gratuity increase.....

alb1956

By my calculations its a seven day cruise. So, thats an extra $10.5 per person. Sweetheart, if your budget, or your sons, doesnt stretch to an extra $10.50 pp, then you seriously have to ask yourself can you afford the cruise at all! Talk about living on the edge!:confused:

Does it bother you that only 1/3 of the increase goes to the room stewards and waitstaff?

2/3 of the tip goes to places that usually do not get tipped at all such as guest services and entertainment staff.

Would think better of it if the hardworking room steward and my waiter saw it.

are they going to reduce their pay to $50 a month?

what's the increase for the people that do get paid allegedly $50 a month, the ones who break their backs for you personally the entire week?

Why would they decrease their pay? The extra work that they do deserves extra compensation over and above their regular pay (they don't earn overtime afterall). The increase for the people that serve you personally is what is stated for the stewards and waitstaff and they only share that with their assistants.

Am I to suppose this tip now includes the matre d'?

On carnivals website it explains who gets tips when you prepay gratuities for a large group. One of those people who gets tipped is the matre'd.

Perhaps it's different for non groups, but I suspect it's the same.

if you were on the receiving end, it's about $650,000. chump change, right?

and 2/3rds of it will go to full salaried non service people that are neither your room steward nor dining room waiters.

still pleased?

$1.50 per day is chump change. I don't care who receives it.

Tips are OPTIONAL. If they want it included, make it part of the Fare I pay for the cruise. I will adjust Tips as I see fit based upon the service I recieve & what I feel it is worth to me.

And please dont start the bleeding heart sob tales about how little these people are paid. They have a choice to accept the job at the pay offered when they signed the contract. I have to live by the pay I get for the contracts I have signed over the last 8 years. And the rate I get has gone down, not up over the last 8 years.

Just got off the phone with my PVP to prepay the gratuities before the rate increase and was told that the $11.50 per day per person is already in effect. So for two cabins and four people it came to 322.00. So December 1st deadline isn't the deadline.....it's already in effect. Wanted to pay early because I know my son can't afford it and it gives us more money to spend onboard. Just wanted to let you guys know. We cruise in April 2012.

Your math is fuzzy. $322 is total for auto gratuity- not increase

Why would they decrease their pay? The extra work that they do deserves extra compensation over and above their regular pay (they don't earn overtime afterall). The increase for the people that serve you personally is what is stated for the stewards and waitstaff and they only share that with their assistants.

The "extra" work if any (since you can't prove it) is part and parcel of their duties for which they are already compensated at a rate magnitudes higher then the serving staff.

Giving these people part of the tip pool is stiffing the serving staff.

Tips are OPTIONAL. If they want it included, make it part of the Fare I pay for the cruise. I will adjust Tips as I see fit based upon the service I recieve & what I feel it is worth to me.

And please dont start the bleeding heart sob tales about how little these people are paid. They have a choice to accept the job at the pay offered when they signed the contract. I have to live by the pay I get for the contracts I have signed over the last 8 years. And the rate I get has gone down, not up over the last 8 years.

Aren't you a pilot who gets interline rates on Carnival?

Here we go again. Thought I would look in from my hotel tonight .. I see those who are upset about the new tips are still in full swing.

OP, its up to you and your son to decide, either pay the tips, or remove them and tip as you see fit. Yes, they will ask why you are removing the tips, but if you feel its unfair or a hardship .. do what YOU think is right.

Those up in arms over the tips are at battle fevor OP, so just do what you think is best.

the shrimp cocktail uproar was funnier then this..............!!!;)

I agree, mild compared to this. No humor in this pitched battle.

Im one who does not care how Carnival distributes my tips.. and I can't understand why others care so much who gets the tips. It makes no sense to me. zero. Thats the problem. .. this battle just makes no sense to me.

Boy do I need this cruise tomorrow.

By my calculations its a seven day cruise. So, thats an extra $10.5 per person. Sweetheart, if your budget, or your sons, doesnt stretch to an extra $10.50 pp, then you seriously have to ask yourself can you afford the cruise at all! Talk about living on the edge!:confused:

Whatever........apparently some people have no life!!

7 day cruise

$11.50 per day per person

80.50 per person per room

$161.00 per cabin

times two

$322.00

nuff said..........

I've no doubt the people delivering are wait staff and thus already service people.

Um, I would expect that the waitstaff is busy getting the dining room ready and loading food. The stewards are busy getting the cabins ready. Other people are helping load the food and supplies. Still others are cleaning the common areas.

The "extra" work if any (since you can't prove it) is part and parcel of their duties for which they are already compensated at a rate magnitudes higher then the serving staff.

Giving these people part of the tip pool is stiffing the serving staff.

I don't see how you figure it's stiffing anyone because the waitstaff's tip increased as well, but you are entitled to your opinion. Loading luggage is part of a sound technician's normal duties? If you say so, but luggage handlers (porters, bellhops) get tipped, so why shouldn't a sound technician who is working in that capacity because the manpower is needed?

Um, I would expect that the waitstaff is busy getting the dining room ready and loading food. The stewards are busy getting the cabins ready. Other people are helping load the food and supplies. Still others are cleaning the common areas.

Other people? What other people? Kitchen staff are restocking and or cooking. Ships personnel are doing maintenance, refuelling and loading stores. Entertainment staff are assisting with debarkation/embarkation. Guest services are guest servicing. You seem to think there is this invisible non-paid workforce just floating around.

Other people? What other people? Kitchen staff are restocking and or cooking. Ships personnel are doing maintenance, refuelling and loading stores. Entertainment staff are assisting with debarkation/embarkation. Guest services are guest servicing. You seem to think there is this invisible non-paid workforce just floating around.

I know that every hand is doing something, it's the way shipboard ops work. Many of those hands are doing work completely unrelated to their regular job. I think they should receive extra compensation for that. (I probably should have used the term "other crewmembers" for clarity, sorry.)

I know that every hand is doing something, it's the way shipboard ops work. Many of those hands are doing work completely unrelated to their regular job. I think they should receive extra compensation for that. (I probably should have used the term "other crewmembers" for clarity, sorry.)

I was surprised to open my door on one cruise to one of the singers I recognized passing out loyalty stuff door to door from a list.

Maybe, but I don't think the extra compensation for someone earning a couple of grand a month should come from the tip pool of people making $50 a month.

Maybe, but I don't think the extra compensation for someone earning a couple of grand a month should come from the tip pool of people making $50 a month.

It doesn't come from the tip pool, the waitstaff keeps their tips and the stewards keep their tips, splitting them with their assistants (and I would think that it's not a 50/50 split). And in the case of the waitstaff they also see a part of the $2 when they pull buffet duty (at least that's the way I understand it).

Archived