Almost stayed on board

Orcrone

The Zuiderdam was fully booked for the 3/26 sailing. The ship's capacity at double occupancy is 1854 and we had 2094 people on board. However, this week is not the same. About 1/2 way through the week each stateroom received a notice that passengers could stay on board for $300 pp for an inside and $400 pp for an outside room.

We couldn't do it, but I tried to convince my parents and brother to go for it. If I were at a point in my life where I could just take another week off I would not have had to debate it very long.:D

That's sounded like a good deal.

We have never received any offers like that on any ship that we have been on.

If the second leg of your b2b is not booked you may be able to do a b2b2b.:D

There were a couple of islands where we actually went with our second choice of shore excursions. So if we stayed on board it would have given us an opportunity to go back and do what we wanted (ferry to St. Johns while in St. Thomas, and go to Virgin Gorda and the Baths while in Tortola).

We've had those sort of offers several times but couldn't take advantage of it. I never even inquired if we could stay in our Suite but now I wonder if they were included in the offer.

How great for people who are either retired or have the ability to take additional time off and especially if they live near the port and don't have to rearrange air arrangments. For them, it is a real GIFT,

What a great deal! I wouldn't be able to take advantage of such an offer due to work restraints ... but once retired that would be a tremendous bargain. Don't forget that if you fly to/from the port you would incur a change fee (probably $100) per ticket.

What a great deal! I wouldn't be able to take advantage of such an offer due to work restraints ... but once retired that would be a tremendous bargain. Don't forget that if you fly to/from the port you would incur a change fee (probably $100) per ticket.
Not necessarily. The airline would probably just cancel the flight and I'd drive back.;)

Marc, First off I want to say "Welcome Back" I hope you and your DW and a relaxing week and are now ready to start your new adventure of being a business owner:)

Too bad you could not of stayed on board longer but maybe next time.

We were on a HAL Noordam cruise a couple of years ago and about 3 or 4 days before we got back to port, it was a 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise, they sent out an announcement that they had both inside and outside cabins available for the next cruise, which was a transatlantic from Tampa to Lisbon (I think) for $500 for inside and $700 for outside. I believe the cruise was for 14 days and stopped in a couple of islands in the Caribbean before making the crossing and hitting one of the islands in the Atlantic. Unfortunately we couldn't take advantage of it but that was one of the best prices I have ever seen for a transatlantic. Unfortunately you evidently had to be there and able to take advantage of it at the time.

Have a great next cruise.

I would be inclined to call in to work...

"Hello? Hi, it's Brian. Well, I 'm afraid that I can't make it to work this week. Yeah, the whole week. Yeah, I know you were expecting me back today and that there is alot going on there... Well, yeah, but I'm just not feeling badly enough to come back to the office right now. No, I don't feel bad - I feel great. No - Great! ...I'm sorry? Did you say - Where am I? Right now??? Well, I think I'm somewhere off the eastern coast of Cuba, heading south...."

We were offered this on the Zuiderdam (March 5-12) for the following week. Suites were not included in this offer so we passed.....

"Hello? Hi, it's Brian. Well, I 'm afraid that I can't make it to work this week. Yeah, the whole week. Yeah, I know you were expecting me back today and that there is alot going on there... Well, yeah, but I'm just not feeling badly enough to come back to the office right now. No, I don't feel bad - I feel great. No - Great! ...I'm sorry? Did you say - Where am I? Right now??? Well, I think I'm somewhere off the eastern coast of Cuba, heading south...."

I like it....... :p:p

The Zuiderdam was fully booked for the 3/26 sailing. The ship's capacity at double occupancy is 1854 and we had 2094 people on board. However, this week is not the same. About 1/2 way through the week each stateroom received a notice that passengers could stay on board for $300 pp for an inside and $400 pp for an outside room.

:D

I gotta win the lottery... that is $57 per day per diem.... And if you timed your first cruise correctly, you probably could roll this a couple weeks. :rolleyes: MMMMM I liked the islands the first time because I picked this cruise,,, I am already unpacked and onboard...... Would it really get boring the third week...... Don't think so....... :p

Hi Brian,

I don't know where you work, but if you ever lose your current job, I sure think you have a great future in comedy.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

Hi there,

These offers often happen during the "downtime" of the cruising season. These times are usually after New Year's through March and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It simply depends on availability. If the ship gets word from Seattle that there are 50 cabins open, they will send out a notice to the guests onboard to see if anyone would like to stay onboard. While I was on the Zaandam last spring, we had back to back offers for almost a month straight. In fact, there was one couple who came on for a week and ended up staying for a month!

At the end of the 3/26 Zaandam sailing they offered passengers another week for $399!

Oh....so tempting....but an awfully long way to transmit lesson plans -- teachers always have to travel during the most expensive and crowded weeks -- oh, to retire!

Hi Brian,

I don't know where you work, but if you ever lose your current job, I sure think you have a great future in comedy.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

:) Thanks Bruce!

"Hello? Hi, it's Brian. Well, I 'm afraid that I can't make it to work this week . . . W here am I? Right now??? Well, I think I'm somewhere off the eastern coast of Cuba, heading south...."

This is slightly off-topic, but one time we had spent three weeks driving around France, Italy, and Switzerland. As we drove to the airport to return our rental car, we noticed that there were no money takers at the toll booths, and thought that maybe Sunday mornings were free. We also noticed that there was no line at the car rental agency booth and thought how lucky we were that morning. But, as we got to the boarding area, an airline representative came up to us and said "But, madame, monsieur, you have not heard of the strike?" No, of course, we hadn't spent our vacation reading the French newspaper! Anyway, there was nothing to do but go back to the car rental agency, get back our car, and have one more week of vacation.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of traveling. susan.

At the end of the 3/26 Zaandam sailing they offered passengers another week for $399!

Oh....so tempting....but an awfully long way to transmit lesson plans -- teachers always have to travel during the most expensive and crowded weeks -- oh, to retire!

but then...... On my Baltic cruise on the Statendam, I was talking to a teacher who was part of HAL kids program. Both her and her DH were teachers and they signed up for the summer on the Statendam.... Hard work too, HAL only had "kid things" the days at sea, and HAL forced:p them to go on shore excursions as a HAL rep..... Hard Job but somebody has to do it. :D This was 94, and HAL in Europe put on rep on every tour bus, I do not know if they still do that in Europe.

What a neat deal! Does this kind of thing happen very often?

Happened to me on each of my HAL cruises so far. The first was a ten-day Panama Canal cruise and they put a flyer under our doors one night offering us a really great deal to stay onboard. Sadly, I couldn't take advantage of it. Then, on the Zuiderdam ... I was already scheduled for a b2b, but when the first half got extended because of the hurricanes, they were offering amazing deals to get people to stay onboard and take the shortened cruise for the second week. I got the same price reduction on the second half of my b2b. They had to offer those deals because tons of people had cancelled the upcoming cruise because of difficulties getting to Port Everglades because of the hurricane damage. Also, many were not interested in a five day cruise and preferred to reschedule (which they were permitted to do).

These deals will often be offered, from what I understand ... and your best bet for getting them is to cruise during off-peak periods. Naturally, you're not gonna get offered a deal when the next week's cruise is over a school holiday or spring break. Chances are the ship will be fully booked then.

I, too, can't wait until I am able to retire and take advantage of these deals. Sadly, I just can't switch around schedules like that in order to be able to cruise so much at the last minute.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived