How easy is it to take a scooter off Jewel?

CT Cruise Lover

We rented a scooter for my husband to use on our upcoming cruise on the Jewel for the week of Thanksgiving. I'm wondering if there are shore excursions that can accommodate the scooter in Port Canaveral and Nassau. Any info. would be helpful!

I've seen persons in wheel chairs being assisted getting on or off the ships, but I can't ever remember seeing a scooter, other than just being used on the ships. With their small wheels, I would think they would have to be carried on or off disassembled. My neighbor uses on on cruises. If I see him today, I'll ask him how , or if, they do it.

You should be able to get off / on the ship in ports where you dock.

I would think that it would be difficult to find local excursions that can handle a scooter, but it is worth searching for that just in case there is. I think that you need to decide what you want to do in those ports first, and then search for an accessible transportation to that destination.

You might want to start by checking out the "disabled cruising board" here on CC: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I've seen persons in wheel chairs being assisted getting on or off the ships, but I can't ever remember seeing a scooter, other than just being used on the ships. With their small wheels, I would think they would have to be carried on or off disassembled. My neighbor uses on on cruises. If I see him today, I'll ask him how , or if, they do it.

Follow up: I asked my neighbor. He says he takes his scooter to the airport with him where the airlines transport it for free. He then has little trouble boarding the ship at the departure port or getting off or on the ship at ports along the way. He did say in a few instances some ramps do require assistance from crew members to help him over bumps or to prevent him from tipping. He said they are always quick to assist. He and his wife have never taken a tour in port because of possible difficulty with the scooter. He said if a tour advises "some walking required", he would not want to try with the scooter as that usually invloves irregular terrain or access. So, guess checking with each tour operator would be necessary to determine if a scooter would be possible. He did say that the ships don't wish for you to park the scooter in the hallway outside your cabin. He said the scooter does cramp a cabin a bit.

I cruise with my mom who uses a scooter. She is not able to walk at all.

Getting off the ship is not the problem. Once it is off is the problem.

Depending on where you are going there may be little or no accessibility. Some places for example will have no curb cut outs on the sidewalk. It is far too dangerous to drive the scooter on the street. Gravel, paths or uneven terrain is also a problem. Don't get anywhere near sand. You can get stuck and never get out. Also, remember scooters shouldn't get wet or be in the rain.

Cruise ship excursions generally will not accept a scooter as the bus does not have a lift on it for the scooter. Even if your husband is able to walk up the steps into the bus, the driver will not want to continually load and unload the scooter if it is put underneath the bus. This will slow the tour down not to mention the difficulty for the driver. Some excursions are in vans and will not have room for the scooter. Finding out the vehicle used on the excursion is near impossible as NCL is the middle man.

If you want to take the scooter on excursions you need to find independent excursions with vehicles that have lifts etc. These are not cheap or very easy to find. For more information on this you can go to the disabled cruise forum.

My advice is to use the scooter on the ship and not take it on shore. The only thing you will be able to do with the scooter is perhaps a little shopping in port but even that is limited if the stores have steps to get in and many stores just don't have the room for the scooter. My mom ventured out sometimes but would usually return in frustration because of accessibility problems.

Also, if you are renting a scooter for the first time may I suggest your husband practice before hand. At Walmart for example. Scooters can be dangerous if the driver is inexperienced and may cause injury to himself and others. Especially on a crowded cruise ship. Remember scooters have no brakes and can't stop on the dime.

Even though the cruise ship says you can't store your scooter out in the hallways many do it anyway. The reason being there are very few (around 20) handicapped accessible cabins. When my mom was still able to walk with her rollator we preferred to leave those cabins to those who needed them worse than us, like people confined to wheelchairs.

Have a great cruise.

Archived