Tundra Wilderness Tour in May

konyagiqueen

Hello, I am hoping one of you knowledgeable people out there will know the answer to this. We are doing a land tour with Princess beginning May 16 2012. We are currently booked on the NHT on May 18th in Denali as part of our tour package, but from all I had read it seemed like a very good idea to exchange it for the TWT. However I have also read that the TWT does not always run so early in the season, so resigned myself to the NHT.

Excursions have just opened - must have been in the last week as I was checking, and the TWT is listed but comes up as fully booked. Can this really be so, so quickly, or is this Princess's way of not running it because it is too early in the season? Either way I am sure we will love the tour, but want to know if it is worth checking for an opening.

Thanks everyone.

This year both the tours and shuttles were running to Tolkat on May 20th, the first day scheduled. It was snowing lightly near Polychrome (sp?) which kept the photo stop short, but we saw lots of wildlife throughout both directions of the trip.

Not sure if Princess will let you completely cancel the tour, but my dad and I really enjoyed taking the shuttle. In addition to being able to hike at Tolkat and take the next shuttle back, we got two different guides and buses less full than the tours.

Hello, I am hoping one of you knowledgeable people out there will know the answer to this. We are doing a land tour with Princess beginning May 16 2012. We are currently booked on the NHT on May 18th in Denali as part of our tour package, but from all I had read it seemed like a very good idea to exchange it for the TWT. However I have also read that the TWT does not always run so early in the season, so resigned myself to the NHT.

Excursions have just opened - must have been in the last week as I was checking, and the TWT is listed but comes up as fully booked. Can this really be so, so quickly, or is this Princess's way of not running it because it is too early in the season? Either way I am sure we will love the tour, but want to know if it is worth checking for an opening.

Thanks everyone.

Unless there is a change this year the TWT does not start until May 20. The most you can get is the Teklanika Tundra Wilderness Tour , which only goes 30 miles into the park. And "Princess" does not run anything in Denali Park. You can verify this directly http://www.nps.gov/dena The schedules for next year come out the end of this one, so keep checiking what is available.

Frankly with you coming all the way from the UK, I would not "resign" myself to anything. As an example, from Whittier you are looking at investing 10 hours by train to get there/back. As a suggestion- change your dates, look for another tour that is later, cancel the tour and go on your own or a private tour, head to other areas instead, etc etc etc.

We are on the same cruise tour. Princess doesn't have that tour just the one we are booked on. My travel agent is requesting that I be able to take the one through Alaska Tours. I did put the twt tour on the Princes excursion wish list. Maybe if enough of us request it, they may add it.

We are on the same cruise tour. Princess doesn't have that tour just the one we are booked on. My travel agent is requesting that I be able to take the one through Alaska Tours. I did put the twt tour on the Princes excursion wish list. Maybe if enough of us request it, they may add it.

If by same cruise tour, you mean same date, you are out of luck. Perhaps you didn't see Budget Queen's post, but check the Denali National Park website:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Summer - Bus service in 2012 will begin May 20, although the entire road is not accessible by bus until June 8.

Princess has nothing to do with when the park tours and shuttles begin. When you say Alaska Tours, exactly what tour are you referring to?

We are on the Princess Cruisetour that begins on May 26th in Anchorage. It is Off The Beaten Path # MB6. I was able to book the TWT. It's for May 30th from 2pm to 11pm. I don't particularly care of the times, but from all that I read it will be worth it!!

However, now I'm a little nervous about how far up we will be able to go after reading Mytimes post about the entire road not being accessible until June 8th?? I know I have time to cancel if needed though.

We are on the Princess Cruisetour that begins on May 26th in Anchorage. It is Off The Beaten Path # MB6. I was able to book the TWT. It's for May 30th from 2pm to 11pm. I don't particularly care of the times, but from all that I read it will be worth it!!

However, now I'm a little nervous about how far up we will be able to go after reading Mytimes post about the entire road not being accessible until June 8th?? I know I have time to cancel if needed though.

There shouldn't be any problem, although you can't always trust Mother Nature. The "entire" road being referred to is beyond where the TWT ventures.

There shouldn't be any problem, although you can't always trust Mother Nature. The "entire" road being referred to is beyond where the TWT ventures.

Yes and no. Last season all TWT buses went to Stony Overlook, mile 61, even when the Mountain was not visible. So through May 31st the TWT will certainly only go to mile 53 (Toklat) and no further.

So, in your opinion is it worth just going to Tolkat or should I just stick with the NHT? Do you make it to Polychrome Pass? I was told that I have to get to Polychrome Pass. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!!!

You won't get to Polychrome pass without doing so. In my opinion, the NHT is completely worthless. For the life of me, I can NOT accept, spending at least 6 hours one way to get there from a Whiittier cruiseship, 10 hours if on the "Direct to Denali " train, and NOT even getting into the park. Why even spend your valuable time there??

BudgetQueen, So you're saying that I will get to Polychrome Pass on the TWT? I do NOT plan on the the NHT! I haven't heard anything good about it.

We're not arriving from Whittier. We're going from McKinley Lodge to Denali Lodge. It's an hour coach ride to the train and then train from there. The train ride is from 11:20am to 3:45pm. It's long but it's a train ride. I think it will be fun!!

Thanks!!!

BudgetQueen, So you're saying that I will get to Polychrome Pass on the TWT? I do NOT plan on the the NHT! I haven't heard anything good about it.

We're not arriving from Whittier. We're going from McKinley Lodge to Denali Lodge. It's an hour coach ride to the train and then train from there. The train ride is from 11:20am to 3:45pm. It's long but it's a train ride. I think it will be fun!!

Thanks!!!

Here is a map: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Road-Map-(rev2-13-09)-web.jpg

Do a search on Alaska Tours and you will see what i'm talking about.

Really...to explain something to you I have to do a search and try to figure out what you are talking about? I had already done a search, and thus the question. So I will assume that you are talking about the TWT, listed here: http://www.alaskatours.com/denali_national_park/road_tours.htm?SessID=45961509-646F-40AC-BE66-61D25FC152A6 and that you want to take it May 18.

It doesn't matter who sells you the ticket...Princess, Alaska Tours, or the man in the moon...it's the same tour, and you won't get 53 miles into the park unless the company that runs the tours http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx in concert with the park, changes the dates.

Do a search on Alaska Tours and you will see what i'm talking about.

Guess you missed this part on their website: "Note: At the beginning and the end of the season, the tour will be shorter due to weather and road conditions."

really...to explain something to you i have to do a search and try to figure out what you are talking about? I had already done a search, and thus the question. So i will assume that you are talking about the twt, listed here: http://www.alaskatours.com/denali_national_park/road_tours.htm?sessid=45961509-646f-40ac-be66-61d25fc152a6 and that you want to take it may 18.

It doesn't matter who sells you the ticket...princess, alaska tours, or the man in the moon...it's the same tour, and you won't get 53 miles into the park unless the company that runs the tours http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx in concert with the park, changes the dates.

+1.

Guess you missed this part on their website: "Note: At the beginning and the end of the season, the tour will be shorter due to weather and road conditions."

At least they admit it, but I am guessing many will still miss this important sentence, unless it is listed with each tour option.

At least they admit it, but I am guessing many will still miss this important sentence, unless it is listed with each tour option.

It was on each TWT tour on that website. Even mentions about kids and car seats. The NOTE is DIRECTLY under the description of the tour BEFORE you get to the dates, the price or anything else.

It was on each TWT tour on that website. Even mentions about kids and car seats. The NOTE is DIRECTLY under the description of the tour BEFORE you get to the dates, the price or anything else.

Sounds like they are doing a good job of alerting their potential customers. Glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

As I have already posted, IF your TA books you on the tour through Alaska Tours, you WILL NOT get the full TWT because the ROAD ISN'T open and they won't be running the buses that far.

No amount of wishing or requesting will make it happen. Princess or Alaska Tours or anyone else has ANYTHING to do with access into the Park. As mytime53 posted, there is a SCHEDULE and it is controlled by the National Park Service.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think by some miracle that Alaska Tours will be allowed "special access" past what the Park allows. And OBVIOUSLY, your TA can't or didn't read the fine print.

As I have already posted, IF your TA books you on the tour through Alaska Tours, you WILL NOT get the full TWT because the ROAD ISN'T open and they won't be running the buses that far.

No amount of wishing or requesting will make it happen. Princess or Alaska Tours or anyone else has ANYTHING to do with access into the Park. As mytime53 posted, there is a SCHEDULE and it is controlled by the National Park Service.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think by some miracle that Alaska Tours will be allowed "special access" past what the Park allows. And OBVIOUSLY, your TA can't or didn't read the fine print.

You did a great job explaining. Hopefully the poster will finally get that the Park Service controls what day each tour will begin, not a travel agency.

You did a great job explaining. Hopefully the poster will finally get that the Park Service controls what day each tour will begin, not a travel agency.

I doubt it. There was someone who posted on the forum a few months ago about the TWT going to Toklat during the Road Lottery and insisted it operated. It took a multitude of posts by me and others to finally convince the OP it really only went to Tek.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1457344&highlight=road+lottery

I thought it was kind of funny that they really didn't want the truth, just wanted what they wanted to hear :D

It is extremely difficult for some people to understand that just because the cruise tours run does not mean Denali National Park is entirely open.

They see the pretty pictures online and in the brochures and don't understand how things work in Alaska.

Sometimes it feels as if we are talking ourselves blue in the face and some people still don't believe us.

Archived