Large Convention on Cruise - Issues?

flyingv4me

Apparently, CP Con 2012 will be on the same Reflection cruise I'll be on. 400+ TAs, maybe 200+ vendors (another 400 people?), so approximately 1/3 of the ship will be their group and their convention.

Does this translate into bars and public areas closed at various times for convention activities? Exhibits in the public areas?

I booked early and was looking forward to this as my first cruise. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should change?

What are others experiences with large convention groups on board during your cruise? Should I be worried or no big deal?

Thanks!

Bruce

I would agree that it is not pleasant to be on a cruise that is hosting a very large group or convention. The negatives you mentioned are unfortunately true. If you are a member of the group---great, it's a lot of fun. But if not, you feel like an 'outsider'.

I will say that if you have to be with a group--travel agents might not be that bad, as you may learn some interesting things aboard.

There are a lot of other types of groups that might be less desirable to share the cruise with than TA's, but would still rather have no large groups.

Unfortunately, the cruiseline will never disclose that any or what groups may be on a cruise, but past threads have suggested you can 'google' group and the name of your ship and the sailing date, and you may find out that way....

They've posted on their website that next year the convention is on the Reflection. Some additional checking confirmed the sail date. I agree on maybe learning a few things from the TAs, but I also want access to all of the ship's amenities. Hmmmmm...

I sailed on two different Celebrity cruises where large groups were present. On one sailing there were no issues. However, on the other , part of the buffet was closed and certain bars duringspeicfic times which was inconvenient. I think it depends on how largethe group is.

Good Luck

My upcoming Eclipse cruise is having an Expedia Cruise Center convention and I'm not sure the number but it's been suggested at up to 800. That seems high but I'm really not sure. I'll let you know how it goes.

When i sailed the NCL Epic they had a large group of TA's (800+)on our cruise as well. They didnt bother anybody or interfere with anything in the least.

Apparently, CP Con 2012 will be on the same Reflection cruise I'll be on. 400+ TAs, maybe 200+ vendors (another 400 people?), so approximately 1/3 of the ship will be their group and their convention.

Does this translate into bars and public areas closed at various times for convention activities? Exhibits in the public areas?

I booked early and was looking forward to this as my first cruise. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I should change?

What are others experiences with large convention groups on board during your cruise? Should I be worried or no big deal?

Thanks!

Bruce

Definitly could have venues closed at times. I would however make sure I get the dining arrangments I want as soon as possible. I remember reading about a couple of groups that took over the entire dining room for a particular time. This may not be an issue now with Select Dining but I would look into it

I would however make sure I get the dining arrangments I want as soon as possible. I remember reading about a couple of groups that took over the entire dining room for a particular time. This may not be an issue now with Select Dining but I would look into it

This is happening on the 12/3 cruise with expedia. the group has early dining so my mom who prefers and needs early dining (diabetic) cannot have it due to the group. The upside is we booked after final payment and got a great price on a sky suite so we may be eating in our cabin. All is good.

This is happening on the 12/3 cruise with expedia. the group has early dining so my mom who prefers and needs early dining (diabetic) cannot have it due to the group.

And would not take "no" to first seating dining for an answer... Following is from Celebrity's website...

-----

Special Dietary Needs

Celebrity Cruises is happy to accommodate many different kinds of dietary needs in our Main Dining Room to enhance your cruise vacation. Once you have booked your cruise, send your special dietary request to SpecialNeeds@celebrity.com or call 1-800-722-5472, ext. 34492.

-----

Alternatively, you might try to call Captain's Club [if you are a member] for intervention or do Select Dining...

You and your mom should not be relegated to dining in your cabin as a result of medical necessity and I expect that Celebrity will work hard to accommodate you... They don't want inflexible practices aboard ship to cause health issues... I'd start working the issue aggressively now [or have your Travel Agent do so if you used one, a Reservationist--constrained by systems limitations--will not be able to help you] and, if it still isn't resolved, see the Maitre 'D and/or Hotel Director immediately following boarding...

We have been on a cruise with a large group, and we found it very disruptive. Often , large areas/venues were closed to the public as the group was hosting private events. And, we sometimes felt that the staff was focused on the large group, with less attention for regular cruisers. You should go into it knowing you'll need to be flexible, that's for sure. The group can't take over all the best venues, all the time. Try asking the staff if they have the schedule so you can plan around it. For instance, if early traditional dining is unavailable, they should be able to accommodate you in Select at your choice of time. Hope it works out.

And would not take "no" to first seating dining for an answer... Following is from Celebrity's website...

-----

Special Dietary Needs

Celebrity Cruises is happy to accommodate many different kinds of dietary needs in our Main Dining Room to enhance your cruise vacation. Once you have booked your cruise, send your special dietary request to SpecialNeeds@celebrity.com or call 1-800-722-5472, ext. 34492.

-----

Alternatively, you might try to call Captain's Club [if you are a member] for intervention or do Select Dining...

You and your mom should not be relegated to dining in your cabin as a result of medical necessity and I expect that Celebrity will work hard to accommodate you... They don't want inflexible practices aboard ship to cause health issues... I'd start working the issue aggressively now [or have your Travel Agent do so if you used one, a Reservationist--constrained by systems limitations--will not be able to help you] and, if it still isn't resolved, see the Maitre 'D and/or Hotel Director immediately following boarding...

Not saying its right but playing Devils Advocate, Celebrity has the perfect out now with Select Dining. They can just say early dining is full, we will put you in Select if late is a problem.

I remember many years ago, perhaps 6 or 7, when the much loved NEWTOCC was a regular here and there was a thread on large group cruises. Reading it was hilarious. Imagine 500 hairdressers or 800 Spanish dance officionados. I did just check my cruise on search and discovered that the potential large group taking a Rockabilly cruise did not materialize due to low bookings. The organizer suggested that this might have been due to the economy and the group makeup.

It does pay to do a little research. I guess I can stop trying to attach the poodle to my circle skirt. :D

I too was told that there was no early dining and had to take select and prepay gratuities. I wonder if that has changed now that the large group that had been anticipated did not book this. Of course there has been no price drop as a result.

Not saying its right but playing Devils Advocate, Celebrity has the perfect out now with Select Dining. They can just say early dining is full, we will put you in Select if late is a problem.

when we were told "no' to early dining, i tried for select at the same time and again were told they were unable to accommodate us and to try talking to folks when get on the ship.

I will try and call the special dietary needs number to see if they can help. great suggestion. did not think of that!

Since we booked a sky suite, we get the full dinner menu in cabin so would not kill us. we are cc member and frequent cruisers. this the first time we've run into this.

happy sailing!

I was on a cruise with a very large group and it really impacted our "Any Time Dining". Normally, anytime dining works because people tend to come to dinner at different times. But with a large group, they all rushed to "Any Time" dinner at exactly the same time after some private event. Imagine the chaos if 120 people all showed up at the same time. So on the third day we switched to Traditional dining.

when we were told "no' to early dining, i tried for select at the same time and again were told they were unable to accommodate us and to try talking to folks when get on the ship.

I will try and call the special dietary needs number to see if they can help. great suggestion. did not think of that!

Since we booked a sky suite, we get the full dinner menu in cabin so would not kill us. we are cc member and frequent cruisers. this the first time we've run into this.

happy sailing!

Just for further reference, full dinner menus are available in all cabins, not just suites...

Just for further reference, full dinner menus are available in all cabins, not just suites...

Are you referring to the room service menu on the TV?

We are just off the Equinox & Silhouette and had to have our Maitre D bring us the menu every night because there are certain dishes that we get minor changes too. It would have been SO much easier if they had a copy of all the cruise's dinner menu's in the cabin :)

We were on the NCL Pearl with a large group (I will not mention the nationality). They made the cruise miserable. They would book venues and then run over their allotted time sometimes by as much as an hour, thus delaying other events. They would reserve part of the dining room for a certain time and then show up an hour or so late, thus causing problems for everyone else. They were the rudest group of people. They would push anyone and everyone out of the way for the elevator. I even saw one man push a wheelchair bound person out of the way. If he hadn't gotten on the elevator I think a fight would have ensued.

By the end of the cruise most regular cruisers were ready to dump this group overboard. As to the NCL staff, well they always catered to the group, almost seemed afraid of them.

My upcoming Eclipse cruise is having an Expedia Cruise Center convention and I'm not sure the number but it's been suggested at up to 800. That seems high but I'm really not sure. I'll let you know how it goes.

That figure is correct. Plus there will be a lot of vendors.

How does one find out if their cruise has a convention or large organized group on board?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Karen

There's really no web site that has been able to do this. Best way is to do google searchs on your cruise, ship and dates.....

I performed a search of your cruise, entering the details " Celebrity Millenium Group Cruise June 1, 2012. This is what I came up with:

https://www.classictravel.net/familyreunioncampmeetingatsea2012/termsconditionsandregistration/

I Looked up the group mentioned on the link (thanks!) --- think we will be OK.

Karen

Archived