2012 and as i don't have a lot of spare time and there are 7 of us travelling, i am already thinking of flights to Sydney. My question is as we cannot fly down on the day before departure we will need to fly on departure day, so should i book an early (5.00am QLD time) flight so that in the event of airline strikes etc as is prone to happen every year at Xmas we are in SYD in plenty of time for the 11.30pm departure, if so and we are on time what would do we do for 12-15hrs (remembering i have 3 kids in tow and our early start)before departure assuming checkin etc will not start till the afternoon at the earliest:confused:

Lisa

Can you fly down on the evening of the day before?

That would be more relaxing than taking a 5.00 am flight (4.15 am check in).

Strikes are hard to predict.:)

The cruises we have taken from Sydney usually depart at 4pm to 5pm and we fly down the same morning departing Brisbane shortly after 8am (if NSW is on daylight saving time) or 9am (in winter). If there is a strike and flights are cancelled altogether, your very early flight would suffer the same fate as an 8am one.

Lisa

Lisa even tho the cruise departs at 11pm you should still be able to embark by 11.30am -12 noon and go onboard and have lunch....you should be able to get off the ship again and roam around the city if you wish

you may not be able to go to your cabin till after 1.30 to drop off your carry on luggage

Hi, I am on the Dawn Princess on 28 November cruise. I paid months ago for our tickets flying Quantas, where I also planned to fly on the date of my departure to transfer to the ship from the airport. At the time there was not strike action occurring and I choose Quantas because I thought they were reliable with a good reputation. I was trying to save money to give us more spending money lol.

A couple of weeks ago I went to my TA to see what could be done as I was concerned that the strike action would continue into the Christmas holidays, the answer was change my flights and pay a fee, or loose my money and repurchase through another airline (I bought budget tickets). If I wasn't prepared to do that then the advice was to hold tight. That 7 weeks was a long time in airline time and it could all be over. I was also informed if there was a problem ie: cancelled flights that Quantas would then reschedule us at their cost, but it would be a last minute option. We would then have to cover accommodation and claim it on our insurance (assuming that changed it to the day before the cruise). I was also told that if I changed my plans before that time then it was at my expense and not covered by our insurance.

After much discussion with my husband, I decided to change our flights to the Sunday, the day before, pay the $187 in fees, and pay for accommodation. This at least gives me some peace of mind as it gives us time if they decide to strike on the Sunday, we have time to act.

Although I was unhappy with the additional expenditure, for me I would be extremely upset to say the least if we missed this cruise, and my annual leave time would be wasted. I doubt we will ever fly Quantas again.....:(

In answer to your question, I would suggest that you contact hotel directly, or perhaps just hire a mystery room from wotif. There are some cheap deals available. Prior to booking I telephoned hotels directly to see if we could leave our luggage with them, as check in is usually 3pm, and we will be arriving at 10am. They all said that it wouldn't be a problem. But of course if you purchase a mystery room, you won't know the hotel until after you have parted with your cash. I don't know if hotels will rent you a day room but if you don't ask you don't get. It would all depend on availability of rooms I guess. All the best, hope your cruise is fantastic :)

I doubt we will ever fly Quantas again.....

All domestic airlines can have issues; Virgin Blue had a number last year e.g. computer failures and Tiger was off for a couple of months earlier this year.

The main thing is to have a back-up plan or contingency; however, Qantas will treat people better in case of issues than their cheaper competitors do, where you may be on your own.

We stick with Qantas because we have found them to be the most reliable. We found that nearly all our Virgin flights (and there have been many) have been late, often an hour or so. We have even had a couple of flights cancelled because there weren't enough people booked on them. Yes - they put us on the next flight, but we had to sit at the airport for a few hours.

Archived