2011 thread - Bringing water, juice and soda with you

Shalie

Hello,

Under NCL's frequently asked questions, it says "Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms,..."

Does this mean you can not take alcoholic beverages or bottled drinks in general? Our 1st cruise was on Royal Caribbean. We packed single serving bottles of cranberry, orange and pineapple juice. As NCL's soda package seems outrageous, we would also like to bring Coke.

I have heard of people checking whole cases of water. My question there is worth it with the increased baggage fees and do you really trust airline baggage with a case of water? If not, is there a store near the Miami airport that sells cases of water? Our airline changed our tickets so we arrive in Miami at 9am. I assume we will have time to take a taxi if the store is close?

On that note, what is the earliest we can arrive at the ship? I found NCL's online info confusing.

Thank you,

Shalie

You can take all the water and soda onboard you want.

Many hear will argue the "tap" water onboard is better than bottled water. Who knows?

As to baggage fees, that can add up very quickly with the airlines these days.

Hello,

Under NCL's frequently asked questions, it says "Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms,..."

Does this mean you can not take alcoholic beverages or bottled drinks in general? Our 1st cruise was on Royal Caribbean. We packed single serving bottles of cranberry, orange and pineapple juice. As NCL's soda package seems outrageous, we would also like to bring Coke.

I have heard of people checking whole cases of water. My question there is worth it with the increased baggage fees and do you really trust airline baggage with a case of water? If not, is there a store near the Miami airport that sells cases of water? Our airline changed our tickets so we arrive in Miami at 9am. I assume we will have time to take a taxi if the store is close?

On that note, what is the earliest we can arrive at the ship? I found NCL's online info confusing.

Thank you,

Shalie

You can usually start processing in the terminal area about 10:30 and ship boarding as early as 11am. It will depend on how quick the previous passengers can get of the ship. The rooms then are available about 2 pm.

I won't argue that the water is better than bottled but I thought it was very good. We drink only filtered water at home and the water on the ship tasted equally as good to me. The biggest benefit is not having to lug heavy cases of water anywhere. The only drawback is it is hard to fill a water bottle from your cabin tab. We filled glasses that were in our cabin then poured them into our bottle. A wide mouth bottle would be easiest. You will be fine bringing on whatever water, juice and soda you want. DH got the soda pass but I used not getting one as as excuse for drinking more water which I don't do enough.

I'm sailing on the Gem next week and I'm thinking of bringing bottled water with me for the first time ever on a cruise. We're traveling with kids and I figured the water bottles will come in handy for shore excursions.

Excatly how do I bring a 24-pack of water? Do I just slap a luggage tag on it as-is and check it in? Do I need to pack it in luggage or a cooler or whatever?

just got off the jewel with my 6 kids. Took 1 big case of water and about 4 cases of soda. Just use clear packing tape and make sure it is sealed up real good. Put a NCL baggage tag on it. When we got to the pier I slipped the porter an extra 5 bucks and asked him to make sure it got to my cabin and yes it did!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the water and the soda.

Hello,

Thank you,

Shalie

Haven't read all the responses yet thus I am probably repeating what has been said, but here goes: you can bring all the water and soda you want onto the ship and yes, you can find a cab that will stop and let you do a little shopping before you board, but do not attempt to bring on any booze other than wine: you will have it convescated as soon as you walk on the ship or, if it is in your luggage count on making a trip to the "naughty" room. As for boarding, generally they open it up around 11 or 11:30 and you should be on by noonish. You can get into your cabins about 1:30pm.

I never bring anything to drink if I have to fly to the ship...two weeks ago on the Sun, I brought a rolling cooler (not that big) with water and pepsi in it..I put a luggage tag on it and they delivered to my room..very very convienent... My room steward kept it filled with ice each day...we did however emply the water in cooler in the morning...I figured the steward was busy enough and didn;t need any extra chores...we empied it into the shower.

Always nice to walk in your room after a hot port day and reach in the cooler and get an ice cold water or pepsi.....

The cooler was also useful for anything extra that we had when we left the ship...I bought liquor ( 3 bottles of baileys) and put them in the cooler, wrapped pajamas around them so they wouldn;t break and wheeled them to the car...

While you can bring all the water and soda aboard that you want, I really wouldn't bother with the water. I haven't been on a ship yet where the tap water didn't taste fine, particularly cold. Just have some refillable bottles (or buy a couple on the ship, still better than lugging water).

It's easy to bring soda aboard as others above have said. We duct tape a couple of 12-packs of cans to each other, slap an NCL luggage tag on, and write our cabin number on the box with a magic marker as a backup. We give this to the porter along with our other checked luggage.

When you embark, just ask your cabin steward to remove the "mini bar" stuff from the fridge, and you'll have a nice fridge for your water bottles and soda.

When you embark, just ask your cabin steward to remove the "mini bar" stuff from the fridge...

I never considered "mini bar" stuff. Both of prior cruises came with an empty fridge. Thank you for the tip.

Regards,

Shalie

Just a question out of curiousity to those that have brought on soda cans or bottled water:

Do you just throw them in your purse/bag and take them with you when you go to eat? Will the server's give you a cup of ice to put your soda in?

Also, is there a CVS or Walgreens near the port (walking distance would be best!)?

Just a question out of curiousity to those that have brought on soda cans or bottled water:

Do you just throw them in your purse/bag and take them with you when you go to eat? Will the server's give you a cup of ice to put your soda in?

?

i dont take the can into the dining room (its just a little tacky) just put your drink in a glass and take it to your table...you will see others walking around with drinks in their hands and they take them to the MDR.

There's nothing walking distance from the port. The port is on an industrialized island accessed by a bridge.

There is a Walgreens a few blocks from the entrance to the port, just south of Bayfront Park. The CVS is right across from the Park at Biscayne and 2nd. You can google these or check the websites of these stores for locations

There is a Walgreens a few blocks from the entrance to the port, just south of Bayfront Park. The CVS is right across from the Park at Biscayne and 2nd.

Hello,

How much is a taxi from the airport to NCL port? How much do the taxi drivers charge to wait while you run Wallgreens/CVS?

Also, can you carry your bag of groceries unto the ship or do they make you check it?

Regards,

Shalie

• 2 months later...
hello,

under ncl's frequently asked questions, it says "passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms,..."

does this mean you can not take alcoholic beverages or bottled drinks in general? Our 1st cruise was on royal caribbean. We packed single serving bottles of cranberry, orange and pineapple juice. As ncl's soda package seems outrageous, we would also like to bring coke.

I have heard of people checking whole cases of water. My question there is worth it with the increased baggage fees and do you really trust airline baggage with a case of water? If not, is there a store near the miami airport that sells cases of water? Our airline changed our tickets so we arrive in miami at 9am. I assume we will have time to take a taxi if the store is close?

On that note, what is the earliest we can arrive at the ship? I found ncl's online info confusing.

Thank you,

shalie

did you bring juices on board? We were planning on bring soda, but some juice would also be great.

Hello,

How much is a taxi from the airport to NCL port? How much do the taxi drivers charge to wait while you run Wallgreens/CVS?

Also, can you carry your bag of groceries unto the ship or do they make you check it?

Regards,

Shalie

A taxi to the port is around $25. I have no idea about the cost of waiting or if/how to carry groceries on board.

For the life of me I have no clue why someone would want to carry groceries onto a cruise ship unless they have a very unusual/special diet.

Archived