Quick Vent

AlohaPride

It's so annoying that in this day and age you can't book connecting cabins on any of the cruise line websites. You either have to call, or make separate reservations. And using the websites to even FIND connecting cabins is a pain in the you-know-what. You'd think in 2011, when we have phones that can have conversations with you and automated EVERYTHING this would be possible. When you tell them you have 5 people (3 of whom are very young) only lines that have suites that hold 5 will give you ANY availability. What's up with that??

Ok. Rant over. I'll be calling my agent tomorrow to see if they have access to connecting cabins. :rolleyes:

p.s. I'm just shopping around. So spending time on the phone, trying to keep my girls quiet in the back ground isn't my idea of a relaxing way to find a cruise we'd like to take.

I could swear I've booked connecting online before. :confused: I do know that most connecting cabins sleep 3 and you HAVE to book 3 people in the room to book it. It won't let you book a 3 person room with 2 people. That's annoying too!!

Oh! And Hotel websites too. You'd think they would WANT a 4, 3, and 1 year old IN with their parents. Why the need for 2 rooms when our family and fit in a queen comfortably? LOL **sigh**

Because some rooms, just like cabins on a cruise ship, have limits on the number of people who may be in a room.

Oh! And Hotel websites too. You'd think they would WANT a 4, 3, and 1 year old IN with their parents. Why the need for 2 rooms when our family and fit in a queen comfortably? LOL **sigh**

Years ago I worked in a hotel and remember this issue came up occasionally. The reason is (unlike a cruise ship which specific cabins are booked), that hotels do not know in advance who is going to be in which room and when you check in you are assigned an available room. They do not hold specific rooms, unless it is a special suite or handicap room.

Call a few hours in advance of arrival, tell them you want a connecting room and they will do their best to accomodate you, they can possibly put a hold on two avalable connecting rooms as they come up from the housekeepers roster.

OP - of course you can see connecting cabins on a cruiseline's webpage.

Note, it is against board policies to discuss specific TAs, such as the big box store you have mentioned.

That's correct.

Sorry but I had to remove several posts that discussed specific online travel agencies. Cruise Critic Guidelines do not permit such discussions.

I could swear I've booked connecting online before. :confused: I do know that most connecting cabins sleep 3 and you HAVE to book 3 people in the room to book it. It won't let you book a 3 person room with 2 people. That's annoying too!!

I think you probably have. I like to shop around, and I remember Carnival was the only site that allowed you to book two rooms at the same time. Their website is one of the easiest to use.

All the other sites either stop you before looking at what's available because you have too many people and then need to call or only show you the Suites available (not the connecting cabins).

As I said. I'm just shopping around and want to get an estimate of what to expect to pay. I don't want to take up someone's time who is trying to earn a living in these economic times when I'm not ready to purchase and wont be for a couple weeks. WHEN I'm ready to purchase, I hope to have a list of cruises we'd be interested in, and what the actual price is for those cruises. So far, I have a list, but getting the quote is proving frustrating.

As I said. I'm just shopping around and want to get an estimate of what to expect to pay. I don't want to take up someone's time who is trying to earn a living in these economic times when I'm not ready to purchase and wont be for a couple weeks. WHEN I'm ready to purchase, I hope to have a list of cruises we'd be interested in, and what the actual price is for those cruises. So far, I have a list, but getting the quote is proving frustrating.

I get that! However, a true certified travel agent will take the time to look up the info you want, if you plan to indeed book a cruise with them, even if it is two weeks or so down the line. You only need to feel guilty about taking up their time if you in fact plan to book online yourself (not the smartest move -that's like playing the stock market by yourself without a broker). You do know that unless the travel agent charges a fee upfront for investigating this (some do, but they'll tell you that BEFORE you get very far into it) THERE is NO charge for using a travel agent.

:rolleyes: I posted a VERY similar post on RCCL's boards (annoyed) not too long ago. I really do not understand it either, even though plenty have tried to explain the "reason". To me it is just very frustrating.:o

I concur with the OP, it is annoying that so many things that CAN be fairly easily done, because of limitations of a website are impossible -- (either due to inept design or deliberately by management policy). I am a IT PM working with Web apps -- and so I know what CAN and CANNOT be done from a tech standpoint.

Partly because, I feel that I should be able to do something, I'll get frustrated. Partly because I too feel that I should not be "wasting" someone's time, I get frustrated.

I DO use a very good, reputable TA when it is time to book, but when it is time to shop - I want to be able to shop on my own and not to have to rely upon someone else for help. My TA is happy that I shop on my own, because otherwise I wouldn't have even considered some of the trips I have taken (booked through her). I'll find an itinerary I like, at a time I like, and at a price point I like; and I'll email (:eek:) her and we'll book it. Poor web site services will decrease the number of cruises I will take.

Royal Caribbean's website shows you available connecting cabins and allows you to book both at the same time. Disney's website also shows the available cabins (and whether they are connecting) and allows you to book 2 or more at the same time. :confused:

Royal Caribbean's website shows you available connecting cabins and allows you to book both at the same time. Disney's website also shows the available cabins (and whether they are connecting) and allows you to book 2 or more at the same time. :confused:

We booked our connecting cabins thought Disney's website...1st you add one cabin, then click on the add another cabin. Very easy to do!;)

Now as far as complaints go I wish you could book 5 in a cabin through RCL's website but you can not...you have to call!(even just to get pricing):confused:

We booked our connecting cabins thought Disney's website...1st you add one cabin, then click on the add another cabin. Very easy to do!;)

Now as far as complaints go I wish you could book 5 in a cabin through RCL's website but you can not...you have to call!(even just to get pricing):confused:

Hmm. Maybe I'm looking at sailings with no connecting cabins available. Because I tried that on a few of their cruises, and had to research which cabins were connecting on a different window and work it from there. LOL

I don't mind calling to book. But its hard to plan a budget when you don't know what the cost is and what's available at the time you're looking to book because most websites stop you at number of passengers before even showing you what's available. You click 2 adults 3 kids and you get a red warning saying you need to call and talk to a service rep. **sigh**

It was nice to have a place to "vent." I'm grateful to CC for that.

Onessa, my sister is a programmer and it drives her nuts when websites aren't updated and don't work as they should. LOL

Here are ships that have regular inside or oceanview cabins that sleep 5:

Norweigan Sky (oceanview)

Norweigan Sun (all insides sleep 5, also several oceanviews)

Norweigan Breakaway (oceanview)

Carnival ships:

Imagination, Sensation, Ecstasy, Destiny, Fascination, Fantasy, Inspiration, Elation, Triumph, Victory, Paradise (insides and oceanviews)

Breeze, Dream and Magic (oceanview)

I'm not aware of any regular insides or ocean views on other lines that are not suites.

Carnival ships:

Imagination, Sensation, Ecstasy, Destiny, Fascination, Fantasy, Inspiration, Elation, Triumph, Victory, Paradise (insides and oceanviews)

I'm not aware of any regular insides or ocean views on other lines that are not suites.

Thank you!

Carnival ships:

Royal Caribbean ships have "family" cabins that sleep 6. You have to call to reserve though.

Royal Caribbean ships have "family" cabins that sleep 6. You have to call to reserve though.

Do they at least quote the cost pp for those cabins? Even with that, though, how to figure out the cost for the kids in that room. :rolleyes:

Do they at least quote the cost pp for those cabins? Even with that, though, how to figure out the cost for the kids in that room. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they do not post that on the website unless they've opened it up to groups of less than 5.

Archived