Flooding in the Cinque Terre

nparmelee

For those who haven't heard yet and were planning on visiting the Cinque Terre soon, there has been major flooding there and Monterooso and Vernazza are being evacuated by sea. It could be weeks before they can even begin cleaning up. One link - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k4905600-Terrible_storm_in_northern_Italy-Italy.html

This is such sad news for those of us who love Cinque Terre and particularly Vernazza.

Thank you for the TA link; there's lots of good information there and some further links to videos and photos.

We are praying for the safety of all those involved and hope for a successful recovery from this disaster.

This is just awful news. Such a beautiful area. I can't imagine that much rain coming down and causing those flash floods. My thoughts and prayers are with all the residents of the area, and especially for those in Vernazza who made me feel so welcome during my stay.

The latest news, in English, lists six dead and several towns significantly damaged: \http://ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/english/2011/10/27/visualizza_new.html_666825075.html

Later reports (in Italian: http://genova.repubblica.it/cronaca/2011/10/28/news/borghetto_morte_nel_fango_recuperato_il_corpo_di_un_uomo-24012420/?ref=HRER2-1) now list seven dead.

If the Cinque Terre is not accessible suggest staying in La Spezia and use bus # P to Portovenere (30 minute frequency) cost a few Euros each way, travel time 1/2 hour .

Portovenere is a very attractive town on the coast itself . From here you can take a ferry departing 1000 & 1100 to Cinque Terre towns which are accessible by sea . Also from here ferries to the townships of the Gulf of Poets.

Check ferry schedules on arrival in La Spezia or Portovenere.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who might want to contribute in a tangible way to the rebuilding of Vernazza, check out the SaveVernazza.com website.

Also, Facebook has a Save Vernazza page with many photos of the flood aftermath as well as the ongoing efforts to clear out the mud and uncover the stores along Via Roma which were buried in mud up to their 2nd stories. The damage is just unbelievable.

Townspeople are still not back in their homes. The only people permitted into the town are workers with official permits.

Archived