Cruise Etiquette-Slamming Doors/Hallway Chat

weloverunning

I posted this under the new cruisers thread. However, since our next three cruises are on NCL, I will also post here. This is just our opinion and this may not be an issue for some people. (Hey, chair hogs don't bother me but they bother some people)(I just move the stuff:D)

We are getting ready for our 18th cruise in two weeks. This is not a gripe just something I don’t think many people think about in all their excitement about being on a cruise. Please don’t let your cabin doors slam and please don’t stand outside our cabin chatting. We are on vacation and stay up until 2:00 – 3:00 am. That’s what we like to do. When we come down the hall to our cabin, we are very quiet as we realize most people are sleeping. Some people tend to think everyone gets up early on a cruise. The doors start at around 7:00 followed by people walking down the halls laughing, talking, yelling to someone at the other end. Not everyone is on the same schedule (at home some people even work nights and sleep during the day). Some people like to take naps during the afternoon. It is their vacation. God forbid someone is sick and wants to stay in bed and sleep. Maybe they are on the cruise to help recover from a serious illness or trauma in their life. Please be considerate and remember these are the sleeping/private areas of the ship. I’ll also be an advocate for passengers usually on 4th deck or so. When you are going to the tender area or area to get off the ship, be considerate when passing these rooms. These passengers may have chosen not to go to port and would like to sleep in.

How about watching children, not screaming at Front Desk personnel who don't make the rules ? How about not jumping on furniture or leaving burning cigarettes to stain the vanities or worse, the rugs ? I could go on and on. It seems courtesy is a thing of the past.

A good reminder. Unfortunately the people that will understand this, will mostly be the people that would have been quiet in the first place. We've never had this issue on a cruise but lots of times in hotels.

Call me skeptic, but I think if people have not learned common curtesy by the time they reach adulthood, telling them isn't going to sink in then.

It's a valid complaint. A white noise machine (or a docked music player with white noise tracks) would solve all of your problems, though. They are small, convenient, and you will never hear hallway chatters or doors slamming. I bring it on every trip. I'm likely not going to change other people, but I can change how much their behavior affects me. :)

It's a valid complaint. A white noise machine (or a docked music player with white noise tracks) would solve all of your problems, though. They are small, convenient, and you will never hear hallway chatters or doors slamming. I bring it on every trip. I'm likely not going to change other people, but I can change how much their behavior affects me. :)

Very good advice

Hidden in here is some other good advice. If you want to sleep in never book a cabin in deck 4. 100s lined up outside your door on a tender day no matter how considerate will wake the dead.

I always feel so badly for the people in those cabins! That has to be the worst. Even if I was not sleeping I would not want to hear that outside my door.

And lets not forget to lock those sliding glass doors to the balcony when we leave the cabin. A few rough weather days and those doors slamming back and forth. You know what I mean. :eek:

Obviously you've had easier to open patio doors than we've had. Ours took every ounce of effort I had to yank it open. If the ship was rocking enough to open and close ours, I wouldn't have been wanting to be on it in the first place :D

Another reason to love the aft penthouse suites on the Sun. Very secluded and quiet.

We were lucky enough to have cabin 10664 on the Gem which was tucked away in the aft section of the sweet in dead end, we never really heard much of anything. But each day walking down the halls we would here doors slamming shut. 99% of the time was because that particular cabin had their balcony door open and a gust of wind blew the front door shut. Kids running and screaming down the halls is another story. Along with drunks at 2 am getting into a fight with their spouse. Its the same old story, some people go on vacation and act like total ass holes because its their vacation and they can do and act as they please. Or thats how they normally act. While others care about their fellow cruisers........

It's a good thought to try and teach people some common courtesy, but in this day and age it'll probably not be heard or will fall on deaf ears. It won't change peoples habits. I wish it would though. I can't stand people who allow their doors to slam.

Another thing I wish people would do is turn off their balcony light if they're not going to be there. Our neighbours on our Princess cruise ruined a couple nice evenings of stargazing by leaving their balcony light on all night long.

We mentioned it to our room steward one evening, so he went in and flicked it off. He later told us that the neighbours had asked him to STOP turning it off. They asked him to leave it on. Why? We have no idea. They were hardly ever in their cabin. They'd have breakfast on their balcony and then immediately leave about 8am (and slam the door and talk loudly as they wandered down the hall), never to be seen or heard from again until sometime between midnight and 1am (when you could hear them talking loudly as they came up the hall, and then slam the door as they entered their cabin.)

Anyways, the steward kept flicking their balcony light off anyways. :D Jerry was a great room steward.

(I haven't sailed NCL, so perhaps this isn't a problem with NCL. But I've seen this issue mentioned a few times on the Princess boards. And apparently Carnival automatically turns off everyones balcony light every night when at sea.)

It's a good thought to try and teach people some common courtesy, but in this day and age it'll probably not be heard or will fall on deaf ears. It won't change peoples habits. I wish it would though. I can't stand people who allow their doors to slam.

Another thing I wish people would do is turn off their balcony light if they're not going to be there. Our neighbours on our first cruise ruined a couple nice evenings of stargazing by leaving their balcony light on all night long.

We mentioned it to our room steward one evening, so he went in and flicked it off. He later told us that the neighbours had asked him to STOP turning it off. They asked him to leave it on. Why? We have no idea. They were hardly ever in their cabin. They'd have breakfast on their balcony and then immediately leave (and slam the door and talk loudly as they wandered down the hall), never to be seen or heard from again until sometime between midnight and 1am (when you could hear them talking loudly as they came up the hall, and then slam the door as they entered their cabin.)

Anyways, the steward kept flicking their balcony light off anyways. :biggrin: . Jerry was a great room steward.

(I haven't sailed NCL, so perhaps this isn't a problem with NCL. But I've seen this issue mentioned a few times on the Princess boards. And apparently Carnival automatically turns off everyones balcony light every night when at sea.)

:) I don't even know if our balcony had a light, although if it had we wouldn't have used it anyway. It was so nice to sit and listen to the waves with the stars twinkling overhead.

Neng: I have never heard of a white noise machine. I googled it just now to find out what you were talking about. I will definitely be looking to buy one in the next two weeks. Wow! Cruise Critics readers come through again!

I second that- I have construction adjacent to my house and I may have just found the answer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpbcouple

Neng: I have never heard of a white noise machine. I googled it just now to find out what you were talking about. I will definitely be looking to buy one in the next two weeks. Wow! Cruise Critics readers come through again!

I second that- I have construction adjacent to my house and I may have just found the answer!(end Quote)

I have an iPod/iPhone app for that! very efficent....

Bill(DrFootball)

"I wanted a Mission, any Mission. And for my sins, they gave me one"-Martin Sheen as Capt. Ben Willard in Apocalypse Now

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

I posted this under the new cruisers thread. However, since our next three cruises are on NCL, I will also post here. This is just our opinion and this may not be an issue for some people. (Hey, chair hogs don't bother me but they bother some people)(I just move the stuff:D)

We are getting ready for our 18th cruise in two weeks. This is not a gripe just something I don’t think many people think about in all their excitement about being on a cruise. Please don’t let your cabin doors slam and please don’t stand outside our cabin chatting. We are on vacation and stay up until 2:00 – 3:00 am. That’s what we like to do. When we come down the hall to our cabin, we are very quiet as we realize most people are sleeping. Some people tend to think everyone gets up early on a cruise. The doors start at around 7:00 followed by people walking down the halls laughing, talking, yelling to someone at the other end. Not everyone is on the same schedule (at home some people even work nights and sleep during the day). Some people like to take naps during the afternoon. It is their vacation. God forbid someone is sick and wants to stay in bed and sleep. Maybe they are on the cruise to help recover from a serious illness or trauma in their life. Please be considerate and remember these are the sleeping/private areas of the ship. I’ll also be an advocate for passengers usually on 4th deck or so. When you are going to the tender area or area to get off the ship, be considerate when passing these rooms. These passengers may have chosen not to go to port and would like to sleep in.

I guess we've been very fortunate. In more than a dozen cruises on a variety of lines, cruising mostly in Oceanview cabins but also a couple insides and balcony twice, we have never had people talking loudly in the hallways or letting their doors slam.

We are not early risers, nor do we stay up extra late, and we often take afternoon naps. Never have we been disturbed by this kind of inconsiderate behavior, nor have we had children running in the hallways which we've experienced in hotels.

As I said, I guess we've been fortunate. I presumed cruisers were more thoughtful than most hotel patrons.

Hidden in here is some other good advice. If you want to sleep in never book a cabin in deck 4. 100s lined up outside your door on a tender day no matter how considerate will wake the dead.

Must depend on the ship. We've sometimes had a cabin on deck 4 but tender embarkation was on deck 3 where there were no passenger cabins.

Dr. Football: Can I use the Iphone app on my phone while at sea without it costing me? Is there a particular app you use? Now that I look, there are a lot of them. Or do I download on my ipod on my iphone? I guess if I am in airplane mode I wouldn't get any surprises from AT&T when I get home.

Must depend on the ship. We've sometimes had a cabin on deck 4 but tender embarkation was on deck 3 where there were no passenger cabins.

Never been on deck 3 on an NCL ship except on a behind the scenes tour. It is below the water line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...another etiquette issue...

It would seem that a fair share of cruisers have never been taught how to properly enter an elevator (not that it's really limited to ships).

I can't tell you how many times we arrive at our floor only to have the doors open and people storm in, often going around the side of you as you try to get out.

Simple protocol and manners -- the slow decline of civilization! :rolleyes:

Oh well!

Tom

It would seem that a fair share of cruisers have never been taught how to properly enter an elevator (not that it's really limited to ships).

I can't tell you how many times we arrive at our floor only to have the doors open and people storm in, often going around the side of you as you try to get out.

Oh well!

Tom

Aint that the truth . I always watch for that and yell, "comin out" ;)

Oh well!

Tom

And the opposite when I step back to let folks off the elevator and watch some idiot on the elevator push the close door button before we can get on.

And the opposite when I step back to let folks off the elevator and watch some idiot on the elevator push the close door button before we can get on.

:eek::mad: Oh thats just RUDE ... LOL . That I have not witnessed Yet...

:eek::mad: Oh thats just RUDE ... LOL . That I have not witnessed Yet...

Yep!

Some elevators are VERY quick to close (guillotine like) when that button is pressed. Others, like the ones I find myself in frequently, seem to have dummy "Close Door" buttons - I press them, and wait ...

Tom

Archived