Large Convention on Cruise - Issues?

flyingv4me

I agree, Alaska is usually not a huge draw for children and the time we chose is when most would still be in school. Some get out by the end of May but most not until the end of the first week in June. However, this is a cruise group who would be bringing children with them so I think there will be more than normal. Although, the children are not the main concern but not being able to take advantage of all the ship has to offer because of some large group taking over the venues and pushing us out of our reservations for dinner.

This puts me in a bad situation. The other couple wanted to travel with Princess but I convinced them to do this cruise to Alaska with Celebrity because of Celebrity's smoking policy. Now, Pricesss smoking policy is changing in January and they have the better itineraries to Alaska. I'm afraid this group will ruin the entire atmosphere and my friends will be disappointed especially since I chose Celebrity.

Since your upcoming cruise is giving you some "second-thought" moments, why not re-evaluate the decision. You mentioned Princess' new smoking policy and better itineraries to Alaska as a positive and the large group on Celebrity as a possible negative. Why not talk with your TA and friends and revisit the situation. Depending on your booking policy you might be able to switch cruise lines. Just keep in mind that there are no guarantees that something won't happen on another line after the switch. Not trying to scare you but you do have to be realistic. If you do switch to Princess and something does happen, then the guilt is off your shoulders....if you know what I mean.

Karen

If we've had reservations for early dining since the first day the cruise opened last April will Celebrity arbitrarily change our time to late seating without letting us know in order to service this large group?

Dining times are merely requests and are not guaranteed. Celebrity attempts to accommodate your requested seating time, but until you board the ship you will not know if the request has been granted. If you log on to their website and go to "My Reservations", select your cruise and then select "dining arrangements" you will see their explanation of this issue. They state: "Please select your dining preferences below.Every effort will be made to accommodate your request subject to availability."

If we've had reservations for early dining since the first day the cruise opened last April will Celebrity arbitrarily change our time to late seating without letting us know in order to service this large group?

There is no way to know on your specific cruise...but there was a recent thread where a number of folks with confirmed early dining reservations were switched to late dining because of a group. It can happen....and unforunately, they have the right, according to the documents, to make changes without your acceptance of the changes. You could call celebrity hq, but there answer would have little bearing on what they actually do on the ship.

On the other hand, the group might be seated at late seating or want to offer their members whichever dining time they want.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid cruises with a large group, no matter who they are.

There is no way to know on your specific cruise...but there was a recent thread where a number of folks with confirmed early dining reservations were switched to late dining because of a group. It can happen....and unforunately, they have the right, according to the documents, to make changes without your acceptance of the changes. You could call celebrity hq, but there answer would have little bearing on what they actually do on the ship.

On the other hand, the group might be seated at late seating or want to offer their members whichever dining time they want.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to avoid cruises with a large group, no matter who they are.

I'm pretty sure this group is going for the early seating because that's what's been stated on some other threads where the same group were on cruises (but not on Celebrity). They had early seating. This group from what I've read could be anywhere from 500-800.

If we are changed Celebrity should at least accomodate those who booked the very first day they opened reservations and let us have "Select". The 8:30 seating is entirely unreasonable when getting off the ship as early as 7:00am the next morning in an excursion intensive cruise like Alaska.

If we are changed Celebrity should at least accomodate those who booked the very first day they opened reservations and let us have "Select". The 8:30 seating is entirely unreasonable when getting off the ship as early as 7:00am the next morning in an excursion intensive cruise like Alaska.

If I were you (and I realize that I'm now spending your money), I would try to change to select NOW which, for what it's worth, we much prefer. That way, you will not be impacted by the group. I would absolutely not assume that the fact that you were the first to sign up for early dining would have any weight at all...and it's unlikely that the ship even knows (or cares) when you signed up or booked.

The cost of changing to select is that you have to pay gratuities in advance

With a group of 800, there is, unfortunately, a reasonably good risk that they will move you to the late sitting, if they need your table for the group.

On the other hand, they could just let the group eat when they wanted to eat and they would just mix with the other passengers....and you might not ever be inconvenienced by the group. I wouldn't take the chance....but that's up to you....especially since Celebrity does select dining so well.

If I were you (and I realize that I'm now spending your money), I would try to change to select NOW which, for what it's worth, we much prefer. That way, you will not be impacted by the group. I would absolutely not assume that the fact that you were the first to sign up for early dining would have any weight at all...and it's unlikely that the ship even knows (or cares) when you signed up or booked.

With a group of 800, there is, unfortunately, a reasonably good risk that they will move you to the late sitting, if they need your table for the group.

On the other hand, they could just let the group eat when they wanted to eat and they would just mix with the other passengers....and you might not ever be inconvenienced by the group. I wouldn't take the chance....but that's up to you....especially since Celebrity does select dining so well.

I'd be concerned that with a large group at the same dining time there might be announcements or group specific presentations during the dinner. Almost every convention I have ever gone to has had at least one dining event to share information with the attendees. Having to sit in the same dining room during a presentation intended only for the group would be quite annoying.

I'm pretty sure this group is going for the early seating because that's what's been stated on some other threads where the same group were on cruises (but not on Celebrity). They had early seating. This group from what I've read could be anywhere from 500-800.

I think it's an excellent idea to move to Select, but, unfortunately, I think it's already closed. We wanted Select when we first booked but our friends wanted early seating and we just went along with them. I don't think they don't want to pay the gratuities up front. Our reservations are linked and we plan on doing most everything together especially meals.

I'd be concerned that with a large group at the same dining time there might be announcements or group specific presentations during the dinner. Almost every convention I have ever gone to has had at least one dining event to share information with the attendees. Having to sit in the same dining room during a presentation intended only for the group would be quite annoying.

Boogs, what you're saying is true. That could very well happen even if were to get to keep early seating. I may call Celebrity tomorrow and see what I can find out about changing.

I think it's an excellent idea to move to Select, but, unfortunately, I think it's already closed. We wanted Select when we first booked but our friends wanted early seating and we just went along with them. I don't think they don't want to pay the gratuities up front. Our reservations are linked and we plan on doing most everything together especially meals.

Boogs, what you're saying is true. That could very well happen even if were to get to keep early seating. I may call Celebrity tomorrow and see what I can find out about changing.

Please let us know if celebrity says anything other than "we know nothing, we see nothing, what group?, and we have no control over anything that they decide to do on the ship to accomodate a group".

While it could happen, I am not so sure that Celebrity would allow presentations to happen during first seating dinner time. Getting people in and out of the dining room in a timely manner is very important. If people are distracted by speeches/presentations and slow in eating that would cause a big back up for second seating. Conventions I understand as there is usually a specific room dedicated to a group --- but a cruise ship dining room, not so much.

I may be wrong here --- perhaps someone with "group cruise" experience could offer first-hand comments.

Karen

While it could happen, I am not so sure that Celebrity would allow presentations to happen during first seating dinner time. Getting people in and out of the dining room in a timely manner is very important. If people are distracted by speeches/presentations and slow in eating that would cause a big back up for second seating. Conventions I understand as there is usually a specific room dedicated to a group --- but a cruise ship dining room, not so much.

I may be wrong here --- perhaps someone with "group cruise" experience could offer first-hand comments.

Karen

You bring up a good point that may negate any worries about this situation occurring. Thanks!

Archived