Cruise Terminal Adelaide

I was embarrassed this morning at my home towns Cruise Terminal Outer Harbour Adelaide, what a shambles.

There i was to pick up my son travelling Freo to Adelaide on the Pacific Sun, i arrived at the gate and said where do i park to pick up, the reply,"park on the main road here"!!!

So i did and watched as many elderly/frail people with suitcases and hand luggage, not to mention familes and children, and diy trippers walking out the gate. Here where 4 lanes of traffic along with the median strip is where people are supposed to get into and out of on drop off from the cars. Don't forget the coaches coming out the same gate going on tours, how dangerous is this.

I have just written to 6 different goverment ministers, the local paper and the tourism board. I mean its only the PS, what about when a ship 3 times the size arrives, inside the perimeter fence are hundreds of cars, sureley a small area should be put aside for pick up drop off.

Rant over

Stevo

2177979160102786229S600x600Q85.jpg

Good on you Stevo.

Keep that rant going. There is plenty of room inside and Adelaide has a fabulous terminal building, one to be proud of......

We had a similar thing in Auckland when they redeveloped the wharf here. If we had not jumped up and down the public would have had no where to farewell a ship. As it is it is pretty small, but at least its close to the ships.

Sometimes the powers that be have no idea what really goes on.

AHHHH the piccie you have posted is actually now full of cars , (you can see a few in the piccie)waiting to delivered/picked up, this is exactly the area where it should be segregated, around the tree would be ideal, for shade!! The gate i mentioned is to the right of the piccie

Stevo

AHHHH the piccie you have posted is actually now full of cars , (you can see a few in the piccie)waiting to delivered/picked up, this is exactly the area where it should be segregated, around the tree would be ideal, for shade!! The gate i mentioned is to the right of the piccie

Stevo

2adelaide.jpg

You can see the cars from the bridge cam..

All I can say is at least it's not a big white tent like some other place east of here I can mention!

But agree they need to get their parking/transport issue resolved.

When we boarded in Adelaide 18mths ago it was a shambles and we were in a Princess coach. no one even knew where the driver was to disembark us..eventually after travelling a few times around the parking area..we were deposited right out front of terminal......PERFECT!

I agree. Adelaide Shipping Terminal is a disgrace. It is pity really as the actual terminal building is relatively new but it is the immediate surrounds and restricted access to the wharf and terminal building itself that is the problem. This area has been taken up as a storage area for imported new cars which excludes access to visitors and disembarking or embarking passengers. Buses for ships' tours are allowed access but pick up and drop off of passengers is not. The controlling authority, Flinders Ports, needs to urgently re-assess its priorities. The State Government needs to remove its head from where the sun doesn't shine and take this anomaly on.

John

The State Government needs to remove its head from where the sun doesn't shine and take this anomaly on.

John

hm, yes, well, its been stuck up there for a number of years now so it might take some extraction.

I wonder how it coped yesterday with the radiance? And I am taking my 85 year old mum on the Queen Mary in march so not looking forward to this. I just hope it isn't hot. At least we disembark in Sydney. Funny how the govt takes credit for all the money coming in from the ships but doesn't finish the job off properly.

I reckon it's worth getting a TV station involved next Feb when the QM arrives for the first time. Might make for interesting footage especially as the local member may just have announced his retirement and a by election in full swing.

heres the reply from south australian tourism/flinders ports, its like a game of afl, toooo many handballs. FP also said in another email, via the local papers journalist who was sniffing around, that customs, had not ok'd the cars to be cleared as they had 3 car ships arrive,

stevo

Dear Mr Bailey,

I refer to your email dated 2 November 2011 regarding the Outer Harbour cruise ship terminal, and the arrival of your family members on The Pacific Sun. Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Please note that the Outer Harbour cruise ship terminal is managed by Flinders Ports. Please see the information below on the Flinders Ports website for frequently asked questions in relation to Cruising and embarkation/debarkation:

http://www.flindersports.com.au/cruising3.html

Can I access the Port Facility or Passenger Terminal Building?

The terminal building is restricted to passengers only, the general public cannot access the area due to strict security regulations governed by the national security body of the Office of Transport Security (OTS). Passengers boarding the vessel need to show their boarding pass at the security gate to enter the facility. In special circumstances, eg assisting a disabled passenger, you can seek permission from Flinders Ports prior to an arrival to enter the facility. For further information in regards to seeking permission please contact +61 8 8447 0611 or contact your travel agent for advice.

How far does a passenger need to walk with baggage to the nearest transport? Tour buses, shuttle buses and taxis are available outside the passenger terminal door. The Outer Harbor train station is located 100 metres from the passenger terminal building – a new walkway has been created to make it easy and safe for passengers to walk with their luggage from the terminal to the train station.”

Additionally, drop off and pick on mist occasions is in a designated area inside the facility close to the terminal, but as a multifunctional facility sometimes it is not possible to provide the space. Once again, I thank you for your valuable feedback.

made me smile about the new walkway, a 150 metre strip of roughly laid bitumen and people pushing ancient luggage trolleys along it, then volunteers having to retrieve them from the gate/train station.

stevo

Archived