US dollars for onboard account?

Would there be any advantage in using US dollars for my onboard account on Radiance Of The Seas? Or would it be just the same to use aussie dollars?

Your thoughts would be appreciated....

Also, has anyone had any trouble finding ATMs in any of the New Zealand ports....just wondering if I should be taking some NZ dollars with us as well.

Also, has anyone had any trouble finding ATMs in any of the New Zealand ports....just wondering if I should be taking some NZ dollars with us as well.

I will leave the US$ question to someone with more currency market know how than I possess. On NZ dollars, we did buy some at our bank before the cruise - our first port was Bay of Islands and we had booked an AM cruise to the Hole in the Rock - came in handy at the island stop for drinks and souvenirs. Some people are aghast at the fees banks charge for overseas ATM withdrawals, even from debit acounts - if this is something of concern you can avod this by taking the cash with you and keeping it in the cabin safe. You will find ATMs readily available in shopping areas. One hint - avoid exchanging money on board - especially if you are changing AUD into something other than US$ and even then watch the rates - they are NOT competitive. On HAL we were charged two exchange fees - one for purchasing US$ and then another for purchasing NZ$ - some years ago and the practice may no longer apply.

Colleen

It might be simpler to charge your on-board account in US dollars and pay with your credit card. But you must stipulate when you board that you want to be charged in US$ so your bank will do the exchange at the current exchange rate. If you allow the ship to do the exchange it will be at a really lousy rate and cost you a lot. :)

Alternatively exchange your AUD for US$ (probably order at the Post Office) and put the cash down on your account on board. The only disadvantage is that yu don't really know now how much money you will need. If there is extra to charge on your credit card, once again, make sure your bank does the exchange to AUD, not the ship.

Agree with Aust Traveller. This is what we do though, especially seeing the dollar is so high atm ($1.07 today). We work out the cost of our shore tours, add some for onboard purchases like perfumes, drinks etc. Then we order US$ online through Australia Post, to be picked up from nearest PO. Australia post do not charge a commission, the rates are excellent. The banks all charge an extra processing fee. Then we sign the bit that Aust Trav suggested. We pay most of our onboard account as we go, in the US$, leaving a minimal amount left (if any) to be processed on the cc. We still had some US$ left from last time. Just remember, the exchange rate is very good for us atm. I would get cash.

Jen

DO NOT let the ship convert your onboard account to AUD. The ships set their own rate at the beginning of the season which has no comparison to the prevailing rate. Pay by ccard stipulating DO NOT CONVERT and let your bank convert when the charge get there or buy US dollars and pay in cash onboard.

Agree with Aust Traveller. This is what we do though, especially seeing the dollar is so high atm ($1.07 today). We work out the cost of our shore tours, add some for onboard purchases like perfumes, drinks etc. Then we order US$ online through Australia Post, to be picked up from nearest PO. Australia post do not charge a commission, the rates are excellent. The banks all charge an extra processing fee. Then we sign the bit that Aust Trav suggested. We pay most of our onboard account as we go, in the US$, leaving a minimal amount left (if any) to be processed on the cc. We still had some US$ left from last time. Just remember, the exchange rate is very good for us atm. I would get cash.

Jen

I would pay with a 28 degrees credit card - no annual fee - no processing fee - just straight conversion from US$ to AUD$. At present, that means less in Aussie dollars than you paid in US dollars.

However, as previously stated, you must advise the cruise line that your bank is to do the conversion. (DO NOT let the cruise company do the conversion, at inferior rates.)

In my experience, Australia Post rates aren't the best. That is how they make their money.

...Also, has anyone had any trouble finding ATMs in any of the New Zealand ports....just wondering if I should be taking some NZ dollars with us as well.

Every time we have travelled to NZ we have mostly drawn our spending money from ATM's. There have been plenty of Westpac and ANZ ATMS to choose from which is fortunate for us because they are the banks that own us. :rolleyes:

While the NZ Westpac and ANZ's are subsidiaries of the Australian companies they appear to share access to accounts as I am able to transact direct to my savings accounts and I am even able to check balances (albeit the advice is given as NZD$ equivalent).

I will often change a few hunded dollars before I leave to ensure I have some spendings for a taxi, coffee or meal before I can hit a bank.

On my recent Radiance cruise I ticked the cash only for my onboard spending.We did receive a note asking for our credit card just in case we went under the $500 balance that RCI states must be in credit.Also,by paying with cash your account has to be settled by midnight which means that if you want a drink or two after midnight on the last night you won't be served.

Regards Elaine.

Some great advice...thank you all. Will be purchasing some US dollars from the post office tomorrow and will definately remember to sign for conversion through the bank. Also, I hadn't read the part about having to be $500 in credit on the account with cash so that's handy to know as well.

If you dont want to carry much cash, a Travelex Cash Passport card is also excellent. We use them when travelling as we can buy the currency when the exchange is good and wait for the trip. The commission is far less than the bank (but not as good as the post office of course). They are great if you are not just cruising (so dont have a safe in your room on all occasions)

For example I will be taking some NZ $ in cash and some US dollars on the cash passport card, withdrawing from the onboard ATM and paying my Seapass every few days. Then the last night I leave to the credit card.

Did I confuse you?????

Raina

:)

If you dont want to carry much cash, a Travelex Cash Passport card is also excellent. We use them when travelling as we can buy the currency when the exchange is good and wait for the trip. The commission is far less than the bank (but not as good as the post office of course). They are great if you are not just cruising (so dont have a safe in your room on all occasions)

For example I will be taking some NZ $ in cash and some US dollars on the cash passport card, withdrawing from the onboard ATM and paying my Seapass every few days. Then the last night I leave to the credit card.

Did I confuse you?????

Raina

:)

Thanks Raina, that sounds like a great idea...I didn't even know they had ATM's on board!

Regards,

Sharon

Archived