How do you know if you are invited to the Captain's Welcome Aboard Gala?

joyus

It's been sooo, many years since my DH & I sailed HAL. I believe I read on this board that there's some sort of cocktail party or somthing for return guests. Do I have that wrong? How or when do you know if you're invited? Can others in your group join you? What's generally served? Thank you for your input.

The Captain's Champagne Welcome Party is usually held on the first full day or the nest day. Everyone is invited. There will be 2 parties - one for the 5:45 and 6:15 dinners. The second one is held later in the evening for the 8 and 8:30 dinners.

You might be referring to the Mariner's party. This is for repeat passengers and is held on the last sea day. Only those who have previously sailed on HAL will get an invitation. No - you can not take along friends or family who have not previously sailed on HAL.

At both parties the crew will come around with champagne, white wine, orange juice, and Bloody Marys. But you can always order something else - we always do.

The crew will also come around with some hot appetizers - lately they are far and few - if you are lucky to get any.

Everyone is invited to the Welcome Aboard party. The time for your dinner sitting will be noted in the Daily Program.

I think you might be talking about the Mariners' Party for repeat HAL cruisers. Everyone who has sailed on at least one HAL cruise before will receive an invitation to let them know the time/place. Usually the party is held at night, but I have also been to them in the daytime.

Depending on how many Mariners there are on the voyage there may be more than one party.

The party is for Mariners. I am not suggesting that others should attend, but no one checks your invitation for eligibility to attend, either. Let your conscience be your guide.

Everyone is invited to the Captain's Cocktail Gala which is in the Daily Program - and one should really dress per the Formal guidelines.

However, you might also be thinking of the Mariner's Reception, which is for returning HAL guests only. You would receive an invitation under the door the day prior specifically inviting you.

And No, it would not be appropriate to bring others to an event to which only you've been invited.

I have cruised with HAL before, but my husband and son have not. Will they be included in the invitation for the Mariner's Reception, or will I be the only one invited?

You will be the only one who is actually invited...

You will be the only one who is actually invited...

I would not take anybody outside my cabin, but I would always take the ones in my cabin. Just my thoughts on this.

Now what's this pin.:D I have 26 days under my stern... So I should be "pinned" on my next HAL cruise.... Please oh please let the pinner be a cute blond..... :p:p

I have cruised with HAL before, but my husband and son have not. Will they be included in the invitation for the Mariner's Reception, or will I be the only one invited?

We were on the Zui in March and I had sailed HAL before and my DH had not , we were both invited:)

Clothing is required...

Ties are mandatory, but shirts are not...

Actually, people normally dress according to the dress code of the day (formal, informal, casual) since the party usually occurs in early evening, just before first seating.

Ties are mandatory, but shirts are not...

Actually, people normally dress according to the dress code of the day (formal, informal, casual) since the party usually occurs in early evening, just before first seating.

I've never been to an evening Mariner's reception. They always seem to be just before lunch (11 or 11:30) on an at sea day....

My most recent Mariner's party was held around 11:30 AM on a casual day, and attendees dressed according. Nice pants, knit shirts, etc.

The Captain's Gala was on a formal night.

Roz

I would not take anybody outside my cabin, but I would always take the ones in my cabin. Just my thoughts on this.

Now what's this pin.:D I have 26 days under my stern... So I should be "pinned" on my next HAL cruise.... Please oh please let the pinner be a cute blond..... :p:p

Folks who are due to receive pins will get them along with the invitation to the event.

Only folks who receive medallions (over 1000 days, I believe) and the persons with the most days on HAL will be brought up for photos w/ the Captain.

How many days do you have to sail before you can get a pin? and thereafter how often will you get one?

More info on the HAL Site...

Mariner Society Award Levels (effective as of 1/1/2000)

blank.gifCRUISE DAYS AWARD:

25 Blue cloisonné lapel pin

50 Red cloisonné lapel pin

100 Copper medallion & lapel pin

300 Silver medallion & lapel pin

500 Gold medallion & lapel pin

700 Platinum medallion & lapel pin

Only folks who receive medallions (over 1000 days, I believe) and the persons with the most days on HAL will be brought up for photos w/ the Captain.

Close, Brian. Very close. The first medallion is now at the 100-day mark (previous system was 111 days); next medallion is 300-days (soon! very soon! I hope), then 500 days.

Even at the 100-day ceremony you're called up, awarded your medallion individually, and have your picture taken. There's also a group picture for each of the medallion groups.

Close, Brian. Very close. The first medallion is now at the 100-day mark (previous system was 111 days); next medallion is 300-days (soon! very soon! I hope), then 500 days.

Even at the 100-day ceremony you're called up, awarded your medallion individually, and have your picture taken. There's also a group picture for each of the medallion groups.

Yes, Ma'am - I stand corrected!

BTW - are you going on a group cruise Ruth?

BTW - are you going on a group cruise Ruth?

If there's a God in Heaven I am!

Right now I have every intention of being on the Zaandam in October of '06 on Rev. Neal's CC group cruise to Hawaii.

If all goes as planned I'll be receiving my 300-day medallion on that cruise.

I have 251 days now, with 35 planned for this Summer (assuming the cardiologist clears me to go). I'm planning to bring my older grandgirl to Alaska in '06 (7 more days), then the 15-day Hawaii cruise.

I'm too busy to be sick!

If there's a God in Heaven I am!

Right now I have every intention of being on the Zaandam in October of '06 on Rev. Neal's CC group cruise to Hawaii.

If all goes as planned I'll be receiving my 300-day medallion on that cruise.

I have 251 days now, with 35 planned for this Summer (assuming the cardiologist clears me to go). I'm planning to bring my older grandgirl to Alaska in '06 (7 more days), then the 15-day Hawaii cruise.

I'm too busy to be sick!

Good for you Ruth!

Be sure and remind your Dr. that there are defibrilators in the Lido Restaurant! :eek:

I'll be receiving my 25 day pin on my B2B next Feb, so I've got a ways to go...

I keep telling my sister that my nephew needs to do a Med. Cruise w/ me before he starts first grade, but she just doesn't seem to understand...

:confused:

Archived