Are there advantages to booking the next cruise on board?

I'm only an occasional cruiser, so this has never come up for me. But this year may be different :D I'm cruising next month, and already found a cruise for April that looks very interesting. I'm ready to just book it now. Should I wait until next month and book on board (is that one word or two?)? Are there incentives that I should ask for? Besides possibly losing a choice cabin (which I'm not too concerned about) are there any distinct advantages?

I'm only an occasional cruiser, so this has never come up for me. But this year may be different :D I'm cruising next month, and already found a cruise for April that looks very interesting. I'm ready to just book it now. Should I wait until next month and book on board (is that one word or two?)? Are there incentives that I should ask for? Besides possibly losing a choice cabin (which I'm not too concerned about) are there any distinct advantages?

If your cruise in April is 7 nights or longer, I say wait until you get on board and book it. Not much of an advantage really for booking on board any cruise under 7 nights as the OBC is only 25.00 and the deposit is still the same 100.00 per person.

If you already have the date in mind for April and you are sure its not going to change, tell the L.A that you want to book a Furture cruise as those deposits are non refundable. The NextCruise where you decide later deposit isnt.

If your cruise in April is 7 nights or longer, I say wait until you get on board and book it. Not much of an advantage really for booking on board any cruise under 7 nights as the OBC is only 25.00 and the deposit is still the same 100.00 per person.

If you already have the date in mind for April and you are sure its not going to change, tell the L.A that you want to book a Furture cruise as those deposits are non refundable. The NextCruise where you decide later deposit isnt.

The cruise is less than 7 nights, I have a specific date, the current OBC is $25. So it seems as if it won't make a difference, anyway. Who is the L.A.?

Over the past few years the deposit has been $100 pp for any length cruise, we always have a couple of cruises booked at all times, you can change them at a later date to a different cruise and still get you on board credit. You can always buy a next cruise certificate which you can use to book which will also give you on board credit.

Onboard credit : $50 3-6 nights, $100 7-11nights, $200 12-14 nights and $250 for 15 nights and longer.

You can also book during a WOW sale and get the same thing basicly.

Booking early lets you get specific cabins if you want to be in a special area or if you have a group and want everyone together too.

Happy sailing

Brian J

Now all this leads to another question, or observation. I've never put a deposit down on a cruise. I pay in full when I book. My vacation days at work aren't that flexible, so when I book, that's it. I can't change to different days off. And the cruise I'm looking at is a repositioning cruise, so it's only offered at this one time. Does putting a deposit down make it easier to cancel, if necessary?

. You can always buy a next cruise certificate which you can use to book which will also give you on board credit.

Onboard credit : $50 3-6 nights, $100 7-11nights, $200 12-14 nights and $250 for 15 nights and longer.

The OBC breakdown has changed. Its only 25.00 OBC now for any cruise under 6 nights :) i made a mistake above and said only 25.00 for any cruise under 7 nights......I didnt know RCI offered 6 night cruises but I guess they do.

Picture002.jpg

Now all this leads to another question, or observation. I've never put a deposit down on a cruise. I pay in full when I book. My vacation days at work aren't that flexible, so when I book, that's it. I can't change to different days off. And the cruise I'm looking at is a repositioning cruise, so it's only offered at this one time. Does putting a deposit down make it easier to cancel, if necessary?

There's a published cancellation schedule, so the deposit really shouldn't have much impact there. FWIW, I am also a fan of just paying.

There are 2 ways to do it.

One is to book the specific cruise you have in mind.

The less-publicized way to do it, is to purchase a NextCruise, where you put down a deposit but don't have to lock in a specific cruise.

Benefits are the same (On Board Credit, Lower Deposit, etc.), except, with NextCruise, you can get the same benefit for up to two other cabins (3 cabins total).

Same price. Same benefits. but for more cabins in case you want to bring family or friends. (each cabin gets the OBC)

One difference is that NextCruise is non-refundable, however it never expires.

The less-publicized way to do it, is to purchase a NextCruise, where you put down a deposit but don't have to lock in a specific cruise.

Benefits are the same (On Board Credit, Lower Deposit, etc.), except, with NextCruise, you can get the same benefit for up to two other cabins (3 cabins total).

Same price. Same benefits. but for more cabins in case you want to bring family or friends. (each cabin gets the OBC)

We're going to do the open NextCruise booking on our upcoming crusie. I'm curious about how it works for the additional cabins. Does RCI give you a code or something that can be passed on to friends/family?

With this Future Cruisecredit, if I book a 16 night Transatlantic I'll get $200 OBC, that's a pretty sweet deal.

What if I have a "big box" travel agent that also offers $200 OBC, can I give them my Future Cruise credit and have them book it for me so I can get the RCL OBC and my travel agents on board credit?

I hope that makes sense, lol. Anyone done it before?

Usually an onboard credit is offered for a particular cabin type. Unless there is something that you can not live without I'd wait until next month.

Happy Cruising!

OBC is Based on the length of the cruise...not cabin type...on a 7 nt cruise an inside will get the same $100 as an Owner's Suite...:)

If your TA is giving you an OBC from their comm. .Then you will have both OBC's on your account.

It's not just big box TA's . Many, many in fact most TA's that want your business ,will give you a nice OBC, plus personal service, on a big ticket booking like that.

If your TA is giving you an OBC from their comm. .Then you will have both OBC's on your account.

It's not just big box TA's . Many, many in fact most TA's that want your business ,will give you a nice OBC, plus personal service, on a big ticket booking like that.

Thanks for the info MCC.

I know it's against the rules to name travel agents, and I think it's taboo to actually talk about them? However I have book 4 cruises with my TA, had my mom book two cruises with her and my friend book one cruise with her. Total $$ of business since 2009 = $15,000 and we never get offered OBC. Last time I asked she gave us $50 OBC reluctantly.

That's why this OBC being offered onboard is appealing to me. however, I'm on the lookout for a "big box" travel agent that may offer me OBC ontop of the next cruise credit.

When we booked our "Next Cruise" it was for up to 5 cabins, has that changed since last year???

I booked a "next cruise" for the first time last year. When I converted to the cruise I wanted, I noted that the new cruise documents showed the balance owing was in US funds. As we are Canadian and have always paid our cruises in Canadian funds, this program is not an advantage for us unless the Canadian dollar is at par and any savings gained would be lost in the exchange rate and RCI does not offer a very good exchange rate. I personally would not book the next cruise again. Just my opinion

We booked a February cruise while on Freedom this past summer. Two weeks ago we switched the booking from an 8 night on the Navigator to a 5 night on the Jewel, but the OBC remianed $125. (We got an extra $25 because we booked more than 6 months out.)

I know it's against the rules to name travel agents, and I think it's taboo to actually talk about them? However I have book 4 cruises with my TA, had my mom book two cruises with her and my friend book one cruise with her. Total $$ of business since 2009 = $15,000 and we never get offered OBC. Last time I asked she gave us $50 OBC reluctantly.

Sounds like we have the same TA. ;-( Reluctantly, I think I am going to drop him. Seems like I am doing all the work online now, and I'm getting no extra OBC. Kind of hate to do it, but, I don't see why I should short change myself so he can get a commission.

Archived