My Week On The GREATEST Ship In The World! Allure OTS 10/30/11: A Pictorial Review!

Thanks for the fantastic and thorough review and photos! My family will be cruising on the Allure in March and now I am even more excited!! I have a couple questions on your photos. I am an amateur photog and use a Nikon Coolpix P500. I want to take great photos of this cruise but am concerned because my indoor photos never turn out very well. What settings did you use? What do you suggest? Also, are you allowed to take photos inside the shows? If yes, do you have to turn off the flash?

Thanks again for an awesome review, loved it all!!

My camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS-10) has a really competent Intelligent Auto function that I use most of the time indoors. Sometimes I will switch it to manual and adjust the exposure to lighten or darken the image if the IA isn't getting it right. If all else fails, it has a really nice "Handheld Night Shot" function that does a multi-shot burst without a flash, then combines them into one higher quality image.

Video recording of the shows is a no-no. I think taking pictures is okay as long as you don't use the flash.

I have started writing the review of my cruise on Allure last week. There is simply too much for me to write it in one sitting so I'm just going to have to post it up little by little. I think it will work out better this way, since I have a ton of pictures to sort through and post along with it. So bear with me folks this will probably be a multi-day, or possibly a multi-week affair. But rest assured that I will deliver as complete a report as I possibly can.
Fantastic review, great pis, thanks:)

1362207600.jpg.1daf0ad88711c8cb4b0bcadc55e87a97.jpg

1330239600.jpg.2aa14e1250431b0d1153c5262497e265.jpg

1330844400.jpg.75272b42c73a4b9815602c1517e13bbb.jpg

1361602800.jpg.2d4fb9e1c4de1cf85987769bff513354.jpg

Now that I've read all of the review posts, what an awesome review! You definitely have made me want to check this ship out! It seems though that there are a lot more restaurants that ask for surcharges. The food does look awfully delicious though...

There are a lot of pay-extra venues, but they have done a great job balancing it out on the Oasis and Allure:

Cover Charge:

Chops

Giovanni's Table

150 Central Park

Samba Grill

Izumi

Chef's Table

Johnny Rockets

Rita's Cantina

Ice Cream Parlor

Included:

Main Dining Room

Windjammer

Wipeout Cafe

Park Cafe

Boardwalk Doghouse

Donut Shop

Cafe Promenade

Sorrentos

Spa Cafe

Solarium Bistro

• 3 months later...

Just came off Oasis last week and already booked for Allure April 2013. I had a brand new Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 18-200m lens w/ me, but w/out having time to get used to it, my pictures came out terrible by comparison!

Can you share what equipment you used, and specifically what lenses; you did such a professional job; they are gorgeous! THank you for sharing, carri

Just came off Oasis last week and already booked for Allure April 2013. I had a brand new Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 18-200m lens w/ me, but w/out having time to get used to it, my pictures came out terrible by comparison!

Can you share what equipment you used, and specifically what lenses; you did such a professional job; they are gorgeous! THank you for sharing, carri

Surely, but its nothing special. I used a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10. Its just a long zoom point-and-shoot. I got it shortly before this cruise. I had a Lumix bridge camera previously, but got rid of it for something smaller. I really like the Lumix line, both have been excellent cameras for me.

Image_ZS10k.jpg.1f9cfb4e8fcc9f7bbdfb7184d9402ad7.jpg

Right now we have a Aft balcony with a large balcony facing the back of the ship. My college aged son is going with us. This is on FOS. The Allure lowered price--and we could get a small ocean balcony--Superior Room for 2hundred more than the balcony on FOS. I have it on a 24 hour courtesy hold. What should we do? I do not know which would be better. We are driving and going to stay in Orlando a couple of nights. Then we would drive to Ft. L. But the main thing which would be the better value. In either case, we would eat in Chops one night and the main dining room the rest of the time. We like the shows, and have heard both are good? What should we do? Please help.

Right now we have a Aft balcony with a large balcony facing the back of the ship. My college aged son is going with us. This is on FOS. The Allure lowered price--and we could get a small ocean balcony--Superior Room for 2hundred more than the balcony on FOS. I have it on a 24 hour courtesy hold. What should we do? I do not know which would be better. We are driving and going to stay in Orlando a couple of nights. Then we would drive to Ft. L. But the main thing which would be the better value. In either case, we would eat in Chops one night and the main dining room the rest of the time. We like the shows, and have heard both are good? What should we do? Please help.

For Only 200.00 more, I'd go on the Allure :)

:DAbsolutely LOVED your review and all the PIC's!!! Many of which I've never seen on other reviews before...which IS why we all love reviews with pics!!!

Thanks for taking the time...now I want a new camera before my next cruise...October can't get here quick enough.:D

HI. Love all your pictures and am so excited about the Allure, but now that I am trying to show them to DH, all of them say bandwidth exceeded!! What can I do b/c your pictures are the most awesome EVER! You should work for RCCL's marketing dept!! Please tell me how to fix, thank you so much

• 3 weeks later...