Drinking the tap water on Sun Princess?

smalldog

Hi everyone, I'm about to do my first Princess cruise :) on the Sun Princess, and I've read some conflicting reports about the drinking water. I drink lots of water and I don't drink coffee etc so I really notice the taste of the water.

Can you tell me please what the water out of the tap in the cabin is like? Would I be wise to bring a filter jug with me? And if so, how big is the cabin fridge?

The only other ship I've cruised on before was the HAL Volendam, where I used the water straight out of the tap. I believe (but may be wrong!) that the water purification on that ship is reverse osmosis, same as the filter tap I have on my sink at home. It certainly tasted much the same.

I think the Sun Princess might use a different system, but I'm not sure. Would greatly appreciate any perspectives you guys can offer.

I've seen on the cruise personaliser that I can tick "distilled water" but I don't know what that means... is that for drinking or just maybe something for medical conditions?

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

The water on most (all?) Princess ships is vacuum-distilled when produced at sea. (A vacuum pump and waste heat from the engines makes for cheap distillation.) When docked at a mainland port with good sanitation (i.e. FLL), they will fill the tanks with much cheaper municipal water.

Either way, I don't think anybody here has ever reported issues with the taste of Princess water.

On my first cruise I was buying the bottled water daily because I didn't know better. (My reasoning was that if Princess leave it in your cabin for you, it must be what you are meant to drink.:rolleyes:) I had also (briefly) considered a filter jug. Then I learned fom past cruisers how good the water was on board and never looked back.

I guess it comes down to what your body can handle.... Doesnt worry me but my hubby can not handle the cabin tap water....he gets very sick..bloats...spews and in pain...big time so we take our own...it is not worth the time he is sick in the cabin from the water ;(

He has been told drink the dining room water and the buffet.....and has no problems what so ever....it goes through a extra stage?? (Not sure how we found this out)

I guess it comes down to what your body can handle.... Doesnt worry me but my hubby can not handle the cabin tap water....he gets very sick..bloats...spews and in pain...big time so we take our own...it is not worth the time he is sick in the cabin from the water ;(

He has been told drink the dining room water and the buffet.....and has no problems what so ever....it goes through a extra stage?? (Not sure how we found this out)

Isn't that strange. I wonder what causes your husband's reaction. :eek:

I find my skin gets very dry and itchy from showering in shipboard water. Maybe it's too pure. ;)

Don't get ripped off buying water on board . Just buy your first bottle, then refill it from the Stateroom tap and chill it in your cabin fridge.

Also in the waited dining rooms don't fall for the trap of saying yes to bottled water, you will be charged for it at exhorbitant prices . Just ask for a jug of tap water, and it is free .

In the buffets free water and ice machines near the tea and carfee stations.

Beware of the buffet carfee it is like road tar and absolutely dreadful . Buy a coffee card and you can get a decent cup of chino or join the latte set .

Archived