What is your favorite cruise port to leave from??

pbmsmile

Miami, both arriving and departing, with four or five other ships in a sail away that looks like a cruise ship parade. Caught this image off of the Crystal Symphony bridge cam as she was heading towards her dock after a quick spin in the turning basin.

miami1.jpg

WOW, what a beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing!

I really don't have a favorite, but Jacksonville was the easiest.

Port Canaveral and Miami had several other ships in port so was neat seeing them.

Tampa was nice to see the aquarium from the ship.

Charleston was the worst, only because it seemed very dissorganized and took forever to get onboard.

Barring the convenience of leaving from home port or economics. The first half and hour of the cruise, parading by the side of the statue of Liberty, under historic bridges and the skycrappers in New York, so far..........is the best. It is an added bonus to your vacation.

Give it a try.

I like Port Canaveral. Gone out from there twice. Oddly, the TSA folks always seemed super grumpy but once you got in the main check-in area all those senior citizens that work there showing you which line to go to were some of the happiest cheeriest folks I ever seen.

Ain't that the truth? Those people are so wonderful and cheerful and happy. Last weekend there was an older lady at the top of the escalator with a pom pom hollering, "You're going on a cruise! Woo hoo! This way for fun!"

I have 2 favorite ports!

My daughter and s-i-l live on Long Island so if we sail out of NY harbor, we get to see them and have a visit pre-cruise and post-cruise. I love sailing past Lady Liberty and Ellis Island and all the skyscrapers. So much to see!

My other favorite is Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. We always stay at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites where we get a King suite room for all of us. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with a kitchen and a living room in between. There are lot of stores within walking distance and the hotel has a complimentary shuttle that picks you up from the airport and takes you to the cruise port and will drive you to the mall or restaurants at no charge! They have a great full breakfast in the mornings, too! It is a great place to start and end your vacation!

We'll be in Fort Lauderdale getting ready to go on our 5th cruise in 23 days!!!

In order of preference:

1. New Orleans - Awsome trip down the Mississippi river, and hey it is historic New Orleans.

2. Tampa - Again, a pretty trip out to sea with the Skyway bridge, great pre-cruise hotels

Channelside area and Ybor City, lots to do.

3. NYC - Who can beat going down the Hudson river past Manhattan, Ellis Island, and

the Statue of Liberty. Close to home, a 3 hour train ride to the port for us.

4. Miami - Great pre-cruise places to stay and party. Well organized passenger handling. Fun sailing down the channel blowing the ships whistle (horn).

5. Ft Lauderdale - Best range of hotels, airport 5 minutes away, converted industrial port

seems disorganized at times.

Next up - Galveston

Boston simply because it close.

Agree.

kind of nice to wake up in the morning and know that within a few hours we will be on board the ship. That being said it would be nice to live near a Florida port and have such a variety of ships and itineries available.

Fort Lauderdale. Nothing beats having airport within a walking distance. I know we can't walk, but hey, it's that close! But the port area definitely needs improvement (less industrial and more cruisy touristy look like Tampa).

I have only been out of Miami so by default it wins. I like that there are so many cruise choices out of Miami that it can't be beat. And honestly from the Midwest it seems that airfare to Miami is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else (including Fort Lauderdale which is usually only a $10-20 pp difference if that). This cruise we are going out of NOLA and we are driving. So that might become my favorite. I was excited to see the Conquest go (back) to NOLA, because I don't want to do that long of a drive for any less than a 7 day trip and I like the newer(ish) ships so it was the perfect chance to try to road trip it to port. I love a good road trip and driving along the mississippi (well kind of) sounds like an easy drive. I have been as far as Mississippi and thats an easy drive so how bad can it be right. However, we will have our dd who will be 15 months so I may come back with no hair, but we will see.:eek:

• 2 years later...
I have only been out of Miami so by default it wins. I like that there are so many cruise choices out of Miami that it can't be beat. And honestly from the Midwest it seems that airfare to Miami is as cheap or cheaper than anywhere else (including Fort Lauderdale which is usually only a $10-20 pp difference if that). This cruise we are going out of NOLA and we are driving. So that might become my favorite. I was excited to see the Conquest go (back) to NOLA, because I don't want to do that long of a drive for any less than a 7 day trip and I like the newer(ish) ships so it was the perfect chance to try to road trip it to port. I love a good road trip and driving along the mississippi (well kind of) sounds like an easy drive. I have been as far as Mississippi and thats an easy drive so how bad can it be right. However, we will have our dd who will be 15 months so I may come back with no hair, but we will see.:eek:

We drove to NOLA to go on the Conquest in 2005. I can't remember how long it took us to get there but it would have been cheaper to fly. The roads are so bouncy up and down it cause a brake line in our van to snap. At least we were on the way home. We are cruising on Glory next month. I do like both Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We love Ft. Lauderdale. Doesn't matter what hotel but last time we stayed at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites which was fantastic. Close to everything and big rooms with free continental breakfast. We fly down and rent a car. The Car rental facility is great and fast. There is a lot to do in Ft. Lauderdale including spending an entire day at Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall. That place is HUGE! Then the next day when its time to cruise we drop the car off at the rental facility and they have a free shuttle to the port. Its great!

Baltimore because we live in Maryland. Favorite ever for fun, actually in the terminal while waiting to board, was Galveston, Texas, they were great with songs and games.

Favorite ever for ease was Tampa, twice, they are really smooth there

Bridgetown, Barbados

* because the ship just 10 mins. across the town from my house

* because no more than about 40 cabins board each Wednesday

* because my cabin is always ready as soon as I get on board ship around 11:30

* because there's No Flying/No Airports involved!